We are 144,996 members in 73 forums discussing 114,812 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: One Breast has become larger then the other

Topic: One Breast has become larger then the other

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried — Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time.

Posted on: May 5, 2011 02:56PM, edited May 5, 2011 02:58PM by nicreed

nicreed wrote:

One Breast has become larger then the other,
About a month ago I noticed my left breast had become much larger then the right. It was a bit painful in one spot so I went to my PCP who said she felt maybe a small cyst. She sent me for a mamogram and a sonogram of which both came back normal and no evidence of the "cyst" she felt. I am only 35 and my breast are not big and have always been pretty much equal. Currently I am not having anymore pain but my left breast is still bigger and I am starting to think maybe my right breast is actually shrinking? Is that possible? Left breast overflows my bra and right one barely fills it at all. When I lie down my left is up on my chest and the right almost looks as if I am flat chested...my shirts r uneven, my cleavage is uneven and I am scared to death. With my mamogram and sonogram being fine what could this be? Can is still be cancer? I have an appt with a breast surgeon next wek but any suggestions or feedback would really help.
Thanks so much!

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

May 5, 2011 03:45PM, edited May 5, 2011 03:50PM by leaf

I'm sorry you're going through this.

I've read somewhere that most (not all, but most) women have unequal sized breasts.  I certainly have unequal sized breasts, but this trend started in my early teenage years.

I know there are women who do end up having breast cancer and their symptom was unequal sized breasts.  So its good you are getting this checked out.

However, there are OTHER causes of relatively rapid unequal sized breasts -  such as giant fibroadenomas. (Fibroadenomas are almost always benign.)

This case report cites a quickly expanding breast mass that was 23x28 cm. (That's roughly 10inches x 10 inches.) www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20... Of course,fibroadenomas can be much smaller than this.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16958965

This 43 year old had a fibroadenoma that was roughly 5 pounds. (size 23x20x13 cm and weight 2680 grams) www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16...

I think many women have increased breast sizes when their breasts are exposed to estrogen, such as when they take birth control pills or become pregnant.

Good for you for getting this checked out!  I know this process can be full of anxiety, and I'm not trying to diminish what you are feeling.    Holding my hand out to you.

If you're going through hell, keep going-Winston Churchill

Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, Stage 0, ER+/PR-Hormonal Therapy 07/15/2006 Tamoxifen

May 5, 2011 03:49PM radiant wrote:

I'm glad you have an appt w/a breast surgeon next week. You may need to get an MRI just to be sure. I would pay for it out of pocket.

This is coming from someone you did not notice that one breast was larger than the other and now I'm stage IV. I was dx at a young age as well. Due to dense tissue, nothing showed on the mammogram, ever - and they missed it for at least 4 years the surgeon said.

Note:  They CAN NOT tell by feel. You need much better testing than that. Thermography mght be helpful as well.

You are one smart person to even allow yourself to think about bc. It would have never occurred to me at your age.

Good luck - Kim

Kim, Stage IV, triple +. First dx 2005, stage 3C, mets 2010

Jun 3, 2013 03:24PM, edited Jun 3, 2013 03:30PM by Suzybee

I have been worried sick because my biopsies are not until next week due to other problems , and I have one breast that is quite a bit bigger than the other and it is the breast in question, It is very painful and just odd and I know it sounds crazy but when you have the possibilty of breast cancer you check the girls out and the one in question seems heavier too. I am freaked out I mean I have alot of struggles with other health problems ,  I have been on home health for ten years due to health issues I am mostly homebound but I am young , I hope I still can gain some get up and go and then to hear tne BC possibility it has been a blow. I noticed when both ladies started to sag south a few years ago and then my left hotty started heading north again and she is just warm and swollen sore ...........I just do not know I am in the dark.