We are 144,985 members in 73 forums discussing 114,798 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: High Risk of Recurrence or Second Breast Cancer → Topic: Diet and lifestyle to reduce recurrence

Topic: Diet and lifestyle to reduce recurrence

Forum: High Risk of Recurrence or Second Breast Cancer — Managing high recurrence risk of developing a second breast cancer.

Posted on: Dec 5, 2011 08:55PM

KeepingFaith69 wrote:

Hi,

I had surgery to remove a local recurrence.

No further treatment for me as scans are all clear.  I am lookijg for advice on diet and lifestyle tips to reduce another recurrence.

Your help would be gladly appreciated.

Love light and hugs to all xox 

Page 1 of 2 (33 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (33 total)

Dec 5, 2011 09:15PM Merilee wrote:

I have stopped sugar, gone to mostly organic food, and try for high protein and fiber. There is a list of cancer fighting foods as well. If you google that you will find lots of info out there. Also I have worked hard at getting rid of the extra fat on my body as my cancer was estrogen +. I work out every morning. I am also on supplements to build my immune system. There is also lots you can do to get rid of toxins in your environment. Check out the thread called "Its a toxic world, lets educate each other"

breastcancerbeast.blogspot.com & http://downsyduderescueranch.blogspot.com

Dx 4/4/2011, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 5, 2011 11:39PM, edited Aug 19, 2012 12:00AM by SunflowersMA

This Post was deleted by SunflowersMA.

Dec 6, 2011 04:31PM KeepingFaith69 wrote:

Oh yay, thanks for that.  let the learning begin!

Love and light xox

Pae xo. I surrender to God and the Angels and I choose PEACE.

Dx 8/16/2010, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/13 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+Dx 12/31/2012, Stage IV, ER-/PR-, HER2+Chemotherapy 01/01/2013 XelodaTargeted Therapy 01/01/2013 Tykerb

Feb 6, 2012 07:14AM Kaara wrote:

Keeping Faith:  The minute I was dx, diet, supplement and lifestyle changes became the first line of defense for me.  I was determined that I was going to fight bc as naturally as possible with no chemo or rads if at all possible.

I was fortunate that my age 71, and my early stage bc and low onco score have made it possible for me not to need chemo, and I opted out of rads.  I am going to try tamoxifen and see if that along with my diet and other changes will keep this monster out of my body.  I exercise and take many supplements..iodine, mushrooms, minerals, Vit B, C,D, CoQ10, glutathione, alpha litrophic acid, and a prescription drug called Naltrexone which boosts the immune system to attack cancer cells, similar to the way the new cancer vaccines are going to work.  I also follow an anti cancer diet of fruits, veggies, lean protein and no gluten or sugar.  Not easy, but doable.  The key is to keep your body in an alkaline state so that cancer cells do not thrive.  They grow well in an acidic environment, but not an alkaline one.  You can check this with test strips that you buy in the health food store.

The results have been awesome.  I took a test to see how my body absorbed and utilized antioxidants the other day (same test featured on Dr. Oz show) and I scored 54,000 points.  Dr. Oz scored 75,000.  Still room for improvement, but was pleased that I am one of the few that scored in the blue range which is the highest and best category.  I've lost 14 pounds and my waist size is now down to below 1/2 of my height!  I was successful with this nutrition program in eliminating the fat from around my middle...something dieting has never been able to do for me.  Estrogen is stored best in the fat cells around the middle so the less of them you have the better.

All the best to you in your quest for good health.  If I can answer any questions for you, please don't hesitate to ask or PM me.  Sending hugs and positive energy! 

Kaara

Dx 11/14/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 1, 2012 03:00AM patti3796 wrote:

Karra. Great job with the change in diet....at this stage I am overwhelmed with everything I read. One site says something is good the next says it is bad. Did you find one site or book particularly insightful??

Dx 7/25/2012, DCIS, Stage 0, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+Surgery 06/15/2004 Lumpectomy (Right)Surgery 07/10/2004 Lumpectomy (Right)Chemotherapy 08/01/2004 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolRadiation Therapy 11/01/2004 ExternalHormonal Therapy 01/25/2005 ArimidexSurgery 08/30/2012 Lumpectomy (Left)

Oct 1, 2012 03:08AM claireinaz wrote:

3-5 hours a week of moderate exercise is supposed to reduce the risk of recurrence by anywhere from 25 to 30% overall.  There's quite a bit of credible research that supports this finding out there on the internet; you might do a keyword search at the sciencenewsdaily website.

9/29/11 ILC, 2 c. stage II grade 1, ER/PR+ HER2-, 6/11 nodes, lumpectomy, DDAC x 4, Taxol x 12, 33 rads, Tamoxifen to arimidex, BMX/immed recon 7/3/13 "God supposedly gives us only what we can handle. God must think I'm a badass."

Oct 6, 2012 05:20AM Momine wrote:

Patti, I felt the same way at first, and I still do to some extent. After reading a bunch, I have concluded that the #1 thing we can do for ourselves is exercise. The more the better, any kind, any time. #2 is to keep alcohol minimal. #3 is to keep blood sugar stable and even, which means a low-glycemic diet, lots of fiber, lots of veggies, regular meal times, no sugary drinks or crappy processed foods.

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIb, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy 06/20/2011 Cytoxan, Ellence, fluorouracil, TaxotereSurgery 09/13/2011 Mastectomy (Both)Radiation Therapy 01/09/2012 ExternalSurgery 03/08/2012 Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)Hormonal Therapy 04/01/2012 Femara

Oct 17, 2012 01:16AM Kaara wrote:

Patti:  To answer your question, the best diet to follow is the one that cuts out all white carbs.  It will serve a two fold purpose...reduce the sugar load in your body (white carbs all convert to sugar) and help you lose weight around the middle which is where most of our estrogen is produced.  As we know, both sugar and estrogen can fuel cancer cells.

Keeping the body in a highly alkalized state is also a good way to prevent recurrence as cancer doesn't grow well in an alkaline environment.  You accomplish this by eating a lot of leafy green vegatables with your meals, avoiding acidic meats, sodas, and so on. 

As mentioned by other posters...exercise regularly and avoid alcohol as much as possible.  I limit mine to a small glass of red wine occasionally. 

Kaara

Oct 24, 2012 11:06PM havehope wrote:

Do not stress your body with shock diets! Eat and drink what you want when you want and do what makes you happy! A happy body, good attitude and no stress will take you longer than any diets. Unless the doctors told you that you need to lose weight, don"t. Constant weight is the key. Don't forget, nobody knows why cancer cells take over! Maybe is the food, maybe the water, maybe the air, maybe, maybe, maybe...

Enjoy life and don't stress about what should you eat! 

PS I am 4 years NED this month, and 21 months NED ovca! Life is good!

L-Total Mastectomy-Oct 08, 4xFAC+12xTaxol, mosaic tumor weak ER/PR +, profi R mx Sept 09, no recon; dx 2/17/2011 ovca new primary, st 3B gr 3, chemo 6 IV/IP Taxol/Cisplatin;3/15/2013 ovca 1st recurrence, chemo 4/4/2013 6xcarbo/12xgemzar; BRCA1+

Oct 24, 2012 11:23PM, edited Oct 24, 2012 11:24PM by SelenaWolf

I keep remembering an old "Oprah" episode dealing with obesity issues; the catch-phrase was "eat less, mostly plants, and move more".  That's about as simple as it gets to having an overall healthy lifestyle, not just one that will prevent cancer recurrence.

Other good catch-phrases are "eveything in moderation" and "when in doubt, don't".

Since we cannot avoid having sugar in our diet - all food will affect your blood sugar levels, that's what our bodies need to function on a daily basis - doing what we can to eliminate ADDED sugars is a good step.  But don't drive yourself nuts trying to eliminate all sugars; some of them, you need for good health.  Just make sure that you obtain them from 'natural' sources - vegetables, fruits, grains - rather than adding them to your diet via sugared coffee/tea and highly-processed baked goods.

Finally, don't beat yourself up if you have the occasional lapse.  Sometimes a cookie or a glass of champagne is just good for the soul. Cool  The key is making it an occasional treat, not a lifestyle.

"... good girls never made history ..."

Oct 25, 2012 05:19AM Blessings2011 wrote:

After BMX and recon, I was found to be 100% ER+. The MO wanted me on Arimidex; I said no. I was 13 years post-menopausal, and had already had a hysterectomy 12 years earlier. I told her there was no estrogen in my body.

She kindly pointed out that estrogen is produced in body fat, specifically belly fat, of which I had plenty.

In March, I joined Optifast, a severely calorie restricted diet program along with mandatory daily exercise. The fasting (liquid) portion of the diet lasted four months. In July, we started adding real food back in according to the American Diabetes Association meal guidelines, stressing whole, unprocessed foods, and portion control.

To date, I've lost 56 pounds and more than 65 total inches.

My MO says I have reduced my risk of recurrence by 23%.

p.s. I took the Arimidex anyway....Wink

Dx 9/15/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 12/05/2011 Mastectomy (Both); Lymph Node Removal (Left); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both)Surgery 08/22/2012 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)Hormonal Therapy 09/05/2012 ArimidexHormonal Therapy 10/22/2013 Femara

Oct 26, 2012 11:28PM SelenaWolf wrote:

Other organs in your body, also, produce estrogen, such as your adrenal glands.  Unfortunately, as women, we can't eliminate the hormone from our bodies completely, only reduce it as much as we possibly can.

Oct 26, 2012 11:37PM CelineFlower wrote:

between the food industry... the health industry.. and just plain capitalism...

the food they feed us is usualy crap.

Be ware of what you are eating.. KNOW YOUR FOOD

If you cant talk to the butcher/baker ...then imo you are buying your food at the wrong place.

Commercials lie to us by showing happy babies craving golden arches , as they lable poison "happy meals"

processed food is a trap... real food can make u just as happy

sure.. i agree " dont stress " ... but have u checked out the poison their feeding us these days?

makes me sick..

I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me! ~Dr. Seuss

Dx 8/31/2012, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 9/17/2012, LCISChemotherapy 09/27/2012 Adriamycin, CytoxanChemotherapy 12/19/2012 TaxolSurgery 04/30/2013 Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Right)Surgery 04/30/2013 Lumpectomy (Both)Radiation Therapy 07/09/2013 External

Oct 27, 2012 12:12AM, edited Oct 27, 2012 12:15AM by SelenaWolf

One of the reasons, I became interested in cooking again was because if I made it - from scratch - I would know what went in it.  I do my own canning and baking, as well.  I've found a reputable vendor for whole-grain and rye flours, and make all my own bread because I can control the amounts- and kinds of sugar needed.  If I bake a pie, I, routinely, begin by making a whole-grain dough and - for any/all fruit fillings used - I radically cut the sugar recommended.  Sometimes I don't use sugar at all and only use a bit of honey drizzled sparingly on top.

I've also become an obsessive label-reader, but - what frightens me stupid is - even if a "nasty" preservative isn't used in the food (and, thus, isn't listed on the labels), it may still have been added to the packaging.  It doesn't have to appear of a list of ingredients since it is part of the packaging.  GAH!!!  I nearly tore my hair out when I read that.  (Wish I could remember where, but it was a newspaper article and I haven't been able to track it down.)

So, while I will still use some processed (i.e., canned or frozen) food, I watch the labels (it must have less than ten ingredients and they must all be something that I know/recognize), I do what I can to buy my food "whole" and make it myself.  I love contemporary French cooking because of it's emphasis on "whole" and "organic".  I love ethnic cuisine because of its creative use of spices and herbs for flavour (just avoid MSG).  I grow all of my own herbs (they may be sprinkled in cat pee but there are no pesticides used in my garden).  I've cut my sodium usage WAY down.

I try to work with what is available to me and what I can change, but I try not to sweat the stuff that I can't do anything about.  At least, right now.

Oct 27, 2012 12:15AM CelineFlower wrote:

ya selena!

good for you... im sure your body appreciates it

20 years ago.. we averaged 2 1/2 hours in the kitchen a day..

today..its 20 minutes..

I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me! ~Dr. Seuss

Dx 8/31/2012, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 9/17/2012, LCISChemotherapy 09/27/2012 Adriamycin, CytoxanChemotherapy 12/19/2012 TaxolSurgery 04/30/2013 Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Right)Surgery 04/30/2013 Lumpectomy (Both)Radiation Therapy 07/09/2013 External

Oct 27, 2012 12:24AM, edited Oct 27, 2012 12:24AM by SelenaWolf

You can still make a meal in 20 minutes using whole ingredients.  The trick is to expand your recipe base.

I make whole-wheat pasta (from scratch) and freeze it.  A quick-and-easy "whole" sauce is made using tomatoes from my garden (fresh in summer, preserved by me in winter).  I chop them and sautee them in a pan with olive oil and a clove of organic garlic.  Then, I add herbs (either fresh in summer or dried by me in winter); chopped basil, chives, oregano, savoury.  Or I use a couple of spoonfuls my own pesto-blend.  When it's bubbling, add cooked pasta and sautee some more.

Yummy, healthy meal.  Total prep-time - 25 minutes.

Oct 27, 2012 12:32AM CelineFlower wrote:

the survey said.. 20 minutes a day..sadly...thats three meals.. thank you mocrowave

Oct 27, 2012 12:33AM CelineFlower wrote:

and it include prep and clean up time..

we r just to busy to eat well ...* celine rolls her eyes *

Oct 27, 2012 01:22AM momoschki wrote:

Has anyone found a source for canned tomatoes without BPA? This is the only canned food I use regularly (to make sauce) and it seems that even the imported Italian ones, which I think are the best, still have the plastic lining in the can. Suggestions?

ADH dx 3/11

Surgery 03/11/2011 Lumpectomy (Left)

Oct 27, 2012 01:31AM SelenaWolf wrote:

I wasn't able to.  Ended up canning my own using glass jars and the boiling-water bath method.

Oct 27, 2012 02:13AM quinnofmn wrote:

Just dropping in as I use non BPA canned tomatoes - Bella Terra Italian whole peeled tomatoes.  I get them at my food coop. yummy  

Mary

2/7/2011 DCIS Stage 0 Grade 3, 2 lumpectomies, Radiation

Oct 27, 2012 02:23AM momoschki wrote:

Thanks so much -- will look around for this brand locally.

ADH dx 3/11

Surgery 03/11/2011 Lumpectomy (Left)

Oct 27, 2012 02:33AM CelineFlower wrote:

expensive?

Oct 27, 2012 04:02AM Blessings2011 wrote:

We love spaghetti, and I used to use lots of different pastas made with brown rice flour, high fiber wheat, etc.

But I'm still on a restricted meal plan, and not allowed carbs or starches yet except for fresh fruit. When I DO get put back on starches, everything will be gluten-free, as that seems to have made the biggest difference in how I feel over the past few months.

Last week, though, I made some awesome spaghetti sauce from tomatoes from our garden, onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Instead of noodles, I used spaghetti squash. DH loved it, it was on my "approved" list, and it was just another healthy, low calorie, very low glycemic index, nutrient-filled veggie. Soooo yummy!

Dx 9/15/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 12/05/2011 Mastectomy (Both); Lymph Node Removal (Left); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both)Surgery 08/22/2012 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)Hormonal Therapy 09/05/2012 ArimidexHormonal Therapy 10/22/2013 Femara

Oct 31, 2012 10:19PM Kaara wrote:

Blessings:  Congratulations on your weight loss!  When I first joined this site last year you were starting on this diet...I'm glad to see it has been successful for you!

I've succeeded in reducing my BMI from about 24 down to 20 so that's a good thing!  A lot of the fat around my middle has gone away, and I feel much healthier.  I was just exposed to a major case of flu from a friend and didn't catch it...wow...was I lucky!  As they say though..."luck is when preparation meets opportunity!"

Kaara

Nov 22, 2012 12:53PM crabbiepattie wrote:

I use boxed Pomi tomatoes - no BPA but a little pricey.

Dx 6/8/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 1/11 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Nov 22, 2012 02:19PM mdg wrote:

I also use Pomi tomatoes!  I avoid BPA and Trader Joe's has lots of canned items that are BPA free.  They are not labelled, so you will have to ask. 

Maria Visit my BC Blog at http://breastcancerwontdefineme.blogspot.com/

Dx 12/13/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 12/23/2010 Lumpectomy (Right)Surgery 01/27/2011 Mastectomy (Right); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both)Chemotherapy 03/03/2011 Cytoxan, TaxotereHormonal Therapy 05/19/2011 TamoxifenSurgery 06/22/2011 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)Surgery 12/10/2011 Reconstruction: Nipple reconstruction (Both)

Jan 21, 2013 07:19AM smo23915 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am wondering how many of you dye your hair?  I asked 3 onc and all 3 siad it was ok.  Not sure what to do.

smo

Jan 21, 2013 07:24AM Momine wrote:

Smo, as far as I know, hair dyes these days are perfectly safe. I do not use them, but only because I am too lazy ;)

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIb, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy 06/20/2011 Cytoxan, Ellence, fluorouracil, TaxotereSurgery 09/13/2011 Mastectomy (Both)Radiation Therapy 01/09/2012 ExternalSurgery 03/08/2012 Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)Hormonal Therapy 04/01/2012 Femara

Apr 16, 2013 07:21AM deb1973 wrote:

I've read that adding cinnamon can reduce blood sugar so maybe an extra preventative measure in addition to eating whole foods and avoiding added sugar is to sprinkle fruits or other foods that have naturally occurring sugar with cinnamon? Just a thought:)

Page 1 of 2 (33 results)