We are 145,005 members in 73 forums discussing 114,829 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: Complications after stereotactic biopsy

Topic: Complications after stereotactic biopsy

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried — Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time.

Posted on: Jan 10, 2012 09:34AM

seemz wrote:

Two weeks ago, I had a stereotactic biopsy done for calcifications in my left breast. The radiologist said she was going to take 12 samples? The biopsy itself was a little painful for me and i was told that they used a lot of the anesthetic to numb the area. I got my biopsy results 2 days later and it was benign - fibrocystic changes in the breast. Since then, i was a little sore around the biopsy site and also noticed a hard lump forming about an inch below the biopsy site. Called the nurse at the breast care center and she said it was common and that it should go away. The pain was decreasing over the days but could still feel the hardish lump....and now yesterday, suddenly it has become very painful and it seems like the hard lump has gotten a little bigger and getting very sore. What could it be? Is it a hematoma? Has anyone else experienced this after a stereotactic biopsy? I am going to go see my doctor today to get it examined but getting very worried. I had just stopped worrying about all my breast issues over the past few months and now this!

Thanks!

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Jan 10, 2012 09:49AM ali68 wrote:

Hi I' m not good with knowing what the names are on biopsies. Anyway I had eight needle samples with pain relief. It took a month for the pain to go and my lump on my breast and under my arm swelled to three times the size. The surgeon had a look at said it was normal. It has settled down and has gone now. I had this done on 7th dec. I'm sure it's just the same.

Alison

Dx 12/7/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 9/32 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-Chemotherapy 01/13/2012 fluorouracil, TaxotereSurgery 06/19/2012 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Hormonal Therapy 07/25/2012 TamoxifenRadiation Therapy 08/02/2012 External

Jan 10, 2012 11:48AM, edited Jan 10, 2012 11:49AM by leaf

When I had hematomas after my stereotactic biopsies and after my excision, I sure knew it.  First, when I was getting up out of the boob-holes after the procedure, I saw that I was dripping blood into a bucket that  was partly filled!  Then, they had to compress me - on one it was for over 1.5 hours. About 2 days later, there was black on the undersides of my breast (the blood had pooled on the bottom of my breast due to gravity), and got worse over the next several days.  It looked awful but didn't feel bad.  There was blood reported in the samples in my pathology report. For the first weeks, there was also a 'dent' at the incision site. Over the months, this gradually changes from black to purple to green to yellow, and finally disappeared as the blood was absorbed back into my body.  I also had the hard lump  - that also took several months to return to normal.  But some 6 months later, the only thing I could see was a faint pink line where the incision was. (The dent disappeared.)

But my incision didn't grow in tenderness, so I'm glad you're getting it checked out.   I would want to get checked about possible infection.

If you're going through hell, keep going-Winston Churchill

Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, Stage 0, ER+/PR-Hormonal Therapy 07/15/2006 Tamoxifen

Jan 10, 2012 01:26PM seemz wrote:

I went to my doctor and she examined me and she thinks it might be a start of an infection since i am getting a lot of pain. I also for the first time noticed two small dots of blood inside my bra when i was dressing up. I showed the doctor this and she said not to worry that the bood that is pooling inside has to come out of somewhere so it is coming out of the nipple. This has scared me more now. Never had bloody nipple discharge before. I have been prescribed antibiotics for the infection. I hope it works.

One other question i had is with a stereotactic biopsy would it pick up any other kind of cancers in that area?? For example, the reason i had to get a biopsy was for calcifications but i also had pain in that breast. I was given an US and mammo but they couldnt find any reason for the pain. The mammo picked up the calcifications hence i got the biopsy. Would IBC show up on a stereotactic biopsy or one would need another kind of biopsy? Thanks!

Jan 11, 2012 03:53AM, edited Jan 11, 2012 12:54PM by leaf

I don't have inflammatory breast cancer, nor do I have invasive breast cancer.   They often do puch biopsies to diagnose inflammatory breast cancer, which take a piece of skin.

I know it can be very hard to diagnose, and is unusual.  Inflammatory breast cancer can sometimes be picked up from a mammogram or ultrasound or a stereotactic biopsy, but probably not reliably. www.cancer.org/Cancer/BreastCa... www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/fa...

I've read sometimes they diagnose inflammatory breast cancer solely on a clinical basis.  I've certainly read stories here of women who had negative punch biopsies, but ended up being diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer.  I think sometimes it only shows up in certain areas of the breast, so I'm guessing they can have trouble in finding the proper place to biopsy?

Breast pain is a very common symptom in the general population  www.mayoclinic.com/health/brea... so just because you have breast pain doesn't mean you have inflammatory breast cancer or any kind of breast cancer.  I don't have any personal experience of breast pain, but it sounds like often they can't find a reason for breast pain.

But its very good you are getting it checked out.

If you're going through hell, keep going-Winston Churchill

Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, Stage 0, ER+/PR-Hormonal Therapy 07/15/2006 Tamoxifen