We are 144,831 members in 73 forums discussing 114,673 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Growing our Friendships After Treatment → Topic: I say yes, you say no, OR People are Strange

Topic: I say yes, you say no, OR People are Strange

Forum: Growing our Friendships After Treatment — For those who have finished treatment, but want to continue growing your cybersister friendships.

Posted on: Jan 3, 2011 06:23PM, edited Jul 28, 2011 12:03PM by bluedahlia

bluedahlia wrote:

Thought I'd add mrmojorisin in there somewhere.

Let's try this again. 

Life is made up of differences. Let's explore these differences, learn from them and accept them.

Now "Don't stop till you get enough"!  I love Michael Jackson too!

Page 1138 of 1,770 (53,076 results)

Posts 34111 - 34140 (53,076 total)

Dec 1, 2012 01:29AM jezza wrote:

lol Riley...maybe I WON'T be an expert by the finish of it! Actually DH is the one who loves history. He rarely reads fiction and is a bit anal when stories don't stick to the facts. As long as I know that its just based on history and its entertaining I'll be happy! Thanks for the warning...I'll tell DH before we watch it as he has read mountains of books on that period of English history.

Has anyone read any of Margaret Forster's "fictionalised biographies"? I really enjoyed "Keeping The World away" which was based on the artist Gwen John (who really was a lover and model of Rodin's).

Thanks Suzie...its a nice thread...have to do a bit of reading to get to know everyone though!!!

jezza

bi-lat mastectomies (one prophylactic) saline implants no chemo, no rads 21 years NED

Dx 1/1992, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3

Dec 1, 2012 01:34AM riley702 wrote:

jezza, yes, warn DH, or he'll be throwing things at the screen! LOL

Carolyn - 6 months neoadjuvant chemo (clinical trial), BMX and rads. Dx'd and treated as TN. After MX, I was informed my tumor was weakly ER+ after all (8%)

Dx 1/26/2010, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-Targeted Therapy 02/09/2010 AvastinChemotherapy 02/09/2010 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, Taxotere, XelodaSurgery 09/05/2010 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Radiation Therapy 10/19/2010 ExternalSurgery 12/14/2010 Prophylactic Mastectomy (Right)Hormonal Therapy 01/01/2011 TamoxifenHormonal Therapy 08/08/2011 AromasinHormonal Therapy 01/15/2012 Arimidex

Dec 1, 2012 07:14AM alexandria58 wrote:

There was a BBC series years ago, the Six Wives of Henry the Eighth, that I remember liking a lot more than I liked The Tudors.

Historical sidenote: I've always been interested in Richard III.  Shakespeare portrayed him as a child murdering monster but there's a fair amount of historical evidence that Richard III was a good king and a good man - and that Shakespeare was being political, since Henry VII who killed Richard and took his throne was the grandfather of the ruling monarch of the day, Elizabeth, and to portray Richard as anything other than a monster would have implied that the Tudors had been usurpers. Shakespeare did know which side of his bread was buttered. 

Dx 2/22/2011, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+

Dec 1, 2012 07:54AM lewing wrote:

Alexandria - there was a recent archaeological discovery in England of what may be Richard III's bones (read about it in the NYT I believe).  If I recall correctly (and my memory sucks, so I may be getting it wrong), the way the remains were treated -- buried with respect and some degree of pomp -- supports the idea that Richard III was, if not an angel, at least respected rather than universally loathed and feared, as Shakespeare's play would have it.

Though I love the play and have seen it twice recently . . . once in an outdoor production in Central Park, which was huge fun.  It was by a small company that does what they call "Shakespeare on the run," meaning it's staged in such a way that the audience has to follow the characters as they move about the park.  Consider the staging possibilities: in a battle scene, the actors can literally charge up and down hills.

The other production was at Stratford, where Richard was played by a woman.  I thought the gender-bending might be gimmicky or distracting, but it wasn't. 

Have any of you Tudor fans read "Wolf Hall"?  Hilary Mantel's books are on my list, but I haven't got to them yet.  With a little urging, I might.  (Or they might have to be a retirement project.)

Welcome, Jezza!

Linda

Dx 1/15/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 1, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Hormonal Therapy ArimidexChemotherapy Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxotereSurgery 03/13/2008 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left)

Dec 1, 2012 09:36AM, edited Mar 5, 2013 03:25PM by Belinda44

Wow, I was gone for Thanksgiving and had a very busy week and am now just stopping by here.  Lots going on and I see we can no longer talk about politics.  Not sure why, but whatever.....

Some works that appeal to me include:

By Van Gogh:

By Degas:

I hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Dec 1, 2012 09:37AM, edited Dec 1, 2012 09:39AM by Belinda44

And of course, ya gotta love Norman Rockwell....especially this time of year!

Dec 1, 2012 10:19AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Golly...didn't expect it but "slanted" news and info turns up everywhere doesn't it ?????  Loving the education here.  So much I never had the chance to discover and experience. 

Hi jezza.  great thread here. 

Belinda...the only politics allowed now is that having to do with health-care. I enjoyed the learning......and the viewpoints and therefore the ability to look at things in many different ways, but guess maybe it is not considered a fact of life here and we must move on.

This is my tgis -- thank god it's Saturday, day.  Have lots of things planned and hoping to get a bit more organized that I have been for some time.  No sun today but warmth has returned.....un-be livable but I think it will get close to 70 today.....and we had freezing temps before....global warming -- oh yes. 

Hope you all have a fantastic day.  I'll be checking back in when I take another break.

Jackie

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross

Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Dec 1, 2012 10:30AM SunflowersMA wrote:

Yeah, snow. Still very gently falling, powder, crunches underfoot, don't know if I'll be as cheerful about it in a few months, but the First Real Snowfall is always lovely.

Speaking of WONDERFUL, for all my friends who love furry creatures, and Joyful Celebrations.....Happy Holidays

mashable.com/2012/11/29/bo-whi...#

Belinda - we're no longer "political" but we're allowed to be "patriotic" - welcome back!

Dec 1, 2012 10:31AM IllinoisLady wrote:

As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand.-- Josh Billings

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross

Dec 1, 2012 10:41AM scuttlers wrote:

Ya'll prompted me to "waste" several hours last night going from page to page (person to person) on Wikipedia reading the life and times of the Tudors. It was fun and informational. Enjoyed the fictional books on the Bolyn Girls, not accurate but a fun read. Learned quite a bit last night ...

My favorite side effect of treatments is BEING ALIVE!

Dx 2/4/2009, IBC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 11/17 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Dec 1, 2012 10:50AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Sunflowers.....loved that video....thanks.

Jackie

Dec 1, 2012 11:04AM crazy4carrots wrote:

LIVE ART?

You Have to Make Sure Everyone is Here

To follow by faith alone is to follow blindly -- Benjamin Franklin

Dx 1/10/2008, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Dec 1, 2012 11:57AM alexandria58 wrote:

Lindasa - Awww!

Belinda - I love the van gogh and the Serat.  I've seen the original Serat.  Enormus and beautiful.

Dec 1, 2012 12:15PM bluedahlia wrote:

If you like Scottish history, I recommend Barbara Erskine's books.  Lady of Hay, Child of the Phoenix and Kingdom of Shadows. Read them Looooooooooong ago, but they mixed fiction with history.

I don't read much anymore but am looking to download some of her other books for my ipod, so I can listen to them.  I hate Parkinson's.  Used to read 2 or 3 books a week.

Welcome Jezza!

But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they? - Scarecrow, Wizard of Oz.

Dec 1, 2012 12:19PM 1Athena1 wrote:

What Alexandria said - on both counts!

I think the ban on non health related politics is rather half hearted. We didn't completely get the memo here, but I think we read more of it than Next Door!Tongue Out

Anyone diagnosed with cancer should learn to have a healthy disrespect for statistics. Statistics are maths. It's the science which still eludes us.

Dx 3/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 3/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 1, 2012 12:23PM notself wrote:

They are still processing the election results.  It will take time for them to adjust. 

Dx 8/07,IDC, 2.4cm, Stage IIa, Grd 2, 0/8 nodes, ER+PR+Her2 -+ -- Schrödinger never changed a litterbox in his life.

Dec 1, 2012 12:23PM bluedahlia wrote:

Busy day planned.  DDs coming over in a bit.  We're going to our favourite baking goods store to get supplies for our cookie bakeout!  LOL!  Turkey chili in the crockpot for dinner.  Hopefully, they will have time to help me put up the tree and my decorations.  If not Ray and I will do it tomorrow.  Heading for the shower!

But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they? - Scarecrow, Wizard of Oz.

Dec 1, 2012 12:56PM alexandria58 wrote:

Turkey chilli just reminded of Gail Collins' latest column.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/01/opinion/collins-mitts-oval-office-moment.html?ref=opinion

She is currently my favorite columnist.

Dec 1, 2012 02:06PM, edited Dec 1, 2012 02:07PM by Kam170

Speaking of food...anyone here have a Vitamix?  I just ordered one in hopes of making lots of Kale Smoothies and Anti-cancer soups.  I would and do like to eat this way (Vegan), but it seems so many vegan recipes are helped out by smoothing and creaming.  I would also like to make veggie burgers sans soy - there are only two on the market that I know of...Amy's California and Amy's Sonoma (they are excellent, but expensive).

BRCA2+ Oncotype Score 39 ooph/TE exchange/port removal planned 8/30/2012

Dx 11/11/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 12/20/2011 Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Surgery 01/20/2012 Mastectomy (Left); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both)Chemotherapy 03/01/2012 Adriamycin, CytoxanChemotherapy 04/25/2012 TaxolChemotherapy 06/27/2012 carboplatinHormonal Therapy 08/12/2012 Aromasin

Dec 1, 2012 02:09PM SunflowersMA wrote:

Speaking of elections being over, has anyone else noticed the IRONY of Willard Romney getting 47.3% of the vote?  Really, as Dave Barry would say, "you can't make this stuff up."

Alexandria - I love Collins - also Ruth Marcus at WashPost.

Dec 1, 2012 02:22PM Wabbit wrote:

I read a lot of books about Henry VIII and his wives back in my high school days.  You all have made me want to go back and read it all again ... I've forgotten a lot about who was who.

Nice art work posted.  I tend to like the still life, abstract and simple stuff better but do appreciate the talent and beauty of fine art. 

On the other end of the art spectrum ... anybody else have some really silly, even tacky, pictures that they own and love?  I'll 'out' myself first.  I would never ever part with this (even though I hide it in my bathroom).  Any other true confessions?  Or do I need to just slink off quietly?  Embarassed 

In my own defense I stole this photo from Etsy ... and somebody else had bought it.  So I'm not the only one at least. 

Happy Saturday! 

Dx 3/2006, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 1, 2012 02:45PM, edited Dec 1, 2012 03:24PM by RetiredLibby

Jezza, yes, do warn your husband. They have the wrong sisterr of Henry VIII married to Charles Brandon, they have her dying of something she didn't die of, and it is terribly aggravating for history buffs. Also, they have Henry VIII as young and handsome when he was pursuing Anne Boleyn and he ..er ..wasn't. And he only got older and fatter with each wife. The series on Masterpiece Theater in the 1970s -- Six Wives of Henry VIII -- was much better. The actor who played Henry was Keith Mitchell and did a great job.

I was a Tudor buff, too, as well as a Plantangenet fan. And another author who does a fabulous job on that era is Alison Weir. She wrote one of my favorite books, "Mistress of the Monarchy," about Katherine Swynford (whose life was fictionalized in the book "Katherine," by Anya Seton). Katherine Swynford was John of Gaunt's mistress and then wife, and her children went on to marry into royal families -- she was the ancestress of many European monarchs.

Love history!

L

1st dx 07/2007, DCIS Gr. 3, Stage 0, 1 cm; lumpectomy, reexcision, rads, tamox. 2nd dx 6/24/2011, DCIS 1.5 cm, Gr. 3, Stage 0; BMX w/ immed. DIEP 8/23/2011.

Dec 1, 2012 04:11PM River_Rat wrote:

Wow, I'm going to have to read more on the Tudors, fascinating stuff here!

Jezza, welcome.

Belinda, love the Seurat and Van Gogh - two more of my favorites.

Fear is the highest fence. ~Dudley Nichols

Dec 1, 2012 06:08PM, edited Dec 1, 2012 06:09PM by riley702

"They have the wrong sisterr of Henry VIII married to Charles Brandon"

Oh, Libby, it's worse than that. They have combined both sisters (Mary and Margaret) into one character named Margaret. IRL, Margaret married the King of Scotland, and Mary wed the elderly King of France, and later, Henry's lifelong pal, Charles Brandon. In the series, this single sister marries (and murders!) the elderly King of Portugal and then Brandon. When the series first aired, there was some buzz about the producers having been afraid we poor feeble-minded viewers would have gotten "confused" by two "Princess Mary"s - Henry's sister and daughter. But they didn't have a problem with the multitude of characters named Thomas (More, Cromwell, Wolsey, Cranmer, Tallis, Boleyn, Culpeper, Howard, Wyatt)!

On a forum I participate on where we talk about TV, we dubbed this combined sister "Marygret". Laughing

Carolyn - 6 months neoadjuvant chemo (clinical trial), BMX and rads. Dx'd and treated as TN. After MX, I was informed my tumor was weakly ER+ after all (8%)

Dx 1/26/2010, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-Targeted Therapy 02/09/2010 AvastinChemotherapy 02/09/2010 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, Taxotere, XelodaSurgery 09/05/2010 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Radiation Therapy 10/19/2010 ExternalSurgery 12/14/2010 Prophylactic Mastectomy (Right)Hormonal Therapy 01/01/2011 TamoxifenHormonal Therapy 08/08/2011 AromasinHormonal Therapy 01/15/2012 Arimidex

Dec 1, 2012 06:11PM suzieq60 wrote:

Markets done - got the usual fish, fudge and bananas but also bought some natural pain relief cream - looks good - it's got magnesium, Glucosamine, MSM and lots of oils in it. The lady put some on my knee while I was there and it does feel a bit better. Apparently it takes time to build up and you end up not having to use it so often - anything is worth trying.

Been up since 4:30 (golf again) so I'm starting to feel like a morning nap. 

2nd diagnosis October 2010 - IDC 5.8mm node negative - missed on mammogram in October 2009

Dx 10/13/2009, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Dec 1, 2012 06:24PM jezza wrote:

Morning suzie!!

You girls are turning me off THe Tudors DVD. Should have bought the Six Wives one!

Reading back a few pages I noticed Athena's posts on Jackson Pollock. There was such a fuss in the early 70s when his painting "Blue Poles' was bought for our National Gallery here in Melbourne, Australia. The painting was so expensive the purchase had to be approved by our the Prime Minister. Of course it has increased in value untold amounts since then.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-28/stroke-of-genius-the-legacy-of-blue-poles/4228672

Hmmm...maybe I won't tell hubby about the inaccuracies in The Tudors and see what he picks up!..

jezza

bi-lat mastectomies (one prophylactic) saline implants no chemo, no rads 21 years NED

Dx 1/1992, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3

Dec 1, 2012 06:27PM suzieq60 wrote:

Morning Jezza - glad you found us here.

2nd diagnosis October 2010 - IDC 5.8mm node negative - missed on mammogram in October 2009

Dx 10/13/2009, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Dec 1, 2012 06:43PM pip57 wrote:

Welcome to Jezza!

Linda, I love yout real life art. We just spent the two weeks in Florida watching a mother duck and her chicks. We first saw them a day or two after they hatched. Ther were nine of them. There were only four left yesterday. Apparently that is a normal survival rate for ducklings.

PIP - multi focal, FEC100/Tax, rads, dble mast with no recon, ooph/hyst, arimidex

Dx 2/1/2007, IDC, Stage IIIb, Grade 2, 9/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 1, 2012 06:47PM RetiredLibby wrote:

Yep, Riley -- I knew that. I ended up not watching the show because it was so historically inaccurate that they might as well have just made up a whole new story. I'm a purist, I'm afraid -- if you are going to make a TV show about historical figures, get it right, dammit! I was particularly aggravated that they got Mary and Margaret wrong because I have always been interested in Mary. And Charles Brandon was a pig!

L

1st dx 07/2007, DCIS Gr. 3, Stage 0, 1 cm; lumpectomy, reexcision, rads, tamox. 2nd dx 6/24/2011, DCIS 1.5 cm, Gr. 3, Stage 0; BMX w/ immed. DIEP 8/23/2011.

Dec 1, 2012 06:57PM Chickadee wrote:

Jezza, don't be turned off. Watche them all. It sends you to researching and makes it all that much more fun and interesting. Until the Tudors series I didn't get the religious consequences of what was going on and it sent me surfing and learning.

Ann of a Thousand days is another contribution. Fluffy stuff but more period drama to indulge in. Betty Davis did a turn as Elizabeth too as I recall.

Enjoy.

I'm in such bad shape, I'm wearing prescription underwear." Phyllis Diller 1917-2012

Dx 9/1/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1138 of 1,770 (53,076 results)