We are 144,777 members in 73 forums discussing 114,616 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: mastectomy photos

Topic: mastectomy photos

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Nov 14, 2007 09:34PM, edited Nov 14, 2007 09:34PM by shrink

shrink wrote:

I'm having a bi-lat mastectomy on Dec. 3 and would like to see some photos of how it might look as preparation.  I think it would be easier to see a picture rather than looking at myself so that when I do, I won't pass out.  Anyone know where to look?

Posts 1 - 22 (22 total)

Nov 14, 2007 10:17PM ps123 wrote:

There's some pictures on this site, which was set up by a member of this site:

http://www.breastfree.org/

Good luck with your surgery!

Pat

Nov 16, 2007 01:40PM kimmie39 wrote:

I just entered mastectomy and Reconstruction on my search engine and started investigating.

Kim 

Recurrent IBC Stage 3b Rt and Left w/ node involvement er - pr- her2-/ updated to stage 4 11/25/07 bone mets found on CT

Nov 16, 2007 02:21PM lvtwoqlt wrote:

I was lucky in that I had gone with my mom to the local Breast Cancer support group after I was dx with ADH in 2005 and have made great friends with the ladies there. After my dx of DCIS this past April, and my decision for the bi-lat mast, one of the great ladies took me into the restroom and showed me what she looked like after her bi-lat mast. You might want to check with your local hospital to see if there is an active support group and someone there might be willing to show and explain what will happen.

Sheila

Women are like tea bags, we don't know how strong we are until we were thrown into hot water. Eleanore Roosevelt Diagnosed ADH Feb 2005, ADH Sept 2006

Dx 4/27/2007, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/7 nodesSurgery 02/12/2005 Lumpectomy (Left)Surgery 09/10/2006 Lumpectomy (Right)Hormonal Therapy 10/12/2006 TamoxifenSurgery 06/01/2007 Mastectomy (Both)

Nov 16, 2007 03:19PM shrink wrote:

Thanks Ladies:  I do know the procedure and have seen some pictures.  It was upsetting but helpful so that when the time comes, I feel a little more confident that I won't faint.  I think I will cry, however.  It's a loss nevertheless.

Dx 5/23/2007, IBC, 6cm+, Stage IIIc, Grade 3, 21/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 16, 2007 05:32PM AnneW wrote:

Yes, it is a loss, and you're entitiled to shed as many tears as you need to.

I remember the "old days" when I was a hospital nurse, we would make sure one of us was with a woman who was viewing her mastectomy for the first time. Everyone reacts differently, and most of us cry.

Not because of what we see, but because of what we don't see.

Hang in there.

Anne

2002 IDC stage 1, grade 1, rads & AI

Dx 9/18/2007, ILC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 31, 2007 04:38PM Kimr1960 wrote:

Ok I have been dealing with breast cancer for the past 4 years now. Ive been threw chemo and radiation and it has come back 4 times now. I have been told to get a mastectomy. I feel like now what. I dont think I want to do reconstruction. I am not sure. Ive been told if it comes back you have less of a chance of detecting it in time. I am not sure what to expect looks wise or pain wise? Can anyone help? Thank you.

Dec 31, 2007 05:00PM Binney4 wrote:

Hi, Kimr, and welcome to the boards here. I hope you'll find both information and comfort here, as I do. I'm so sorry you've had to face off with this BC beast so many times. How exhausting!

The website mentioned above, http://breastfree.org, is a good place to find pictures of mastectomy results, and also stories of others who have made this decision and lots of information about coping, both emotionally and practically. Like how to find the right bras and prostheses, for example.

There's also another board here at breastcancer.org that's for those of us who have had mastectomies without reconstruction. You can find it in the main board index or go directly to it here:

http://community.breastcancer.org/topic/82

Pain-wise the surgery it easier than many -- not so hard to recover from as abdominal surgeries, and not so debilitating as, say, hip or knee replacement. But no surgery is a piece of cake, and the loss of our breasts is a real loss, which calls for time and space to grieve and to heal. That said, I have to say I have never regretted my decision to have bilateral mastectomies and no reconstruction. While it's not fool-proof, it's a huge load off my mind. And I'm sure not missing those mammos! Wink

Wishing you a peaceful mind with whatever decision you make, and a permanent end to the bc.

Be well!

Binney 

Jan 5, 2008 04:07AM caroline21 wrote:

Hi, I hope your operation went well.  I am thinking of having the op as i have had breast cancer and have the possibilities of it returning- do you feel better in your mind for doing this.

Best regards for a speedy recovery

caroline21

Jan 9, 2008 01:33PM coralynn wrote:

Hello Ladies, I am scheduled for a dbl mast on Jan 17th, was DX w/IDC on 12/24/07.... I have cried so much its been very hard trying to process all of this.. How much help will I need after surgery at home.. Will I be able to take care of my own personal needs or should someone be home with me for a couple of days? I don't know what to do... Losing my breast is not easy..And I just have no choice in the matter....Please keep me in your prayers ladies....

Jan 9, 2008 01:33PM, edited Jan 9, 2008 01:36PM by coralynn

This Post was deleted by coralynn.

Jan 9, 2008 02:23PM lewisfamily503 wrote:

You can also Private message timtam and ask her for a special site that you need a password to get into.  It's by far the best place for pictures, if you ask me.  Good luck!

Anne 

Anne

Dx 10/19/2007, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+

Jan 9, 2008 06:04PM twogirls wrote:

Coralyn,

I have my bilat mast scheduled for Jan 18th.  I sent you a personal message if you want to message back and forth while we both wait.  Hang in there....you will have lots of support on these boards! 

dx10/9/07 Stage 1, IDC, DCIS and ILC, nodes -, ER+/PR+ HER-

Dx 10/9/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 15, 2008 03:59PM whoopsiedoodles wrote:

Hey ladies, I have a thread I started somewhere on the boards offering my photo journal of my pictures.  If you pm me with your email I can forward you the link (it won't post on bc.org for some reason). 

Love and prayers, Deb

"And if it turns out it's over too fast, I'll make every last moment last"

Dx 9/29/2005, IDC, 6cm+, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Mar 31, 2008 08:53AM Deen wrote:

Hi All,

This may seem a bit out of place, but I'm trying to work out how to private message TimTam in order to access the photo site.  Can anyone help?

Deen

Life's tough, get a helmet.

Dx 1/2008, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/35 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 31, 2008 09:38AM, edited Mar 31, 2008 09:40AM by lvtwoqlt

Deen, At the top of the page where it says you are logged on as Deen, there is a link that says member list, click on that and do a search for TimTam. Click on her name and her profile page will come up. click on send TimTam a message. You will be taken to an email type page where you can send her the message.

To check for received messages, in the same area where you saw member list, you will see HOME. If you have a new message you will see HOME (1). Click on home to go to your home-profile page. on the left side you will see pm new and sent. Here is where you can click to read your new pm.

sheila

Women are like tea bags, we don't know how strong we are until we were thrown into hot water. Eleanore Roosevelt Diagnosed ADH Feb 2005, ADH Sept 2006

Dx 4/27/2007, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/7 nodesSurgery 02/12/2005 Lumpectomy (Left)Surgery 09/10/2006 Lumpectomy (Right)Hormonal Therapy 10/12/2006 TamoxifenSurgery 06/01/2007 Mastectomy (Both)

Apr 1, 2008 07:10PM Deen wrote:

Thanks Sheila.  Have sent TimTam the message.

Deen

Life's tough, get a helmet.

Dx 1/2008, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/35 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 1, 2008 11:43PM LinS wrote:

i will definately add mine here if i can figure it out..i want to help in any way i can...i didnt see any photos b4 my surgery and wish i had just to mentally prepare....how do  post them on here...anyone..can u tell me???

thanks   god bless...love 2 all the sisters...

Linda Stafford

Dx 2/25/2008, IDC, 2cm, mets

Apr 1, 2008 11:48PM crazydaisy wrote:

There are photos on a thread called beauty and the beast.....also on one called one womans story, I'll bump them for you

Viv " The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain"

Dx 1/7/2008, DCIS, 4cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-

Apr 1, 2008 11:53PM LinS wrote:

if you give me your e-mail i can send the pics fasterthat way..i am a little computer illiterate....but do know how to do it quick on email.

mine is rednewt0914@yahoo.com

when you u gett the email from me it will look like spam kinda cuz its my maiden name spelled backwards.....so dont delete....(adnil ednub)...

eager to share.w.u as it helps me knowing i am finally helping someone else in a small way..instead of me always pathetic and asking for advice and etc.....

hugs

linda stafford

Dx 2/25/2008, IDC, 2cm, mets

Apr 2, 2008 01:25AM kes wrote:

Hi Ladies,

I found a great book on reconstruction if anyone is interested. It does a bio of the woman and she tells about her reconstruction and the type that she chose to do. It is called Reconstructing Aphrodite and the web site is www.reconstructingaphrodite.com I have seen the book and I think that it took me 2 days to read it. One of those ones that you cannot put down.

KES

Apr 30, 2008 10:50AM otter wrote:

bumping for new surgeries.

otter 

Dx IDC, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Feb 18, 2013 12:43PM buchanwebb1 wrote:

I have recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. I would like to see post-operative photos following mastectomy.

JmBuchanWebb