We are 144,834 members in 73 forums discussing 114,673 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: What was your BIRAD score prio to diagnosis?

Topic: What was your BIRAD score prio to diagnosis?

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried — Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time.

Posted on: Mar 10, 2012 01:05AM

Mommygg19 wrote:

Hi! I have been lurking here for awhile. My sister was diagnosed with breast cancer, very early DCIS hormone receptor+, and had a BRCA negative gene test late last year. I have had a lump/ thickening for about two years which they have just been watching due to my age (32) and previous lack of family hx. Last month they did a full work up MRI, US, mammo. I apparently have very dense breast tissue and the first reports came back all clear on all of the tests. A few days later I received a call saying I could come in for follow/biopsy anytime or have another MRI done in 6 months. Apparently they did see something in the area I have been feeling although it appears benign on the MRI with a BIRAD score of 4. My doctor is awesome and I have an appt scheduled to discuss biopsy on Monday. I have been fine with all of this but the reality that If the biopsy is abnormal -my life could totally change has been freaking me out. My sister's doctor did not expect to find cancer on her biopsy either so my question for all of you wise and brave women is what was your BIRAD rating/doctors impression prior to your diagnosis? How often are those scores wrong or can I stop worrying?? Thank you so much in advance!

Posts 1 - 12 (12 total)

Mar 10, 2012 01:35AM CoolBreeze wrote:

The birads score is not diagnostic, it is only used to determine when to biopsy or not. They only biopsy birad scores of four to five. 80 percent of bipsies come back benign, and guess what? All of those folks had birads 4/5.

I've been on this board for about three years, and I've seen the majority of worried women, most with 4/5 come back benign. Only a small minority get the bad news.

So, the odds are in your favor. Try not to worry. At this point, it is what it is, and worrying won't change anything.. Easier said than done, I know,

Hugs..

Ann's cancer blog: www.butdoctorihatepink.com .....multicentric/multifocal IDC/ILC+DCIS/LCIS/ADH Official dx? "Your breast was a mess." ~UniMastectomy/Chemo/Herceptin/Tamoxifen/Recon Almost Done! Oh wait. mets to liver 5/21/11 Now Stage IV

Dx 8/17/2009, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Mar 10, 2012 10:39AM Beesie wrote:

Coolbreeze is exactly right.  Biopsies are always done if the rating is BIRADs 4 or BIRADs 5.  Every so often a biopsy will be done on a BIRADs 3 but probably 95% of biopsies are BIRADs 4 or 5, with most being BIRADs 4. So if everyone here answered your question, you'd get a lot of women saying that they started out with BIRADs 4, just like you.  And that would scare you.  

But what you have to keep in mind is that this is a breast cancer discussion board. The women who hang out here are the ones who were diagnosed with breast cancer.  We are the 20% minority whose biopsies came back positive.  Most of the women who fall into the other 80%, all those who had negative biopsies, are here for just a few days or weeks and then happily leave when they get the news that the results are benign. They are not around here to tell you that they too had a BIRADs 4 screening and ended up with a benign result.

Good luck with your biopsy.  Hopefully you will be one of the 80% with a benign biopsy result. 

Dx 9/15/05, DCIS-MI, 6cm+ Gr3 DCIS w/IDC microinvasion, Stage I, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR- “No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Mar 10, 2012 02:10PM Mommygg19 wrote:

Bessie and coolbreeze thanks so much for you responses. In my head I know there is more of a chance that this is nothing to be to concerned about but that little bit of fear creeps in. I have a lot of questions for the doctor on Monday and I am hoping to feel better after talking with her. I think first hearing that everything was ok and the getting a call back is sort of what has thrown me for a loop. Prior to my MRI it sounded like she wanted to do needle biopsy but now wants to do an excision so that also makes me a little more nervous (although my sister said the excision hurt less than the needle biopsy). I really really can't say enough about the amazing strong women on this board. I was afraid to post for a while because I feel like all of this is nothing compared to what so many of you have been through... Thanks again for the advice and support!!
:)

Mar 10, 2012 02:26PM CoolBreeze wrote:

All of us, at one point, where where you are right now, so we understand.

Let's hope that you don't get to where we are.  :) 

Ann's cancer blog: www.butdoctorihatepink.com .....multicentric/multifocal IDC/ILC+DCIS/LCIS/ADH Official dx? "Your breast was a mess." ~UniMastectomy/Chemo/Herceptin/Tamoxifen/Recon Almost Done! Oh wait. mets to liver 5/21/11 Now Stage IV

Dx 8/17/2009, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Mar 10, 2012 02:33PM, edited Mar 10, 2012 02:35PM by Sassa

I had a BIRADs 3 on my right breast (come back in 6 months).  My primary care doctor insisted I go in for a biopsy.  A very aggressive small tumor was found.  Luckily, I was stage 1; in six months time I probably would have been stage 4 as the cells were dividing like wildfire (KI67 of 70%).

My left breast received a BIRADS 5 rating in a mammogram six months after the right breast was diagnosed.  I went right in for a simple mastectomy as I wanted the left breast gone because of gross body asymmetry causing neck, back and shoulder pain.  Everything in the left breast was benign. 

Dx 11/6/2006, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Apr 1, 2012 08:17PM Mommygg19 wrote:

Lumpectomy of breast and 1 lymph node removed last week. Now just waiting for pathology. Thanks for your posts and support!!

Jen:)

Apr 21, 2012 08:49PM Southbay22 wrote:

Last year I had an MRI BIRAD of 2 on both breasts. This year I had a BIRAD of 4B on my left breast. Ultrasound was negative for any findings. Pending an MRI guided biopsy in the next 2 weeks. Strong family history: 2 sisters with breast cancer and I have extreme dense breast tissue. The waiting period is the worst! 

Apr 22, 2012 05:41PM Fergy wrote:

Mommygg19 can you tell us what your results were from the lumpectomy and lymph node removal?

3 years ago I had a BIRADS 4C and the results were a benigned condition called sclerosing adenosis.  It causes clusters of calcifications the same as some cancers do.  Like the other ladies have said, everyone that gets a biopsy has either BIRADS 4 or 5 otherwise they would not be getting a biopsy.  80% of biopsies are benign.  I was fortunate in they took out all of the calcifications with the biopsy and I haven't had any new ones since.  Hope this helps.

May 2, 2012 07:31PM Mommygg19 wrote:

Hi my results were benign! I am high risk due to family hx. I am hoping that next years scan looks less scary! Thanks for all the support!!

May 2, 2012 07:52PM Fergy wrote:

YEAH Mommygg19, so happy for you!

May 2, 2012 08:07PM marie5890 wrote:

YAY Mommy!!!

ENjoy your spring and summer!!! 

DO NOT READ ANYTHING INTO THE TECH'S EXPRESSION OR WHAT THE TECH SAYS. Jan '11 Biopsy Dx-ed a PASH tumor (rare, but benign tumor)....All I ask is for peace and serenity to the depths of my soul. Makes the rest of life more live-able.

May 3, 2012 05:35AM hawaiik wrote:

Hi, I had a BIRAD score of 4 and my diagnosis ended up being DCIS.

ER 70% 1-2+, PR 50% 1-2+ BMX with DTI Recon SalineDec27 ,2011 , exchange surgery to silicone 11/29/2012

Dx 8/3/2011, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+Surgery 08/01/2011 Lumpectomy (Left)Surgery 12/27/2011 Mastectomy (Both); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left); Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)Surgery 11/29/2012 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)