We are 144,860 members in 73 forums discussing 114,688 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: BI-Rad 4

Topic: BI-Rad 4

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried — Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time.

Posted on: Jun 12, 2013 10:49PM

Agirl4country wrote:

I recently had my annual mammogram and was called by because of califications. I had the diagnostic mammogram on 6/10/2013. I have a stereotactic biopsy schedule for 6/17/2013. I have a cluster of califications and am fairly sure that it is some type of cancer but won't know till next Wednesday.

Can someone give me some info on how the biopsy will feel like and should I be more concerned than I am?

I am a widow with very little family so hopefully I will find some support here.

Thanks

Posts 1 - 22 (22 total)

Jun 12, 2013 11:00PM Beesie wrote:

Welcome!

I've had a few stereotactic biopsies.  Here is a website that provides an excellent explanation of what to expect:

Stereotactic Breast Biopsy

I think most facilities in the U.S. use the examination table where you are lying face down; I'm in Canada and mine have always been done with me sitting in a chair and with my breast in a mammogram machine.  The biggest problem for me has been holding still in a rather uncomfortable position.  The procedure itself should be painless because your breast will be numbed; if you do feel something, be sure to tell the doctor.  All in all it's not the most fun procedure in the world, but it's not horrible either.

As for having clustered calcifcations, actually calcifications are very common - about 50% of women get them.  Over 90% are benign and harmless.  It's only when the calcs form a pattern that appears suspicious that a biopsy is even considered necessary.  'Clustered' calcs are considered suspicious.  But even at that, 80% of biopsies on calcifications, and 80% of BIRADs 4 biopsies, turn out to be benign.  So don't assume that you will come out of this with a diagnosis of breast cancer - it's actually a lot more likely that you won't.

Good luck with the biopsy!

Dx 9/15/05, DCIS-MI, 6cm+ Gr3 DCIS w/IDC microinvasion, Stage I, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR- “No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Jun 12, 2013 11:15PM Agirl4country wrote:

Thanks for your quick response Beesie. I found your information very helpful. I am not overly concerned but am looking for information.

Thanks again

Jun 13, 2013 08:32AM Yazmin wrote:

Beesie wrote: "As for having clustered calcifcations, actually calcifications are very common - about 50% of women get them.  Over 90% are benign and harmless.  It's only when the calcs form a pattern that appears suspicious that a biopsy is even considered necessary."

I can confirm that. I had a diagnostic mammo done in April (a diagnostic mammo is done in lieu of a regular mammo if a patient has a history of breast cancer). My mammo showed such a large amount of calcifications that the technician could not conceal her surprise and concern after just taking a look at my films. She said: "You have complicated breasts". She asked me to wait for the doctor to take a look at them.

After an excruciatingly long waiting period, she came back and told me that the doctor had now read my mammos and couldn't see anything he would be concerned about at this time. However, when I received the written report a few days later, I realized that I WAS NOT out of the woods yet, as the doctor had said, in that report, that, even though no masses/tumors were detected by this mammo, I have a dense breast with lots of calcifications that could be concealing a tumor (they were talking about the right breast, as I have had a mastectomy 7 years ago on the left one). I was shocked.

But, as Beesie said it, most calcifications are benign. For me, this information was confirmed a couple of days ago: I had reconstructive surgery on my left breast, along with breast reduction on my right breast. All samples were sent to the lab, and everything came back PERFECTLY fine.

This has been a difficult time for me, as I have been worried SICK for months about this mammo having shown a lot of calcifications, and having been described as "complicated" Smile

Please question more. And then more.

Jun 14, 2013 01:25AM Sandy71 wrote:

I've had 2 stereotactic biopsies for microcalcifications. The procedure itself was more nerve racking than painful. My first one was a piece of cake. The surgeon inserted a needle to numb the breast which burned a little but was not bad at all. I did not feel any pain. Trying to lie still and not squirm was the biggest challenge

The second biopsy was a little trickier. The microcalcifications were very close to the chest wall so it was difficult for the tech to get the image of where the microcalcifications were. After several pictures and many uncomfortable position changes she finally got it I did feel the last needle punch this time.... Not pleasant but bearable. I think the last punch was closest to the chest wall so this area wasn't as numb as the rest of the breast.

You will be a little sore and bruised after. Ice packs help. I took ibuprofen for pain. I didn't have any activity restrictions the next day.... Just no running for a week or 2.

My first biopsy was benign. The second showed 'flat epithelial atypia' and I ended up having a surgical biopsy of the same area. The path report from the surgical biopsy was normal.

Both of my diagnostic mammograms were classified as bi-rad 4 for clusters of microcalcifications. I also had larger calcifications which my radiologist said were normal. He was more concerned about the pattern of the microcalcifications. I will echo previous posters in saying that biopsies for calcifications often end up being benign.

Good luck to you!

Jun 14, 2013 09:01AM Agirl4country wrote:

Thanks for your support. My cluster is right against the chest wall so I will make sure to ask that they numb that area.

Jun 14, 2013 10:33AM christmasgirl1960 wrote:

Agirl4country, I also had to have a stereotactic biopsy. The worst part for me was laying in the same position for 45 minutes or so; my neck hurt because they wouldn't allow me to move. Once I could sit-up and move around, I felt much better.

I had a wonderful, wonderful woman performing the test. She talked to me every step of the way which eased my anxieties. Ask the technician/doctor to explain what they are doing (if they aren't). If you can, try to bring someone with you because another set of ears always helps (although this person has to leave the room while they are performing the test). Make sure not to take any aspirin for several days (4?) before your procedure. Expect a mammogram immediately after and ask them to mark your samples "stat" so that you don't have to wait long for your results.

Try not to let your mind go to worst case scenarios. I did, and it took quite a toll on me. I was googling bc and worrying about things that didn't even apply to me. The one year anniversary of my bilateral mx is June 19, and I am doing great!

I wish you only the best. Try to stay busy, and please let us know how it goes.

Jun 14, 2013 09:01PM KatyH wrote:

I also had clustered microcalcifications at my annual mammogram in March and I had an excisionsal biopsy in April. Mine was one of the 80% that come back benign so try not to get ahead of yourself. Bi-rads 4 still has an excellent chance of not being cancer. Good luck on the 17th!

Jun 16, 2013 05:50PM Agirl4country wrote:

Thanks.

Jun 16, 2013 05:53PM Agirl4country wrote:

I know that I will be sitting in a chair for my biopsy which is a good thing because I have several back problems that restrict my ability to lie on my stomach.

I am not really worried it is whatever it is. I am positive that I will be fine no matter what.

Thanks

Jun 17, 2013 04:15PM Agirl4country wrote:

Well had the needle biopsy this morning. They had a really hard time getting the breast positioned correctly and speculated about having to do a surgical biopsy instead. The last position, laying on my right side was finally the right one. They had to take 3 different samples to get to the calcification's but thankfully I don't have to have the surgical biopsy. Won't know the results till Wednesday. Now the waiting begins but I am still ok, it will be what it is. Will let you all know the results

Leona

Jun 17, 2013 04:36PM Beesie wrote:

Glad to hear that it's over and that they were successful at getting good samples.  I had the same problem with one of my stereotactic biopsies - it took them many tries before they were able to get my breast into a position where they could capture the calcs with the core needle.

Good luck with the wait, and with the results!  Hoping for benign!

Dx 9/15/05, DCIS-MI, 6cm+ Gr3 DCIS w/IDC microinvasion, Stage I, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR- “No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Jun 17, 2013 05:20PM soriya123 wrote:

Hi Agirl4country, I'm praying your results turn out to be b9.  I know I hate the waiting for part.  I had needle biopsy done on 06/13/13, due to my radiologist says i have a mass on my lump and kinda hard/oval shape & irregular edges.  so sound like cancer to me.  I want to know the results and at the same time i'm so scared.  since last week, i barely have any appetite. 

Dx 6/17/2013, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+Targeted Therapy 07/17/2013 HerceptinChemotherapy 07/17/2013 carboplatin, TaxotereSurgery 12/04/2013 Mastectomy (Right); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Right)

Jun 17, 2013 07:52PM Agirl4country wrote:

So sorry that you are still waiting Soriya123 for your results but hopefully you will get them shortly and that they will be b9. I will keep you in my prayers. Gentle hugs

Jun 17, 2013 10:50PM Sandy71 wrote:

Glad that they were able to get you in the right position to get the tissue that they needed. I had a similar experience and was so relieved when they finally got it! Sending positive thought your way as you wait for your results

Jun 18, 2013 04:00PM soriya123 wrote:

Hi Agirl4country,  My dr called me earlier said I my test come back positive for cancer, but don't know what stage yet.  Will see breast surgeon this Friday for consultation and will go from there. Frown

Dx 6/17/2013, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+Targeted Therapy 07/17/2013 HerceptinChemotherapy 07/17/2013 carboplatin, TaxotereSurgery 12/04/2013 Mastectomy (Right); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Right)

Jun 18, 2013 04:45PM Agirl4country wrote:

Soriya so sorry but hopefully they have caught it early enough. I will pray for you. Gentle hugs <3

Jun 19, 2013 12:58PM laura11103 wrote:

April4... I think today you get your results?  good luck!

I just got back from my stereotactical biopsy and it took a lot longer than expected because I have 2 clusters (one more suspicious than the other) and he was hoping to have me in one position and get them both... but after doing the first set they didn't get enough of it, so we did the other clusters and went back to the first... it was a lot of repositioning and pictures and discomfort BUT the needles were cake... I was so surprised they were so painless... the only discomfort I had was at one point when they were "in there" I felt some pressure and I was more scared it would start to hurt... they were so wonderful, the radiologist let me squeeze her hand... the dr. was so sweet... afterward I got to speak with him and he made me feel so much better... he said even if its cancer, it is so early, it can be treated and I will be fine... he said results should come Friday and he will call me.  I asked him if I should be freaking out and he said absolutely not.  And I don't think he was BS'ing me...  he even said "let me give you a hug" after and hugged me...  so although of course still freaked out because the big C is still just that... I know I'll be okay... and you to April4... whatever your result is...

Dx 6/21/2013, DCIS, Stage Ia, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+Surgery 08/07/2013 Mastectomy (Right); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both)Surgery 10/24/2013 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)

Jun 19, 2013 03:14PM Agirl4country wrote:

Hi everyone. I got my results and YEA! they were negative for cancer. I have been so blessed to have found this site and the support of everyone here. I will keep you all in my prayers even if I am not on the site. May God hold all of you in His arms. Thanks so much for everything

Jun 19, 2013 04:33PM 3lilangels wrote:

Thta is great news!  I am so happy for you.

Angela

Jun 19, 2013 08:51PM soriya123 wrote:

Great news.....so happy for you! :-)

Jun 19, 2013 09:54PM Beesie wrote:

Congratulations!  Benign is always the best news!!

Jun 19, 2013 09:56PM Sandy71 wrote:

Wonderful news! So happy for you.