We are 144,884 members in 73 forums discussing 114,706 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: Call back on Mammogram

Topic: Call back on Mammogram

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried — Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time.

Posted on: Nov 18, 2012 11:12AM

kkuziel wrote:

I've just been called back for an ultrasound after having my annual mammogram. I'm completely freaked out. I went to my ob/gyn the same day and she felt no lumps. I did see my mammogram and noticed a bright white spot on the picture with what looked like blood vessels coming from it. I have no idea what that is and of course I'm obsessing about that picture even though I have idea what breast they are concerned about. Could this be cancer. I'm 56 and have been getting my annual mammogram for the past 16 years with no call back. I am currently going through menopause, but have not completed as of yet. Any I for would be appreciated.

Posts 1 - 22 (22 total)

Nov 18, 2012 12:01PM amanda1116 wrote:

First of all, this could be the film or digital image on the mammogram and not you at all.  Did they take extra pictures?  Because if nothing is felt on exam, usually more mammo films isolating the area are ordered (or an MRI).  Ask about more specific mammography study.  Obviously all of this is horribly stressful but please remember that a full 80% of anything and everything observed on mammo films is benign!  And whatever this is, if it is not palpable chances are it is tiny.  Really, my best to you.

Nov 18, 2012 12:35PM Wren44 wrote:

I've been called back about every 3rd mammo. Last year they did find something, but always before it's turned out to be nothing. An ultrasound can tell whether it's a cyst or something solid. Menopause hormone fluctuations might well be the cause. Good luck and best wishes.

Dx 11/11/2011, IDC, <1cm, stage 1b, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-/HER2-. Lumpectomy and SNB 1/4/12. Reexcision for better margins found 2nd IDC >1cm, stage 1b, grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-. Mastectomy 2/22/12. Arimidex.

Nov 18, 2012 12:58PM Beesie wrote:

Call backs are very common. I've had more than I can remember. About 95% turn out to not be breast cancer. Even if the ultrasound doesn't provide enough information and the radiologist recommends that you have a biospy, 80% of breast biopsies turn out to be benign.

I know it's impossible to not worry, but the odds are very much in your favor. Yes, it could be breast cancer but it's much more likely that it isn't. So try not to obsess and don't try to diagnose yourself by googling the image or looking at images of breast masses on the internet. Radiologists are doctors who've spent years learning how to read the images, and even they sometimes disagree and often can't be certain about what they are seeing.  

Take it one step at a time.  And if you are lucky, hopefully there will only be one or two steps and then you'll get the word that everything is fine. 

Dx 9/15/05, DCIS-MI, 6cm+ Gr3 DCIS w/IDC microinvasion, Stage I, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR- “No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Nov 18, 2012 05:01PM kkuziel wrote:

Thank you all for your concern and advice. I go Tuesday for ultrasound. I'm a worrier by nature so this is sending me over the edge. Two weeks seems to be an eternity right now (it's only been four days and I'm losing it). I'm hoping for the best but horribley frightened for the worst. It's good to hear from others that have had similar experience.

Dx 12/20/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 01/18/2013 Lumpectomy (Right)Radiation Therapy 03/14/2013 ExternalHormonal Therapy 06/01/2013 Femara

Nov 26, 2012 05:03PM Kim_in_MN wrote:

I am going through the same thing; my yearly mammogram came back as "suspicious" and they want me to come in for more films and possibly ultrasound.  No previous lumps/suspicious mammos (I am 46).  Called my GP office that the mammograms are only done here in town once a month; would have to wait 17 days for that.  Asked them (very nicely LOL) to please call the clinic in the larger hospital they are affiliated with 60 miles from here to see if they can get me in sooner (tomorrow would be nice!).  I also am a worrier and just keep looking at the percentages that most suspicious mammos end up being nothing to worry about.  I would be venting to my mother, but as it stands she is going in for a lumpectomy in four days with her recently diagnosed IDC and while hers was found very early (they are saying Stage 1, Grade 1) I don't think she needs this on top of her surgery and radiation to follow. 

I also could see something reflected on the glass when they were checking my films to make sure they got good pictures; drove me crazy and was really hoping that I was imagining it but I guess not.  Just crossing my fingers that they can squeeze me in ASAP at the hosp to get recheck and find out what's going on.  I cannot believe they would expect me to wait half a month to get new films done!  Although, in the nurse's defense, she said she completely agreed with me and she would do everything she can to get me in at the nearby hospital quickly and since the first set was suspicious she was pretty sure they would squeeze me in quickly.  I guess I'm just venting ~ I want to know right now what is going on, and if something needs to be done, get the process started!  Thanks for reading ~ my thoughts today will be with everyone on this board and I have a feeling I will be reading here late into the night. 

Kim

Dec 6, 2012 05:52PM kkuziel wrote:

I'm shook up to be here nearly three weeks later. Went to ultrasound. Two technicians couldn't find the suspicious "thing" on the mammogram. The area of concern only showed up on one film so they thought that was a good sign as well. Left feeling pretty good. Over two weeks later I hadn't heard anything. Figured that was another good sign (ignorance is bliss). Today I thought I'd call, be proactive in my own health. Called and was told my ob/gyn wants me to see a surgeon. (why I had to call and someone didn't call me I don't know. That's an irritation for another day) Needless to say I'm beside myself. How bad is this - obviously they see something. Totally freaked out. Feel like I'm one step closer to finding out I have cancer. Any insight would be appreciated.

Dx 12/20/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 01/18/2013 Lumpectomy (Right)Radiation Therapy 03/14/2013 ExternalHormonal Therapy 06/01/2013 Femara

Dec 6, 2012 07:53PM evergreen9 wrote:

Once long ago (35 years) when my family doctor felt a lump, he sent me to a surgeon. It turned out to be nothing, and the surgeon knew it the moment he touched it. They are very skilled and experienced in this issue, and thus offer another piece of data, along with his review of your previous tests. i.e., he will be another person to examine the whole picture. Statistically, it will likely be nothing. Be glad you have a doctor who is thorough and try (I know it's hard) not to be fatalistic, as you will likely be fine...

Living every day with appreciation, loving my supportive husband, and enjoying heaven on earth, in my garden...

Dx 11/22/2010, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 8/15 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+Surgery 12/09/2010 Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection, Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Right)Chemotherapy 01/25/2011 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, Taxol, TaxotereTargeted Therapy 04/25/2011 HerceptinRadiation Therapy 06/21/2011 External

Dec 7, 2012 04:25AM kkuziel wrote:

Thank you. I guess part of the shock for me is I spent the last week or so figuring this dark cloud had lifted, and now I'm back to the heavy weight of dread over me. I'm imagining the worst, which is always dangerous. My ob/gyn felt nothing in the clinical exam the same day as my mammogram. I hope she's just being cautious. Again thanks for words of encouragement.

Dec 7, 2012 10:12AM KTGR wrote:

I just went through something very similar. I had an architectural distortion on mammogram, went for ultrasound where the radiologist told me he found something highly suspicious. In fact, I found out later that my mammogram was labeled a Birad 5 which tends to result in a cancer diagnosis, 95% of the time. Went for a core needle biopsy and was ready (as you can be, meaning hardly at all) to hear it was cancer, but got a benign, but discordant result. That meant the pathology results did not explain what they saw on mammogram. I ended up seeing a surgeon who agreed that the suspicious mass should come out. Results were a benign radial scar.

This process took a month. Because it was over Thanksgiving there was a lot of hurry up and wait. It was hard. My father-in-law, an oncologist, told me early on not to get ahead of the data. (I was like, "yeah, right, dude.") But I did a lot of praying, meditating, taking control of my diet, crying, laughing, watching really good TV, and working out in order to manage. I certainly developed a compassion for myself that has been missing for years.

I hope for both of you that you get answers and peace of mind quickly. Try not to get ahead of the process. (yeah, right!) but meeting with breast surgeon helped me understand a lot more about the process and made me feel better overall. I found that my ob/gyn was out of her element with all of this, and I was glad for an expert opinion.

Good luck. Take GOOD care. And remember it might be BC, but the statistics are in favor of it being benign. And even if they aren't, like in my case, it sometimes isn't cancer either.

Dec 7, 2012 11:30AM, edited Dec 7, 2012 11:32AM by Allegraco

KTGR You could be writing my story as I've just gone through exactly the same thing and just come back from picking up my records and setting up my appointment with the breast surgeon to schedule a consult and excisional biopsy that my radiologist recommended. I too have been diagnosed with a  1 cm Radial scar with benign pathology discordant with mammogram findings. I'm delighted with the benign diagnosis but my radiologist says she wants it out as she's not happy with the size and shape.

I feel quite positive that it will be benign--well I'm trying to stay positive anyway-- as the statistics are quite high from what I've read that most call backs and biopsies have a good outcome.

khuziel I'm sorry you're having to go through this too. My BIRAD was 4. 5, I just read ,and negative but I have a whole family of cysts in there along with this Radial Scar.

I hope all turns out well for you.

Dec 7, 2012 12:11PM KTGR wrote:

Allegraco, I think you'll be happy to have it out. I am. Now I know there are no atypical cells as the pathology came back clean. Having said that, I will be followed closely from now on. That's okay, too.

Goodluck with your surgery. My excisional biopsy went well, with only small amount of pain and I am healing well. I hope the same for you.

Dec 7, 2012 05:18PM, edited Dec 7, 2012 05:19PM by Allegraco

KTGR, Yes I will be very happy to have it out for sure! I don't want anything in there that doesn't need to be there. I'm thankful that my radiologist is being extra careful as she wasn't happy with the pin placement so she wants to be there when the surgeon does the excision so that she can localize the area to make sure they get it all.

Glad you're recovering well.

Dec 11, 2012 06:05PM kkuziel wrote:

Saw the surgeon today. He originally cancelled on me because he wanted me to have another mammogram. But since it's been a month and I had yet to speak to a doctor I guess I sort of freaked out and said I'm going to see him even if he just says hi, I want to ask him some questions. Well that got the office staff going. They called the hospital to squeeze in the mammogram, called the radiologist to send it over and kept the appointment. The surgeon even went so far as to block off a time in his OR schedule to do a biopsy in case he thought it was warrented. So the wheels are moving. Something is on the mammogram, did not show up on the ultrasound, and he nor my ob/gyn can feel it. Not surprisingly he wants to do a biopsy so I took the time he'd blocked off and I'm off to the biopsy tomorrow. Scared to death, not of the test, but of the results. I'm having trouble believing it's going to be okay. It seems nothing has been alright so far so I'm getting more and more convinced that I'll have cancer.
I'm amazed at the positive attitudes I've seen from people who have been there. I just hope I can be that strong if the results are bad.

Dec 12, 2012 08:57AM Allegraco wrote:

kkuziel, I'm glad you're getting somewhere at last, I can't believe that you've been waiting a month! Hang in there I know it's not easy but as of yesterday I'm back in the waiting room too.

I met with the surgeon yesterday and was told that I don't have a Radial Scar as I thought but have a benign inflammatory pseudotumor. He said because the mammogram and pathology report are discordant they need to remove the lump to positively rule out malignancy because there is no reason for an inflammation in the breast and something is causing it. Am waiting for the office to call with the surgery date. From what little I've been able to find this condition is quite rare in the breast.

Dec 12, 2012 04:09PM kkuziel wrote:

Went for my biopsy today and because whatever it is is so high on my breast they couldn't get a visual with the "table". So after squishing and squishing they were unable to get a biopsy done. So now because I live in a rural area the surgeon is trying to get me into a larger hospital about 60 miles away to have a CAT scan guided biopsy. Hopefully on Friday. I just feel like nothing in this whole process has gone well. I've been at this a month and I still don't know anything. Seems like this whole thing is cursed. The surgeon and his office has been the bright spot in this whole process. I'm very grateful for their diligence in this situation. Now if they could just get my mind out of the death zone I'd be better.

Dec 13, 2012 01:54PM, edited Dec 13, 2012 01:56PM by Dianarose

kkuzfiel- I had a similar experience to what you are going through. They found a spot with the mammogram back in Sept. of 2011. Had me come back for another. Then they tried to do the biopsy, but like you, because of location they could not do it. Then they did a waste of time ultra sound. Then they sent me for an MRI and the spot they were questioning did not show up, but a different one did. By January (4 months later) they did an MRI guided biopsy. It was invasive ductal. I then had to go to another place to see if they could do a biopsy of the first spot to determine course of treatment. They were able to do it and that spot was benign, so I had a lumpectomy at the beginning of March. That didn't work out so hot. Lots of lobular cancer and no clean Margins, so 3 weeks later I had the BMX. I started chemo in May and finished November 5th. I am doing radiation now and have 19 more to go. I have been dealing with this crap for over 14 months. I still have to have the exchange of the tissue expanders around 6 months after rads. So, yes it can take a long time. Hang in there and I will Pray that yours is benign. It is one hell of a roller coaster ride.

6/10/13 mets to ovary now stage IV

Dx 3/22/2012, ILC, 1cm, Stage IIIc, Grade 2, 17/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy 05/31/2012 Cytoxan, fluorouracil, methotrexateRadiation Therapy 12/03/2012 3-D conformal external beam radiationHormonal Therapy 08/10/2013 Aromasin

Dec 13, 2012 07:45PM kkuziel wrote:

Dinarose, Well I guess I should be grateful it's not taking quite that long. Have my appointment for CT guided biopsy on Monday. Hopefully I'll know something just in time for Christmas. Not the gift I was hoping for. I just pray it's something good, but I'm not feeling real lucky right now. Hope you continue on the road to good health. Your strength in this gives me hope.

Dec 21, 2012 01:34PM kkuziel wrote:

Well the news is in - not good - IDC - don't know the stage - having lumpectomy day after Christmas - I'm overwhelmed - scared to death - terrified that it has spread to the lympnodes - tumor is small 9mm - but I don't think that really matters when it comes to shoot into the lympnodes - I found it as early as possible - no one (doctor, myself surgeon) can feel the lump - found in routine mammogram - I just hope it was soon enough - I'm frightened by the odds of a stage 3 or 4 diagnosis - and am horribly afraid that's where I'm headed - Just need guidance - how do I make it from day to day - I'm beside myself with fear - I know you've all been there - but I am convinced I'm going to die and just can't get past this -

Dec 21, 2012 02:18PM, edited Dec 21, 2012 07:13PM by Aruba

kkuziel,   Take a deep breath!  You have been your own best advocate and while scared...realize you have helped to catch this at it's earliest with your preseverance!  I too was called back for first ever mamo in June (after at least 15 years), no history in family etc..  Got to where you are now and had lumpectomy and sentinal node biopsy and radiation.  You have a plan in action and will take one step at a time to get through this.  For now try to keep upbeat and realize that you are going to get this cancer out of your body in just a few short days!  As I always thought of it, anything you do after that is preventative!  The hard part of this disease is the choices we have to make and you have already made many to be proactive.  You will continue to take actions to kick this in the butt.  This to me is as much a mental fight as any physical one.  I never did but many people advise to ask your Dr. for some gentle anxiety medication to help get through this if it may help.  You are in good hands on this site too to be able to rant, fret, and eventually celebrate that you have gone through this with others who "get it" amd understand the angst!   Let us know any questions you have and feel our group hug!!  Also there is an IDC thread called 2012 sisters that has a great group in all phases of treatment that have been in your shoes and will weclome you with open arms!  Tell them I sent you over!!http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/96/topic/788104

You can't control the wind, but you can adjust the sails

Dx 7/12/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 07/20/2012 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Radiation Therapy 09/19/2012 ExternalHormonal Therapy 11/14/2012 Arimidex

Dec 21, 2012 06:46PM Klm0221 wrote:

kkuziel,

Hang in there!  I understand the fear but you have to take it a step at a time and BELIEVE in healing!  I just had my first call back at age 57 . . . I have an intraductal papilloma, 5mm, about 2 inches in.   I had the 2nd mammo, the ultrasound (which didn't show it) and the core biopsy all in one day. I'm glad I didn't know ahead of time what I would be facing that day. 

I have an appointment with a general surgeon recommended by my PCP for January 9th.  Mine was "completely" removed with the core needle biopsy and, according to the report, is benign (no atypical cells found) BUT I still need to have a surgeon excise the tissue surrounding the area.  I am nervous about what will be found but I know 1) there is nothing I can do about it and 2) I have to take things one step at a time and think positively.  The only thing you can really do at this point is make sure you have a Doctor you trust and feel comfortable with.  If there are any doubts, seek out an expert and get a 2nd opinion. 

I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy (an incurable weak heart muscle) 1 1/2 years ago and one cardiologist thought I needed a defibrillator implanted.  I went to an expert for a 2nd opinion and found out, after an MRI, that I did not need one at that point.  It is important to seek out expert advice and don't be afraid to get 2nd opinions (the Doctors really do not care if you go to someone else for an opinion).

I'll send up some prayers - I am on my knees a lot these days!  :)

K

Dec 21, 2012 08:00PM GeorgiaMom wrote:

I'm so sorry you got the results you did but happy for you that you persisted and found out what was going on. You are in the worst stage of this process right now - not knowing what you're dealing with is torture! Waiting for results stinks too, but when you get some more answers and have a treatment plan in place it DOES get easier.
My journey began on December 27, 2011 with a 6 month follow-up on a suspicious mammogram. It was supposed to be "let's check you out to be on the safe side but it's probably nothing". Ended up having a biopsy the next day, again "to be safe" and finding out on January 3rd that it was in fact cancer. I was shocked and devastated but I got through it. I had a lumpectomy (which was a breeze- was back at work the same week), mammosite radiation and 4 rounds of chemo. It was a tough year and was especially difficult for my 11 and 13 year old daughters but we all got through it and it's hard for me to believe how far I've come in one year. I've just had a bilateral mammogram and ultrasound and I'm all good so this Christmas/New Year's will not be overshadowed by cancer. I promise, you will get through it. Just take it one day at a time! Cry as much as you need to and come here for support- it is an invaluable resource. The only way to get to the other side is to just go through it! I promise you, you're stronger than you think you are! Hang in there! You've got my prayers!

Diagnosis: 1/3/12, IDC (Micropapillary), 1cm., Stage 1b, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Mammosite internal radiation, Feb. 2012; Oncotype score 20, TC X 4; 3/9, 3/28, 4/19, 5/11

Dec 22, 2012 08:22AM kkuziel wrote:

Thanks to everyone here. I'm not a strong person. People think I am, but I really don't think so. I just keep fearing the worst. Hoping I've caught this in time. Telling people has been hard. I just think they believe i'm dying and don't have the courage to tell me. Lumpectomy day after Christmas. Scared but want this out as soon as possible. Will try and not worry myself into total freak out, but right now I swear I can feel things swelling under my arm, in my breast. Like my lymphnodes are growing out of control. The mind can sure mess you up.