We are 144,807 members in 73 forums discussing 114,651 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Growing our Friendships After Treatment → Topic: I say yes, you say no, OR People are Strange

Topic: I say yes, you say no, OR People are Strange

Forum: Growing our Friendships After Treatment — For those who have finished treatment, but want to continue growing your cybersister friendships.

Posted on: Jan 3, 2011 03:23PM, edited Jul 28, 2011 09:03AM by bluedahlia

bluedahlia wrote:

Thought I'd add mrmojorisin in there somewhere.

Let's try this again. 

Life is made up of differences. Let's explore these differences, learn from them and accept them.

Now "Don't stop till you get enough"!  I love Michael Jackson too!

Page 1146 of 1,769 (53,062 results)

Posts 34351 - 34380 (53,062 total)

Dec 5, 2012 06:55AM alexandria58 wrote:

Ditto on Beck.

Dx 2/22/2011, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+

Dec 5, 2012 06:57AM, edited Dec 5, 2012 07:01AM by 1Athena1

Manneken-Pis, I say...

ETA: Changed text. I think this should be our new "Brussels Sprouts" cry.

Anyone diagnosed with cancer should learn to have a healthy disrespect for statistics. Statistics are maths. It's the science which still eludes us.

Dx 3/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 3/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 5, 2012 07:00AM 1Athena1 wrote:

The US, according to extremists who say the UN is robbing them of their child's homeschooling:

Above, a picture of their child's graduation thesis.

The US according to...well, everyone else:

Anyone diagnosed with cancer should learn to have a healthy disrespect for statistics. Statistics are maths. It's the science which still eludes us.

Dec 5, 2012 07:10AM, edited Dec 5, 2012 07:11AM by IllinoisLady

I'm on the list of horrified people, with total disgust added in for good measure.  I wish all the paranoid people would go find an island somewhere and just GET LOST, so the rest of us could get on with life.  You know aliens will never come here.....they would have to deal with the paranoid chicken little misfits.....sigh !!!!!

Too funny about the cone as well.  There is also a spray which is quite tart when licked, but it upsets the tummy if the person just will not quit licking, so I imagine the cone is best.   Hope the humiliation will only last as long as the cone. 

HL.....love the cartoon.

Jackie

ETA Athena'a post and latest picture.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross

Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Dec 5, 2012 07:20AM bluedahlia wrote:

But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they? - Scarecrow, Wizard of Oz.

Dec 5, 2012 07:23AM, edited Dec 5, 2012 07:37AM by bluedahlia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp3OhC3NoMk

But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they? - Scarecrow, Wizard of Oz.

Dec 5, 2012 07:33AM crazy4carrots wrote:

There seem to be a fair number of people who cannot tell the difference between news and entertainment.  Fox NewsCorp has an entertainment licence, not a news licence.  Beck and Limbaugh use their media pulpits for entertainment, and yet millions take them seriously.  Sort of like the folk who believe Stephen Colbert speaks on their (conservative) behalf, while he is actually satirizing them.

And yes, the ultimate insult was paid to Bob Dole by his supposed GOP colleagues, which tells us all how much the party has winged its way......way, way off.

Chick -- sorry I'm late in telling you how delighted I am that you are so boringKiss!

To follow by faith alone is to follow blindly -- Benjamin Franklin

Dx 1/10/2008, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Dec 5, 2012 07:42AM bluedahlia wrote:

To all the Glen Becks and Rush Limbaughs and GOPers.  In case you missed it.  Listen and pay attention. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp3OhC3NoMk

Dec 5, 2012 07:43AM, edited Dec 5, 2012 07:48AM by SunflowersMA

Bob Dole was the Majority Leader of the Republican Party in the US Senate for YEARS.  He is responsibile for more GOOD legislation to help the diabled, his experience in WWII left him with a severe disablility.  HE IS A GOOD MAN.  I too diagree on some of his policies, but when THIS MAN, now 89, confined to a wheelchair, comes back to the Senate, almost directly from his hospital bed, to APPEAL to his colleagues, and they DENY him, the OBVIOUS - to welcome the WORLD to agree ( as most nations have) to the same standards available to the disabled in the USA ( ADA: Americans with Disabilites Act) because of this made up hooey about "problems with home schooling?"

ETA: Building on Nature: The Life of Antoni Gaudi ooooooohhh...looks delicious Wink

Can't even imagine what kind of a world this will turn into - without the leadership I've known growing up.  Moderate Republicans have fought for such good things - and worked so effectively "across the aisle" for everything.

ART - Athena, inspiring, and I don't know Gaudi - but thanks to Belinda's pics - I am now fascinated, esp. the mosaics, going to look up more about his work.

YOU ARE THE BEST GROUP OF WOMEN TO HANG OUT WITH....(ending a phrase with a preposition, in case there are grammarians amoung us) - remember when Winston Churchill was "corrected" by a secretary, and his reponse was "Impudence is something up with which I will not put."

Dec 5, 2012 07:56AM RetiredLibby wrote:

Ugh.  I went to the gym yesterday (I have been going regularlyl, honest!) and did 3 sets of 10 lat pulldowns at 55 lbs.  I was pleasantly sore until this morning, when I stretched my arms up before I got out of bed.  I twisted a little and -- POP! -- I have a monster muscle spasm in my left lat.  UGH!  I am grunting every time I move wrong ... and ibuprofen didn't help much.  Fortunately I'm working from home, so I'm going to go stand in a hot shower in a little bit.  I do believe I will have a date with a Flexiril tonight!

Sorry to be a whiney-boots, but just thought I'd interject it here. 

And is anyone making Christmas cookies?  (Somehow I feel a minutia interlude coming on  ....)

L

1st dx 07/2007, DCIS Gr. 3, Stage 0, 1 cm; lumpectomy, reexcision, rads, tamox. 2nd dx 6/24/2011, DCIS 1.5 cm, Gr. 3, Stage 0; BMX w/ immed. DIEP 8/23/2011.

Dec 5, 2012 08:03AM rosemary-b wrote:

I am home today. A day off to stencil a tee shirt for my grandson(done) make a jumper for my ganddaugher (the last of 4 and I am procrastinating). The first one was  a lot of fun the next two were fun and well this one will be done soon. I am making a pillow for my granddaughter whose room is being redone for Christmas. It is a simple 9 patch. For my daughters I have embroidered and needlepointed gifts underway.

No Christmas decorations up yet but I will start this afternoon.Whew.

Oh and my daughter will be brining her 2 year old out for a little while this afternoon.

And...there is still housework and laundry to do.

Dx 2/25/2007, IDC, Stage I, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Dec 5, 2012 08:04AM, edited Dec 6, 2012 02:51PM by Moderators

This Post was deleted by Moderators.

Dec 5, 2012 08:10AM SunflowersMA wrote:

Friend just emailed me:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/health/extended-use-of-breast-cancer-drug-suggested.html?hp&_r=0

Dec 5, 2012 08:13AM alexandria58 wrote:

What Sun and Athena said!!

Dx 2/22/2011, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+

Dec 5, 2012 08:16AM, edited Dec 6, 2012 02:48PM by Moderators

I feel bad for Bob Dole.  He did not deserve to be kicked like that.  But I suspect he made the effort to show up because he saw what is going on and knew it might happen.  Nice of him to try.   

Ouch Libby!  And they tell you exercise is good for you ... hmmmp.

Yeah for your boring news Chickadee!

Poor puppy dog!  Jake had one of those cones a few months ago.  It was pitiful ... he kept crashing into walls and getting stuck in doorways.  I found him a more comfortable cone than the one we got from the vet and thus had two cones.  Wanted to put one on both dogs and send them out to play bumper dogs.  But I haven't ... yet.

Been trying to get Christmas stuff done.  Found little gifts for hubby and the annual 'goofy' gift for daughter.  Cards next. 

Dx 3/2006, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 5, 2012 08:20AM RetiredLibby wrote:

"bumper dogs" .... I am loving that visual!  Hurts to laugh, but laughing anyway!

L

1st dx 07/2007, DCIS Gr. 3, Stage 0, 1 cm; lumpectomy, reexcision, rads, tamox. 2nd dx 6/24/2011, DCIS 1.5 cm, Gr. 3, Stage 0; BMX w/ immed. DIEP 8/23/2011.

Dec 5, 2012 08:21AM, edited Dec 5, 2012 08:43AM by bluedahlia

"hat tip to the Lizardking"??????????

Methinks someone better change her "supplier"!  Bad weed = delusions!   hahahahhaahahhahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Dec 5, 2012 08:24AM, edited Dec 5, 2012 08:25AM by bluedahlia

WR if you do that, I want to see it on youtube....might go viral!  bumber dogs!  hehehehhe!

HL OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 5, 2012 08:29AM, edited Dec 5, 2012 08:31AM by SunflowersMA

Don't think there are copyright laws on prss releases once the embargo is lifted, if I'm wrong, somebody PM me & I'll delete it:  http://www.sabcs.org/PressReleases/index.asp

Embargoed for Release:
7:30 a.m. CT, Dec. 5, 2012
Media Contact:
Jeremy Moore (215) 446-7109 Jeremy.Moore@aacr.org In San Antonio, Dec. 4-8: (210) 582-7035
Extending Duration of Adjuvant Tamoxifen Treatment to 10 Years Reduced Risk for Late Breast Cancer Recurrence, Improved Survival
  
Greatest additional benefit was seen in the second decade after diagnosis. Findings are directly relevant to women taking tamoxifen. Women on other ER-positive breast cancer endocrine treatments may benefit.
SAN ANTONIO — Ten years of adjuvant treatment with tamoxifen provided women with estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer greater protection against late recurrence and death from breast cancer compared with the current standard of five years of tamoxifen, according to the international ATLAS (Adjuvant Tamoxifen — Longer Against Shorter) study.
“Five years of adjuvant tamoxifen is already an excellent treatment that substantially reduces the 15-year risk for recurrence and death from estrogen receptor (ER)-positive breast cancer, but ATLAS now shows that 10 years of tamoxifen is even more effective,” said Christina Davies, M.D., a coordinator in the Clinical Trial Service Unit at the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom.
She presented the results at the 2012 CTRC-AACR San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, held here Dec. 4-8. The results were simultaneously published in the Lancet.
“The main additional benefit from continuing tamoxifen treatment is to reduce breast cancer mortality during the second decade after diagnosis,” Davies said. “We already knew that five years of tamoxifen reduces breast cancer mortality in this late period by almost a third in comparison with no tamoxifen. We now know that 10 years of tamoxifen is even better, approximately halving breast cancer mortality during the second decade after diagnosis.”
Researchers enrolled 6,846 women with ER-positive breast cancer between 1996 and 2005. Half had node-positive disease. All the women had been using tamoxifen for five
-more-
Extending Duration of Adjuvant Tamoxifen to 10 Years Reduced Risk for Late Breast Cancer Recurrence, Improved Survival Page 2 of 4
years, and the researchers randomly assigned them to continue treatment for another five years or to stop immediately.
After about eight years of follow-up, the researchers observed 1,328 breast cancer recurrences and 728 deaths after recurrence. The treatment allocation had little effect on either recurrence rates or death rates during the period five to nine years after diagnosis. However, during the second decade following diagnosis, the women who continued tamoxifen treatment had a 25 percent lower recurrence rate and a 29 percent lower breast cancer mortality rate compared with women who stopped after five years.
Risk for death from breast cancer five to 14 years after diagnosis was 12.2 percent among those who continued use versus 15 percent among those who stopped — an absolute gain of 2.8 percent. The researchers observed the greatest benefit during 10 to 14 years after diagnosis.
Davies noted that continuing tamoxifen use can increase side effects, with endometrial cancer being the most life-threatening. Because endometrial cancer is generally curable, the cumulative risk for death between five and 14 years after diagnosis was 0.4 percent versus 0.2 percent. Because this risk is heavily outweighed by the reduction in breast cancer deaths, overall mortality was significantly reduced by longer treatment. In premenopausal women, for whom tamoxifen is often the endocrine treatment of choice, there was no apparent excess of endometrial cancer.
“Many women with ER-positive breast cancer take tamoxifen, or some other adjuvant endocrine treatment, but the current recommendation is to stop after five years,” said Davies. “ATLAS showed that protection against breast cancer recurrence and death is greater with 10 years than with five years of tamoxifen use. Women and their doctors should be aware of this evidence when deciding how long to continue tamoxifen, or any other endocrine treatment.”
The study was funded by Cancer Research U.K., the U.K. Medical Research Council, AstraZeneca, the United States Army and the European Union.
## #
The mission of the 2012 CTRC-AACR San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium is to produce a unique and comprehensive scientific meeting that encompasses the full spectrum of breast cancer research, facilitating the rapid translation of new knowledge into better care for patients with breast cancer. The Cancer Therapy & Research Center (CTRC) at The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) and Baylor College of Medicine are joint sponsors of the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium. This collaboration utilizes the clinical strengths of the CTRC and Baylor and the AACR’s scientific prestige in basic, translational and clinical cancer research to expedite the delivery of the latest scientific
Extending Duration of Adjuvant Tamoxifen to 10 Years Reduced Risk for Late Breast Cancer Recurrence, Improved Survival Page 3 of 4
advances to the clinic. For more information about the symposium, please visit www.sabcs.org.
Publication Number: S1-2 Title: ATLAS. 10 v 5 years of adjuvant tamoxifen (TAM) in ER+ disease: Effects on
outcome in the first and in the second decade after diagnosis
Christina Davies1, Hongchao Pan1, Jon Godwin2, Richard Gray1, Richard Peto1 and on Behalf of ATLAS Collaborators Worldwide1. 1Clinical Trial Service Unit & Epidemiological Studies Unit (CTSU), University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom and 2Institutes for Applied Health and Society & Social Justice Research, Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow, United Kingdom.
Body: Background: In ER+ early breast cancer, 5 years of tamoxifen greatly reduces recurrence throughout the first decade (years 0-9) with little further gain later, and reduces breast cancer mortality (BCM) substantially throughout years 0-14 (EBCTCG, Lancet 2011; 378: 771-84 – see Table). It is not known how 10 years TAM compares with the current standard of just 5 years TAM.
Methods: In 1996-2005 the international ATLAS trial randomized 6846 women with ER+ disease who had had 5 years of adjuvant TAM to continue another 5 years (to year 10) or stop at year 5 (control). Annual follow-ups recorded compliance, hospital admissions, breast cancer recurrence (including new contralateral), any other new primary cancer and cause of death.
Results: Compliance was 80%, as after 2 years 84% of those allocated continue and 4% of those allocated stop were still taking endocrine treatment (>99% TAM). With mean 7.1 woman-years follow-up (30,000 w-y in years 5-9, 16,000 in years 10-14, 2000 later), 1328 recurrences were reported (900 in years 5-9, 379 in years 10-14). Recurrence was significantly lower with10 than 5 years TAM (Table: logrank 2p=0.002, rate ratio (RR)=0.90 se 0.06 in years 5-9 and 0.75 se 0.08 in years 10+). So were both
BCM (2p=0.01, RR=0.97 se 0.10 in years 5-9 and 0.71 se 0.09 in years 10+) and all- cause mortality (2p=0.01, with no increase in non-BCM). Proportional risk reductions were homogeneous by country, age and stage. Kaplan-Meier risks in years 5-14 (K- M)were: recurrence 21.4 vs 25.1%, BCM 12.2 vs 15.0%. Uterine cancer K-Ms in those randomized at age 50+ were: incidence 2.6 vs 1.6% (2p=0.08), mortality 0.2 vs 0.2%. In pre-menopausal women (where AIs are not an alternative to TAM) there was no apparent excess of uterine cancer.
Extending Duration of Adjuvant Tamoxifen to 10 Years Reduced Risk for Late Breast Cancer Recurrence, Improved Survival Page 4 of 4
Discussion: Compared with just 5 years TAM, continuing TAM to year 10 safely protects further against recurrence and, particularly during the second decade, BCM. Combining results from ATLAS and the EBCTCG meta-analyses of 5 years TAM vs none (both had 80% compliance), in a hypothetical trial of 10 vs 0 years TAM with 80% compliance, 15-year BCM would be reduced by at least one-third. Hence, full compliance with 10 years TAM would yield even greater benefit (Table). Further follow-up of ATLAS will assess more reliably the apparently substantial mortality reduction in the second decade after diagnosis.

Dec 5, 2012 08:32AM RetiredLibby wrote:

No, Sunny -- don't worry.  It was already in the NYT.

L

Dec 5, 2012 08:51AM Kam170 wrote:

"Of course, I am speaking as though true journalism were still alive. I rarely read the NYT now. It has become a haven for spineless liberals who feel compelled to give the conservative misinformation machine more time just to show how flexible they are, right wing hacks, and people who generally apologize for everything expect for an intelligent idea."

Oh? I wasn't aware CNN had bought the NY Times. Wink

BRCA2+ Oncotype Score 39 ooph/TE exchange/port removal planned 8/30/2012

Dx 11/11/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 12/20/2011 Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Surgery 01/20/2012 Mastectomy (Left); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both)Chemotherapy 03/01/2012 Adriamycin, CytoxanChemotherapy 04/25/2012 TaxolChemotherapy 06/27/2012 carboplatinHormonal Therapy 08/12/2012 Aromasin

Dec 5, 2012 09:07AM, edited Dec 5, 2012 09:09AM by pip57

http://www.politicususa.com/Glenn-Beck-The-View.html

"Glenn Beck was on The View today, where after being called out on a story he used on his radio show involving meeting Whoopi Goldberg and Barbara Walters on a train, he admitted that he doesn’t check facts. Beck said that he is not a journalist. He is a commentator on life."

Why don't they get it?  They believe everything he says, except when he clearly tells them that he is there to entertain.  He has said this many times over the years.  It must be quite amusing to him.  They have given him so much power.

(Edited to add:  Belinda...one of my all time favourite movies)

PIP - multi focal, FEC100/Tax, rads, dble mast with no recon, ooph/hyst, arimidex

Dx 2/1/2007, IDC, Stage IIIb, Grade 2, 9/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 5, 2012 09:24AM Kam170 wrote:

I have to admit, that's a pretty cute commentary on Athena's post "over there."

BRCA2+ Oncotype Score 39 ooph/TE exchange/port removal planned 8/30/2012

Dx 11/11/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 12/20/2011 Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Surgery 01/20/2012 Mastectomy (Left); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both)Chemotherapy 03/01/2012 Adriamycin, CytoxanChemotherapy 04/25/2012 TaxolChemotherapy 06/27/2012 carboplatinHormonal Therapy 08/12/2012 Aromasin

Dec 5, 2012 09:43AM bluedahlia wrote:

Just for today.....got lots of gas!   hahahaahhaahaaaaaaa!

Dec 5, 2012 09:44AM lewing wrote:

Yikes, Sunflowers, on the tamoxifen release (which I haven't yet read closely . . . will go back and look at it later). On the one hand, anything that reduces recurrence and increases survival is great; but on the other, I just really, really want to get off this shit sooner rather than later.  Dang, I was pissed when my new onc told me she wanted me to do a full five years of arimidex (instead of a combined total of five for arimidex plus the earlier tamoxifen).  So now new results are rolling in that may start pushing us to do 10 years, or more?  Dang again.  And I'm someone who's had minimal problems with anti-hormonals, which I guess gives me precious little to whine about, but whine I will. 

On other topics, no Christmas decorations for me this year!  I figure getting married to a Jew on December 28 gives me a pass.  (I tried to weasel out of it last year, but my daughter insisted.  This year, however, she'll be going straight from school to her grandparents' house and not coming back here til New Year's . . . so she has no say.)

I will, however, do some baking this weekend, as there'll be hell to pay if I show up back home without almond crescents and ginger cookies.  And I have the dreidel collection out on the coffee table.  To my amazement, the cats are leaving them alone for once: guess they're too busy trying to eat Eric's houseplants, LOL.

Linda

Dx 1/15/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 1, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Hormonal Therapy ArimidexChemotherapy Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxotereSurgery 03/13/2008 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left)

Dec 5, 2012 09:55AM bluedahlia wrote:

Does anyone remember this?

Dec 5, 2012 10:02AM bluedahlia wrote:

Dec 5, 2012 10:03AM 1Athena1 wrote:

Tamoxifen - Over my dead body, as almost did happen, actually. Have a better chance or surviving on arsenic, thank you very much!

HL - Ouch! If it's any comfort, I have been lifting for years and that still happens.

Dec 5, 2012 10:06AM SunflowersMA wrote:

Blue - and your new name is a tribute to??????  tee, hee..

never saw that video clip you posted - when, where was it from?????  YIKeS...

Dec 5, 2012 10:08AM crazy4carrots wrote:

This explains a lot!  From today's Globe and Mail:

Law enforcement experts and con artists have long known the elderly are particularly vulnerable to financial swindles, from bogus charities to investment scams. Now Taylor, a distinguished professor of psychology at the University of California, Los Angeles, and her fellow researchers have made an important discovery that could explain why.

In a new study, published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, they found that an area of the brain called the anterior insula, which helps alert us to dishonesty, is less active in older adults than in younger people. In the first part of their study, the researchers asked participants in two separate age groups – one between the ages of 55 and 84, and the other averaging 23 years of age – to judge the trustworthiness of a series of faces shown in photographs.

While both groups reacted the same way to photos of faces that were intentionally selected for their trustworthy and neutral expressions, the older adults were more inclined to rate untrustworthy faces, characterized by insincere smiles and averted eyes, as reliable and approachable.

“Most of the older adults showed this effect,” Taylor said in a press release. “They missed facial cues that are pretty easily distinguished.”

The researchers then monitored participants’ brain activity using functional magnetic resonance imaging, while they rated similar photographs. The anterior insula, which is involved in forming instincts or gut reactions, was found to be active in younger adults as they made their judgments, but not in the older participants.

“The older adults do not have as strong an anterior insula early-warning signal; their brains are not saying ‘be wary,’ as the brains of the younger adults are,” Taylor said. “It’s not that younger adults are better at finance or judging whether an investment is good; they’re better at discerning whether a person is potentially trustworthy when cues are communicated visually.”

The old and the young would be wise to heed her advice for avoiding scams: Hang up on telephone solicitors and avoid pushy salespeople and free lunch seminars offering investment pitches. “I’m not saying that all of these are fraudulent,” she said, “but the best thing that you can do if your brain isn’t helping you to make these discriminations is not to have to make them.”

To follow by faith alone is to follow blindly -- Benjamin Franklin

Dx 1/10/2008, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Page 1146 of 1,769 (53,062 results)