We are 144,790 members in 73 forums discussing 114,635 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Healthy Recipes for Everyday Living → Topic: L-glutamine

Topic: L-glutamine

Forum: Healthy Recipes for Everyday Living — A place to share our "healthier" recipes and food tips for everyday life.

Posted on: Apr 15, 2007 05:27PM

2curvy wrote:

Hi ladies - What is this and what is it used for? Thanks!

Posts 1 - 30 (30 total)

Apr 16, 2007 05:13AM FitChik wrote:

Hi Colleen...L-Glutamine is a protein amino acid that is popular among body builders as it's thought to enhance performance and bulk. But here on these boards, we talk about it in a very different way. Quite a number of our oncologists (mine included) recommend the ingestion of L-Glutamine throughout chemotherapy to help avoid the neuropathy that is one of the side effects of the taxanes. Ladies here have had varying degrees of success using it for this purpose, but it certainly seemed to help me!

"Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim." ~Nora Ephron

Oct 14, 2008 11:07AM Springtime wrote:

Hi all,

I have L-Glutamine but am wondering about the dosage. I just got Taxol #2 and am starting to feel tingling in fingers!! ahhhck!

Can you all tell me how many grams you took, and how many times per day? Anybody that had success with L-Glutamine for Peripheral neuropathy?  I have seen things ranging from a 15 grams twice a day (that would be A LOT) to 1 gram 4 times a day...  The bottle of powder says 1-2 grams per day, just once a day. That may not be enough though...

Springtime

Psalm 91: 14-16 "Because she loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue her; I will protect her, for she acknowledges my name. She will call upon me, and I will answer her; I will be with her in trouble, I will deliver her and honor her. W long life...

Dx 7/10/2008, IDC, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 15, 2008 06:35AM Tamara wrote:

I am unsure of the right dosage as well.  The instruction sheet from my onco said 10 grams, 3x per day but that would be 30 grams a day.  The bottle says to start with 10 grams a day and anything more than 15 grams could cause stomach distress - I don't need any more of that! The guy at the vitamen store agreed that 30 grams would be too high - more than serious body builders use.  I have just been following the recommendation on the bottle. 

Dx 5/30/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 1/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 15, 2008 01:28PM Springtime wrote:

Tamara,

I have seen 30 MGs all over the internet, and the "reach to recovery" volunteer said that's what her doctor told her to do (about that much.) My bottle says just 2mg a day!  Sheesh, that is like WAY different.

Did you get yours at GNC? Mine was not, maybe I should go to GNC and get that version!

Springtime

Psalm 91: 14-16 "Because she loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue her; I will protect her, for she acknowledges my name. She will call upon me, and I will answer her; I will be with her in trouble, I will deliver her and honor her. W long life...

Oct 15, 2008 03:08PM Tamara wrote:

I got mine at a different health/vitamen store - don't recall the name.  Maybe there are differences in the brands?  I have not had any neuropathy in my hands/feet but have been getting alot of muscle aches which I thought the L-glutamine was supposed to help with . . .   The aches only last a day or two - so maybe it is helping. 

Just one more round and hope to never have to deal with chemo SE again!

Dx 5/30/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 1/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 15, 2008 06:21PM Springtime wrote:

Yes I have two more rounds Tamara! We are both almost done! :)

I think the L-Glutamine did help with my aches this time, they have been much less than last round... I feel a slight tingling in a few fingers - but not bad. I'm going to keep trying it and hope for the best!

Oct 27, 2008 07:32PM bmdaley wrote:

Hello ladies, my nutritionist turned me on to a wonderful product made by the company Xymogen called GlutAloeMine which has L-glutamine, aloe & licorice root. It protects my stomach and digestive system lining and I can tell you I seriously miss it if I run out. Here's a bit of info about it:

http://www.xymogen.com/2008/formula.asp?code=000017

http://www.xymogen.com/uploads/attributes/DRS157glutaloemine0407.pdf

And here's a description of L-glutamine --

L-Glutamine, the most abundant free form amino acid in the body, is very important for maintaining gastrointestinal and stimulated immune cell functioning. It is an important transporter of nitrogen (and carbon) in the body and therefore, is vital in wound healing. Although glutamine can be synthesized by the intestinal mucosa, during periods of physiological stress when needs can not likely be met by the body alone, gut epithelial atrophy, ulceration and even necrosis are possible.1 L-glutamine is metabolized to ammonia and glutamate.

Beth -- Dx Stage II/III 1/2004. HER2+, ER+, PR-. Dx Stage IV 11/2007 liver, chest wall, bones.

Oct 28, 2008 06:04AM Springtime wrote:

I am on my second bottle of L-Glutamine, I just finished Taxol #3 yesterday, so have one more treatment to go. I feel hardly any Neuropathy, and I'm taking between 24-30 mg a day with juice.

My ONC said there is no proof it works, but it's not "contra-indicated" (meaning it can't hurt you either). So, onward! 

Springtime

Oct 29, 2008 10:26AM crazy4carrots wrote:

Hi All:

Regarding the correct amount to take, it seems there might be a little confusion about grams and milligrams!  One gram equals 1,000 milligrams (mg).  My bottle of L-Glutamine suggests taking one 500-mg capsule twice a day, for a total of 1 gram.

BTW I take only one capsule, at bedtime, as recommended by my healthfood store owner.  I think it has really helped, although I do still have fingertip neuropathy from time to time.

Cheers, Linda

To follow by faith alone is to follow blindly -- Benjamin Franklin

Dx 1/10/2008, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Oct 29, 2008 10:50AM Springtime wrote:

I think I goofed up, But this study shows 15 grams 2x a day. THat is what I am doing, basically 2 TBS per day, with juice, twice a day. It is a high dosage, but so far, nothing bad, and no neuropathy. 

http://www.hrpca.org/glutamine.htm 

A recent paper in The Oncologist (Wei-Shu Wang et al, Oral Glutamine is Effective for Preventing Oxaliplatin-Induced Neuropathy in Colorectal Cancer Patients, The Oncologist 2007;12:312-319) reports successful results using 15 grams twice a day for seven consecutive days every 2 weeks starting on the day of oxaliplatin infusion. Table 2 from that paper has the results. While this study was not with a taxane, it does show how effective glutamine can be in preventing peripheral neuropathy. 

Nov 22, 2008 02:00AM, edited Nov 22, 2008 02:02AM by bar62

My Oncologist feels that if it doesn't harm me physiologically, and he has no proof that it does, take it. He's surprised, I developed  painful tingling fingers with purplish-black nail beds, two weeks  taking AC therapy, but I am Diabetic,  so maybe that's why. I also have blackberry looking spots on my tongue. arrgh.

PS

I'm on my Decadron high...can't sleep.

nite nite:)

Thanks again for this tip.

mina

No more radiation YEAH!

Dx 6/6/2008, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/19 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Nov 22, 2008 04:36AM goldie0827 wrote:

I worked with Naturopathic physicians during my treatments. During chemo I was taking the L-Glutimine. Mine is 10,500 mg. I was to take 1 tablespoon, 3 times a day for 5 days following chemo. Once I was done with chemo and started radiation, they had me take 1 tablespoon, twice a day, everyday. I am done with radiation now and they told me to just finish what I have, and then I don't have to take it anymore.

Lori

AKA - Sugar Lusty Heat! Hair pictures on my profile. DON'T LOOK DOWN ON ANYBODY, UNLESS YOU'RE PICKING THEM UP!

Dx 3/27/2008, ILC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 22, 2008 12:56PM Springtime wrote:

I tool L-G for the week of chemo. Did good until about a week and a half after my last chemo. Then I started getting link pinchy/stings (like pin pricks?) on and off in my hands, wrists and fingers.

I got more L-Glutamin today. I am going to see if this works...

Spring.

Nov 23, 2008 04:34PM cp418 wrote:

Will L-Glutamine help with neuropathy after 2 years post Taxol?  My onc was useless when it came to preventing symptoms.  I wish I knew about this supplement when I took Taxol 2 years ago.  I had very bad neuropathy during my 1st Taxol treatment and the neuropathy still flairs up - - worse now with cold weather.  I've been taking B-complex which has helped a little.

Nov 23, 2008 07:21PM Springtime wrote:

CP, I don't know about 2 years later. But I started up the L-Glutamin yesterday and had had three doses so far and I already notice a lessening of the symptoms. I'm staying on it! I genearlly do 2 TBS a day like Goldie above mentioned. Maybe I'll do like Goldie and stay on it through RADs and then finish and see how I do.

BTW, My onc did not tell me about this, but said it was not "contraindicated" when I asked. Another woman clued me in. My Dr. office and nurses did not encourage me at all... but I told them I was going to try it.

Goldie, What are Naturopathic physicians? (natural?)

Nov 24, 2008 05:04AM goldie0827 wrote:

They have the Naturopathic doctors at the center where I was treated. They work with you individuallly and suggest which natural supplements will help you through your treatment. I was taking all kinds of things that were to help with my immune system, my heart, my bones and energy. At one time I was taking up to 25 pills a day! I breezed through all of my treatments with hardly any side effects at all. Don't know if it was the supplements or not, but I wasn't willing to stop taking them to find out. He is working with me now to try and get these hot flashes under control!

Another friend of mine that couldn't always afford them, could tell a difference from when she was off and when she started taking them again.

Lori

AKA - Sugar Lusty Heat! Hair pictures on my profile. DON'T LOOK DOWN ON ANYBODY, UNLESS YOU'RE PICKING THEM UP!

Dx 3/27/2008, ILC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 24, 2008 11:22AM Springtime wrote:

Fascinating. I wish I had access to someone like that!!! Thanks for the info...

Nov 24, 2010 04:50PM kathyrd wrote:

It's been a couple of years since anyone posted on L-glutamine. Is there anything new? Does it work for peripheral neuropathy, even after treatment? Is there any concensus on the dosage? Is it still considered to be safe? Where's the best place to get some? I finished the hard stuff (lumpectomy, chemo (TCH), and radiation) in Oct 2010. I still have Herceptin infusions every 2-3 weeks and I've been on Armidex for about a month - so far, so good. Soon I may start Zometa, assuming my insurance will cover it. My toes and feet are still pretty numb - feels like I'm always walking on pads - but I'm still able to walk 3-4 miles a day. It's mostly just annoying, but I'd still like it to go away!

Nov 24, 2010 05:35PM Springtime wrote:

I don't have anything new -- just that it worked for me. During Taxol, I had pinchy stings in my hands and fingers. I took 1 TBSP 3x a day with juice. My symptoms went away. After a while, I stopped, The symptoms came back. I took it again, they went away. Later, I stopped, and was okay.  I now see an osteopath and she has me taking 2-3 tsp daily, just for "energy and repair". So I am still taking it, just at a lower dose. Hope his helps! I believe it is perfectly safe. Even my onc said there is no proof it works, but she said it was not "contra indicated". It worked for me!

Dec 16, 2010 05:38PM mcdonacwho wrote:

I was told to start taking glutamine the day of chemo for 5 days about2 tsp 3x day in water or juice not milk I have had no pain and not much tingling

Mar 5, 2011 09:19AM donnaalvarez1 wrote:

I have been a manager of several GNC stores for over 7 years and am pursuing a degree in Holistic Nutrition.  In most of the references to glutamine, I am seeing the dosages in milligrams, which is WAY too low.  One serving (one teaspoon) of our powdered glutamine is five grams.  When taken in "therapeutic dosages," milligrams is simply not adequate enough.........I hope this provides anyone some useful information. 

Jul 22, 2011 07:09AM PLJ wrote:

For prevention of peripheral neuropathy, my Naturopathic Onc. recommended l-glutamine 10 g/day 1 week before chemo and said I could decrease it to 3.8 g/day on 'off' weeks. She also suggested alpha-lipoic acid daily, at least 3 days prior to chemo.

Living is not about worrying how much time you have but deciding what to do with the time that you have been given. Choose well. Dx: May 3/11. 1 cm Mixed Mucinous Carcinoma inside 6 cm DCIS Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/1 Node, Oncotype 16, ER+/PR+, Her2-

Jul 22, 2011 07:16AM, edited Jul 22, 2011 07:16AM by apple

that is the dosage I used pretty much PLJ.  As a pianist I was very concerned about the effects of neuropathy while on taxol and I documented (for myself) how it worked. I found it was very helpful days 1-8 after my infusion.. and then I could slack off on a 'maintenance dosage'.  I found it helped alot.  I took two of 8 infusions off to test to see if it really worked and found the neuropathy was much worse without it.. also took B6.  I never thought to start taking it before infusion days.  dang.

peace and love, apple - ..... Mary Magdalen

Dx 4/10/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/9 nodes, mets, ER+, HER2+

Nov 2, 2011 08:21AM TexasKaren wrote:

Is there a difference between the powder and the pills?  I have pills that are 500 mg.  Directions say to take 1 or 2 tablets, once to four times a day... that would be like 4,000 mg if you did that!  I don't have any neuropathy, but have been reading about it helping with muscle mass loss in cancer patients... my little arms and legs are just wasting away.  I was going to start at 1,000 a day (1 pill 2x day)

Texas Karen: Live every day like it's your last. Not for yourself, but for others, with love, joy, hope and courage in all you do.

Dx 12/17/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 8/14 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Feb 13, 2012 05:11PM, edited Feb 13, 2012 05:31PM by shera

I'm working with a naturopath post-surgery (mastectomy) and intend to throughout chemotherapy.

Right now she has me taking l-glutamine powder, 2 scoops (= 2 teaspoons) twice a day between meals. This equals 6000 mg twice a day. (12gms or 12000mg daily)

This is my post-surgery dosage, and I'll post if it changes once I begin chemo.  

To take it - I add warm water to almond milk then add the powder in. I read that hot liquids kill the protein, so I'm sticking to warm liquids.

TCx4 @ 2/29, 3/21, 4/11, 5/2, multi-centric, UMX w/ TE 1-26-12, clear margins, no rads, Tamoxifen, final exchange surgery to be scheduled fall 2012

Dx 11/28/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 14, 2012 07:34AM, edited Feb 14, 2012 07:36AM by leggo

I just found this thread. My kids are both into bodybuilding so they use it all the time and they turned me onto it. All I know about it though, is that they use it so their muscles don't hurt the next day. Now that I've been using it, I wouldn't go without. It hasn't done anything for my neuropathy though, but some aches and pains have disappeared. It's nice to stumble onto something that actually works. I don't know the recommended dosage either, so I just take as much as they do (5g 4 X daily).

Edited to add: seems to be the thing that has helped with my high blood pressure too! (but that's just a guess) and it certainly helped me to recover after surgery. The doctors were amazed at how quickly I healed.

Dx IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 26/35 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Mar 5, 2013 08:04PM AnnieLane wrote:

I start chemo this Thursday and asked my oncologist's nurse about it today. She said they would have no concerns with me taking it, which leads me to believe it's still considered safe. I got the powdered form.

"Even so, it is well with my soul." (H.G.Spafford) Age 57 at DX, Oncotype # 21

Dx 1/2/2013, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 01/30/2013 Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Right)Chemotherapy 03/07/2013 Cytoxan, TaxotereRadiation Therapy 06/03/2013 ExternalHormonal Therapy 06/25/2013 Arimidex

Mar 26, 2013 08:15AM WendyBor wrote:

I just joined and have found this posting very useful thank you!  I am almost done with my Cytoxan/Taxotere - Yay! But I am suffering with muscle stiffness and pain that is hard to manage day to day mixed with a full time job and kids.  My Oncologist did recommend I take this, but they pulled me off it midway through treatment due to excess joint fluid retention.  I find it hard to believe L-glutamine caused this, so I started taking it again today for another trial run - going to start with 1 Teaspoon 3 x a day. 

May 24, 2013 07:47PM AnnieLane wrote:

I've finished chemo and took L-Glutamine starting the day of each treatment and for the following week. I took 1TBSP twice a day in juice or lemonade. My MO had no objections and I think it helped me tolerate the chemo pretty well. I never had any mouth sores or peripheral neuropathy. I also began taking B12 and B6 after I had lots of sharping stabbing nerve pain all over from my first treatment. I also iced my hands and feet during the Taxotere infusions, so that probably helped prevent the peripheral neuropathy also.

"Even so, it is well with my soul." (H.G.Spafford) Age 57 at DX, Oncotype # 21

Dx 1/2/2013, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 01/30/2013 Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Right)Chemotherapy 03/07/2013 Cytoxan, TaxotereRadiation Therapy 06/03/2013 ExternalHormonal Therapy 06/25/2013 Arimidex

Jul 3, 2013 04:37AM, edited Jul 4, 2013 09:59PM by Tr4c3y

This Post was deleted by Tr4c3y.
Dx 4/4/2013, IBC, 3cm, Stage IV, ER-/PR-, HER2+Chemotherapy 04/11/2013 TaxotereTargeted Therapy 04/11/2013 HerceptinTargeted Therapy 04/11/2013 PerjetaChemotherapy 05/10/2013 Taxol