We are 144,793 members in 73 forums discussing 114,637 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: Found a lump but I'm only 20!

Topic: Found a lump but I'm only 20!

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried — Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time.

Posted on: Apr 19, 2013 07:59PM

Nas20 wrote:

Hi!
Whilst browsing google I came across this forum. Basically a few months ago I found a lump in my left breast. The lump was only small. Looking at my age (20) I didn't think much of it as my breast are still growing. Having said that one month goes by and the lump is still there.

My breast have always been tender and they tend to hurt a little. But when I press against the lump it hurts. Two months go by and I find another lump. This lump is located near my nipple. Both lumps are hard and are about the same size.

I asked my friends for some advice and they said considering my age I shouldn't really worry. But I keep thinking about it. My family doesn't have a history of breast cancer which makes me feel better. I know the logical thing to do is visit my doctor but I'm really scared. I just need some advice on this. Should I be worried?

Thank you for your time.

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Apr 19, 2013 08:02PM Robin3 wrote:

Age doesn't matter honey. Go get checked. This way you don't have to worry! Good luck!

Dx 12/18/2012, IDC, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 01/11/2013 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Chemotherapy 02/13/2013 Cytoxan, fluorouracil, methotrexateRadiation Therapy 06/10/2013 ExternalHormonal Therapy 08/19/2013 Tamoxifen

Apr 19, 2013 08:16PM Traii wrote:

Hi

Best go check it out. Like Robin says BC doesnt care about age.

Could be a number of things..monthly cycle, cysts, dense breasts etc.

Having it checked out WILL put your mind at ease.

Good Luck

Dx 8/2012, DCIS, <1cmDx 8/2012, IDC, 1cm, Grade 3, 2/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 09/06/2012 Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Right)Surgery 09/24/2012 Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Right)Chemotherapy 10/31/2012 TaxotereChemotherapy 01/02/2013 Cytoxan, fluorouracil, methotrexateSurgery 07/05/2013 Mastectomy (Both); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)

Apr 19, 2013 08:17PM Nas20 wrote:

Thank you for replying. I will most definately get it checked. I hope it's nothing.

Apr 19, 2013 08:25PM Robin3 wrote:

We hope its nothing to. Better to just set your mind at rest. I don't have any bc history in my family at all. But it could just be a cyst for you. Or other minor things. Keep us updated!! Positive thoughts that it is nothing serious! :). Robin

Dx 12/18/2012, IDC, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 01/11/2013 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Chemotherapy 02/13/2013 Cytoxan, fluorouracil, methotrexateRadiation Therapy 06/10/2013 ExternalHormonal Therapy 08/19/2013 Tamoxifen

Apr 19, 2013 08:51PM Moderators wrote:

Nas, you've received such good advice, and we'll just add some information that should be reassuring, about some of the benign results of testing. The article's on the main Breastcancer.org site: What Mammograms Show: Calcifications, Cysts and Fibroadenomas.

Please post again to let everyone know about your visit to the doctor!

• The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Apr 19, 2013 09:22PM Beesie wrote:

Age does matter.  Breast cancer in someone who is 20 is extremely rare.  So the chance that your lump might be breast cancer is very very small - much smaller than it would be if you were in your 40s or 50s or older.  But as rare as it is for someone who is 20 to develop breast cancer, it's not impossible, and that's why it's important to get this checked out.

The most common lump in teenaged girls and young women in their 20s is what's called a fibroadenoma.  I had one at 16 and another at 20.  Fibroadenomas are harmless.  I'm glad that you've decided to see a doctor - hopefully the doctor will order whatever tests are necessary to confirm that your lump is a fibroadenoma or something else that's harmless, such as a cyst. Let us know how it goes.  

Dx 9/15/05, DCIS-MI, 6cm+ Gr3 DCIS w/IDC microinvasion, Stage I, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR- “No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Apr 25, 2013 10:09AM Nas20 wrote:

Thank you ladies for replying.

I have just had my appointment with my GP. She examined my breast and found a lump too so she has referred me to a breast clinic. She said because of my age there shouldn't be anything to worry about but it's better to get it checked. So I guess age does matter sometimes.

I don't know the date of my appointment but I hope the tests come back clear.

Thank you for your advice. I will keep you updated.

May 10, 2013 12:17PM Nas20 wrote:

Hi again!

Just to let you know. I had my appointment yesterday at the breast clinic. Turns out it is Fibroadenoma. A huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I am glad I got it checked out.

Thank you very much for your advice.

Kind regards,

Nas

May 10, 2013 12:45PM Robin3 wrote:

Yay! Whew. I'm glad you got it checked too. Now it's off your shoulders. Thanks for updating us!