We are 144,880 members in 73 forums discussing 114,703 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: 22 years old & I found a lump

Topic: 22 years old & I found a lump

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried — Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time.

Posted on: May 10, 2012 10:46AM

Lamigo wrote:

Hello,

Don't know what I want from posting this, suppose just someone who's been in a similar place to me.
The last few months have been hard mentally and ive lost a lot of weight this is when I first started to feel the lump - so to me i feels it has got bigger but it could just be the weight ive lost from my breasts and now showing its true size.
So decided to bite the bullet today and get the doctor to have a look - when she told me to lift my arms up she said she could see the lump even when i pointed it out (its more at the top of the breast) also she found another one in the other breast too.
Ive always had a little lumpy breasts and tender before periods etc but she said these lumps feel different to the surrounding lumpiness.
It feels smooth/round about the size of a grape and quite hard. When i press down on the lump it doesnt hurt but both breasts are VERY sore n tender - have to wear a bra all the time. Also im not due a period - im very irregular - ive had 3 periods since August. So i dont know could this be related to hormones?
The doctor has referred me to hospital for a mammogram(think she said)nwhich takes 4 weeks but im sure i remember seeing on the news that they dont show up well on young women?
Any advice or if you've been in a similar situation would help, as im kinda freaking out.
Oh also my dads mother was diagnosed with breast cancer at 40 and died of it, she went to dr few times before but they said it was just a cyst!

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

May 10, 2012 10:51AM schatzi14 wrote:

Lamigo..Your Dr. did the right thing sending you for a mammogram. It is possible being so young that your breasts are very dense, therefore they may need further tests. Please try not to panic...most are B9. Even if the worst happens, there are so many treatments available. We have all been there and I found the worry was far worse than the actual knowing. The treatments available are varied and if worse comes to worse, they will find one to suit your needs. I know it's dumb to say don't worry but just hang in there!!!!

Dx 7/25/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 1/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-Surgery 08/18/2011 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Chemotherapy 10/20/2011 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolHormonal Therapy 03/01/2012 ArimidexRadiation Therapy 03/05/2012 External

May 10, 2012 10:59AM Lamigo wrote:

Thankyou schatzi14!!

I know i just cant believe this is happening to me again!!
When i was 18 i had a mri scan of my wrist which showed a tumour! And i had to go through all the worrying crap and a biopsy with an ultrasound which he found nothing then in the end had to be put asleep for them to do a biopsy and they said it wasnt cancerous thankgod but that t could cause more damage removing it to my arteries/veins so now im stuck with that lump in my wrist and now 4 years later i have to go through all that crap again :( But even worse it being in the breasts :( iget so embarassed its taken me months to show go to the doctor!!

May 10, 2012 11:04AM schatzi14 wrote:

Lamigo...don't ever be embarrassed by showing your breasts to a Dr. To them it is just tissue...they aren't really looking at a breast per se, just feeling for lumps etc. I guess to them breasts are just like a leg or an arm. Sorry you have been thru so much at such an early age, but hopefully this will be nothing too!

I noticed you spell tumour with a "u"...are you a Canuck? I am...live in Oakville, ON.

Dx 7/25/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 1/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-Surgery 08/18/2011 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Chemotherapy 10/20/2011 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolHormonal Therapy 03/01/2012 ArimidexRadiation Therapy 03/05/2012 External

May 10, 2012 11:25AM Lamigo wrote:

I know i shouldnt be embarassed thats the least of my worried but i am and have always been self conscious of my body could never change in front of people so its a huge deal!
Im from the UK :)

May 10, 2012 11:56AM schatzi14 wrote:

aha...that explains the spelling. We spell the same way as you. ie: humour...odour etc.

May 11, 2012 10:42PM Srrme wrote:

Hi. I am in a similar situation. I too am 22 years old, and have recently found a few lumps in my breast. I am seeing a Doctor next week and will go from there.

May 12, 2012 07:08AM Joy_ wrote:

Srrme, it's probably benign, but you're doing the right thing getting it checked.  Breasts can be lumpy just before or during a period so bear that in mind.  I hope all turns out well for you.

May 14, 2012 07:29PM Lamigo wrote:

Ive always had lumly breasts before n after period but ive only had 3 periods in 9months and my breasts stay so sore all the time now even all that time between periods n its only with losing weight that i noticed a hard different type of lump! Argh

Jul 13, 2012 01:16PM k-fierce wrote:

I had a lumpectomy when I was 20 which turned out to be a benign phyllodes tumor that was turning malignant and I'm 21 now and had a double mastecomy. Your doc probably just like mine did..b/c since we're probably young our breast can be dense so she just wants to make sure. It's probably cysts or benign tumors. good luck!

Surgery 03/15/2011 Lumpectomy (Right)Surgery 06/20/2012 Mastectomy (Both); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Both)Surgery 06/20/2012 Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both)Surgery 01/16/2013 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)