We are 144,849 members in 73 forums discussing 114,684 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: Waiting for consultation..worried I'm worrying too much!

Topic: Waiting for consultation..worried I'm worrying too much!

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried — Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time.

Posted on: Jun 21, 2012 02:37PM, edited Jun 21, 2012 02:42PM by hippyatheart

hippyatheart wrote:

Hi,

I've been reading this board for the last week or so and I have to say it's been invaluable for me to understand different conditions and symptoms, and the support and empathy I see is amazing. I found a small lump under my nipple last week, and when I press it I get a rusty / bloody discharge and a very slight pain. I've been to the doctors now and they've referred me to the breast clinic and I'm going in Monday for a consultation. It's all happened so quickly..

I worry too much at the best of times and so have typically self diagnosed myself via Google, and think I may have an Interductal papilloma as all signs seem to point to this. I don't even know what I'm hoping to get from posting on here, I just thought perhaps someone might have had a simliar experience and be able to offer some guidance as to what to expect at the hospital, and what else maybe it could be.. I was a little reticent to start this topic as as I haven't even been seen yet. I'm too much of a worrier..

Thanks for listening x 

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Jun 21, 2012 06:20PM, edited Jun 21, 2012 06:21PM by GrandmaV

hippy, I'm a worrier, too.  But it can serve us well at times, while at other times it just causes us to get stressed out.  A Breast clinic is a great choice.  They have more experience, and expertise than our regular doctors.  They will examine your breasts and if you haven't already, they will most likely order mammogram and/or sonogram to get an idea of what the next step will be.  I have no experience with papillomas, but I do know how you feel waiting for appointments and tests.  It's horrible.  Our minds always go to the worst case scenario.  I think you're in good hands.  I hope everything goes well for you.
Dx 9/1/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+Surgery 10/11/2011 Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Right)Chemotherapy 11/04/2011 carboplatin, TaxotereTargeted Therapy 11/04/2011 HerceptinRadiation Therapy 02/13/2012 ExternalHormonal Therapy 04/01/2012 Femara

Jun 22, 2012 10:03AM oregongal wrote:

I have had quite a few papillomas, some bleed, some don't, some near the nipple, some further away.  If you still have bloody discharge on Monday, they will test to make sure it is blood, then the next step is a ductogram, but not always.  A ductogram sounds worse than it is, they basically put dye into the ductal system.  If you haven't already had it done, they will do an ultrasound.  If they only see this one papilloma and since yours is so close to the nipple, they just may remove it, but may opt for a core biopsy first.  I have had some removed right in the BS's office.  They always remove the little buggers, since rarely they could have cancer or ADH around them.  If you have just a single papilloma, your risk for BC is very low.  If you have multiples and especially with ADH, your risk jumps up.  I have been battling these and various other lumps for 16 years, literally lost count of the biopsies, had some with ADH and still, thankfully, I have not had BC.  I have only had one MRI, where I am the insurance want a family history before okaying an MRI, but have read on the boards of other having a MRI after being diagnosed with papillomas to help with the monitoring.  This is nice, as I have had them not show up on the mammogram and even ultrasound. I am not sure what else it could be, maybe someone else could come along and offer advice. 

16 year history of papillomas, ADH and various other lumps so I don't get bored. Still Cancer Free!

Jun 23, 2012 03:54PM purplestar wrote:

im going for a biospy too, and i so scared. the waiting has me so anxious, i have a large irregular mass in breast. im going out of my mind. has anyone had this? let know what happen. thanks

Dx 7/13/2012, IDC, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 23, 2012 03:55PM purplestar wrote:

im going for a biospy too, and i so scared. the waiting has me so anxious, i have a large irregular mass in breast. im going out of my mind. has anyone had this? let know what happen. thanks

Dx 7/13/2012, IDC, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 18, 2012 10:28AM hippyatheart wrote:

Hi ladies, thanks for your comments.. have now had a mammogram and ultrasound and they couldn't find any lump which they previosuly thought they might have felt. Results from test of the discharge has showed red blood cells, but no cancerous cells.

they now think its a papilloma, so have to go for an op to remove the duct and then do tests on that to see if it is cancerous and also to see if they've removed the right one which hopefully will stop the symptoms. 

feel a bit better as I've had all these tests and nothing has been found, so hoping after the op they'll confirm that. trying not to worry but is difficult. hope this might help others who have had the same symptoms and are worried too..x

Jul 18, 2012 11:25AM bundleofstress wrote:

I've been trying to stay off-line and reading any and all info I can find because the more I read the more scared I become. But somehow knowing I'm not the only nervous nelly seems to help since everyone keeps telling not to worry and the odds are in my favor. It's just nice to know I'm not going crazy worrying before I have the results but the radiologist report does not sound good. At the end of the report it said BIRADS 4 suspicious abnormality. I have bi-lateral loosely grouped calcifications and the radiologist report read like this:

Findings:
In the left breast, at the 1:00 axis, there is a partially solid partially cystic lesion measuring 1.8 x 1.1 x 1.2 cm with a central cystic area measuring 0.7 x 0.7 x 0.9 cm, demonstrating peripheral color flow Doppler signal. At the 4:00 axis, there is a complex solid cystic lesion measuring 0.7 x 0.5 x 0.9 cm, without significant color Doppler flow. There are multiple hypoechoic to anechoic well-circumscribed structures in the left breast, corresponding to cysts, between the 11 :00 and 1:00 axis in the left breast, ranging from 0.1 cm to 0.8 x 0.6 x 0.7 cm in size. At the 5:00 axis, there is a cyst measuring 0.6 x 0.6 x 0.7 cm. Additionally, the 9:00 axis there is another cystic structure measuring 0.4 x 0.4 x 0.4 cm. In the left axilla, there are 2 lymph nodes measuring 0.8 x 0.6 x 1 cm with cortex of 0.1 cm and a second lymph node measuring 2.4 x 1.3 x 1.2 cm with cortex thickness of 0.2 cm. .In the right breast, there is a solid, predominantly hypoechoic, anti-parallel lesion at the 10:00 axis measuring 0.7 x 0.8 x 0.6 cm. There is also a septated cyst at the 2:00 axis measuring 0.6 x 0.7 x 1.1 cm. The septum thickness measures 0.1 cm. Multiple retroareolar cysts are seen measuring anywhere from 2.8 x 0.5 cm to 1.2 x 0.7 cm. There are also tubular hypoechoic structures at the 2:00 and 9:00 axis with diameters 0.3 cm; likely representing focally ectatic ducts. Within the lumen of one of these ectatic ducts, at the 9:00 axis, there is suggestion of a soft tissue structure. In the right axilla, there is a lymph node measuring 1.6 x 0.9 x 1 cm with the cortex of 0.3 cm and a second lymph node measuring 1.2 x 0.6 x 0.9 cm with the cortex of 0.1 cm.

I had a bi-lateral biopsy done on Monday (thank god with light sedation since there were 2 done on each side) but now this waiting game is driving me crazy! I don't get the results till Friday morning and only the worst keeps going thru my head. I know my husband is trying to be supportive but if I hear say tome one more time to stop worrying and there's nothing ot worry about I might just strangle him -- okay not really but.... Please tell me I'm not going crazy!