We are 144,815 members in 73 forums discussing 114,658 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: Question about breast pain.......What's yours feel like?

Topic: Question about breast pain.......What's yours feel like?

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried — Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time.

Posted on: Aug 15, 2011 12:58PM

Rushell wrote:

I know many Doctors have said, and many documents you read will say........ breast cancer mostly does not present with any pain.

So I have wondered......How many women here have had breast pain, only to BE diagnosed? And what was your pain like? Was it a constaint dull ache? A sharpe pain in a specific area? Heavy feeling inside your breast?

I personally know of a few women who were diagnosed with cancer.....each with different symptoms, but they all said that they had either a heaviness in their breast, or a dull ache.

Thanks in advance for all your input.

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Aug 15, 2011 08:15PM bevin wrote:

HI, PePe, I had pain in my breast for about 8 months before I was diagnosed.  I put off going to the doctor because pain is not normally associated with BC.  However, since coming here, I have met many women who had pain. My pain was noticed especially if I slept on my stomach or my breast was pressed on. It was constant. My tumor was against the chest wall and at the 6pm position . I understand that area has some nerve endings and probably my tumor was pressing on a nerve.

Age 45, Oncotype 11, Primary Tumor 2.1 cm, smaller satellite tumor nearby

Dx 8/8/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 08/10/2010 Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Right)Radiation Therapy 10/10/2010 External

Aug 15, 2011 11:35PM CoolBreeze wrote:

I always had painful breasts - lumps and aches.

When I got cancer, it was a burning pain.

No difference when I touched it, it was all the time.  The most striking symptom though, was how tired I was (am).  Each time my cancer is active, I get very sleepy. 

Ann's cancer blog: www.butdoctorihatepink.com .....multicentric/multifocal IDC/ILC+DCIS/LCIS/ADH Official dx? "Your breast was a mess." ~UniMastectomy/Chemo/Herceptin/Tamoxifen/Recon Almost Done! Oh wait. mets to liver 5/21/11 Now Stage IV

Dx 8/17/2009, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Aug 16, 2011 12:00AM jessjoy wrote:

Good question Rushell! I was just wondering the same thing. There are so many websites out there that say different things, it's confusing for sure. To add to Rushell's question, what age were you ladies when you noticed the pain? I've personally been dealing with constant pain from my left breast, very similar to what you have described Bevin. My pain feels like it is mainly coming from the outer fatty part, between 4 & 5 o'clock. I can't sleep on my left side at all due to it. Bevin, did you have a palpable lump at 6 o'clock? How was it found & diagnosed?

Dx

Aug 16, 2011 12:32AM Angelice wrote:

Hi ladies.. I had bought new bras, one in particular sat right on the lump, right breast. at the time I thought was the bra feeling tight , and un comfortable little did I know was a lump it was sitting on or close, felt a bruised feeling , some reason after a shower my hand went there I felt it was a lump , from there it all started ... So I would say yes was pain Ful bruised feeling as well as sharp pain at times ..

Dx 6/13/2010, 5cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 3/18 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Aug 16, 2011 03:00AM bella76 wrote:

My Cancer is painful, it only started hurting a few weeks ago but it is constantly there, an aching pain, sometimes shooting pains as well.

Micropapillary BC

Dx 8/2/2011, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIa, Grade 1, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Aug 16, 2011 08:29AM Rushell wrote:

Thank you ladies. I am greatful for the input to this question as way too many Doctors cop out on someones concerns by saying "breast cancer doesn't present with pain."

My breasts have always hurt for about a week before my monthly would begin. That pain is SO MUCH DIFFERENT than the pain that I have now, that is only in one breast.

The pain I have now is very similar to what CoolBreeze described. It is a burning pain through my breast, right through to my nipple. It is not like any other pain I have had in my breast before. The burning sensation is also accompanied by a dull ache inside my breast. Touching it does not matter to the pain. It is always there. Sometimes it even gives me a heavy feeling on my chest and I find myself grabbing a big breath of air.......weird.

Aug 16, 2011 08:37AM Lavender250 wrote:

It's the same thing with "mobility". People describe that in such different ways. Some say the lump moves all around the breast. Some say you can actually grab onto it. My doc said my lump was "mobile" but it only moves from the very top. It feels attached to "something" but moves a lot on the surface. Nobody really knows. My breast surgeon just told me that she thought mine was benign because of the length of it.... but I've seen a few people say they had a long lump. It's just maddening. I wish cancer had more noticeable characteristics. Biopsies are painful and stressful. It would be nice to have a few other ways to detect cancer.

As far as pain... I haven't been diagnosed yet.... but my pain is pretty bad on both lumps. My right side being the worst although I don't yet know if it's from touching it so much. I'm trying to stop touching so I can tell for sure. The pain is VERY sore when touched and mildly sore when not touched. It doesn't generally hurt on it's own and I'm more comfortable when I'm not touching it. I'm able to sleep on my stomach with no problems but it might be because my lump is closer to my armpit.

Aug 16, 2011 07:12PM bevin wrote:

HI Jessjoy- My tumor was palpable, but I will say, I didnt know what it was. It didnt feel like what I thought BC would feel like and it was more of a thickened feeling under my breast and if I pushed up. under it. My tumor was about 2cm in from the edge of the underside of my breast . I think if its in the outer quadrant you may feel something different.  I hope this helped. 

Bevin

Age 45, Oncotype 11, Primary Tumor 2.1 cm, smaller satellite tumor nearby

Dx 8/8/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 08/10/2010 Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Right)Radiation Therapy 10/10/2010 External

Aug 18, 2011 02:08PM jessjoy wrote:

Bevin- I have read about this "thickening" but what does it really feel like? I'm sure you've heard of the incapsulated feeling that some women will talk about it implants...that is kinda how this feels sometimes, as if my left breast is just incapsulated, even though I do not have implants. Its such a strange feeling. My hard lump is in the fatty part on the outside and is hard as a rock, still kinda small though, maybe the size of a m&m. Since I have so many lumps in both breasts i'm sure that most, if not all, are fibroids...but the fact that at least this one lump is hard and that even though I have lumps in both breasts ONLY the left one hurts, is a few of the many reasons i'm so concerned. As I've learned from this site and others, BC just doesnt have a way it'll always feel, it's so different from person to person. Thank you so much for your posts and advise:) It helps more than you can know:)

Dx