We are 144,991 members in 73 forums discussing 114,808 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: Steri strips after biopsy

Topic: Steri strips after biopsy

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Jun 2, 2008 11:19PM

Keryl wrote:

I think someone wrote about this earlier, but now distant. I had excision biopsy 3 weeks ago (5/13) steri strips not budging. any advice? Is that ok? I am trying to take more showers to loosen them up. Any better advice or will they just take course? (they do itch!)

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Jun 2, 2008 11:40PM priz47 wrote:

Keryl,

I still have some of mine. My lumpectomy with SNB was 5/9. The ones on my armpit are off, but I still have 3 on my other incision. I put Vit E cream on all around them (but not on them) to relieve the itching. as they start to peel away, I have been trying to help them along. They won't cause any harm, just nnoying.

D

Dx 4/22/2008, ILC, 1cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 3, 2008 09:28AM lvtwoqlt wrote:

My PS and breast surgeon said if it has been more that 2 weeks, it is safe to gently pull them off from each end toward the incision so you don't pull the incision apart. But if you let them fall off your incision may be less noticible in the long run.

Women are like tea bags, we don't know how strong we are until we were thrown into hot water. Eleanore Roosevelt Diagnosed ADH Feb 2005, ADH Sept 2006

Dx 4/27/2007, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/7 nodesSurgery 02/12/2005 Lumpectomy (Left)Surgery 09/10/2006 Lumpectomy (Right)Hormonal Therapy 10/12/2006 TamoxifenSurgery 06/01/2007 Mastectomy (Both)

Jun 3, 2008 10:36AM NancyD wrote:

It doesn't matter if you want to take them off now, just be careful peeling them off.  Unfortunately, I found out I am allergic to the adhesive. I developed a huge blister where ever the adhesive touched my skin and I had to take them off after a couple of days. I still have pink scars from that from February.

I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.

Dx 2/22/2008, IDC, Stage IIIa, Grade 2, 4/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy 03/22/2008 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, Taxotere

Jun 4, 2008 07:20PM SandyinSoCal wrote:

I developed blisters too, and used Neosporin faithfully for a couple of weeks until the outer layer of skin fell off.   The blistering was so bad that they turned into blood blisters.  I don't think I'll end up with scars but the areas are still pink, from five weeks ago. 

I am wonderfully made to do ExtraOrdinary things! (www.girleo.com)

Dx 5/22/2007, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 5, 2008 12:46AM Jule wrote:

I had blisters from the steri strips and from the tape from the sentinel node biopsy and the port. Why is that? My incisions are slowly healy it has been almost a month and the doc says it is fine. I am wondering if it is taking longer because I removed steri strips after 2 days because of the blisters after talking with the doc.

Julie

Dx 4/23/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, Grade 2, 2/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 5, 2008 08:30PM Erica wrote:

keryl,

If you're not having an allergic reaction, just letting them fall off naturally is the best way to minimize the scar you're left with. At least that was my surgeon's advice. Mine took forever to fall off after bilateral mastectomies, but my scars are nice and thin.

Barbara 

BreastFree.org (breastfree.org); BreastFree Blog (breastfree.blogspot.com); Twitter @BreastFree

Jun 5, 2008 09:15PM wishiwere wrote:

Vitamin E's do contain Soy oil, so think about that.  That said, I did use it on the steri's I had on my face after the one inch incision to remove a mole recently.  As the ends loosened, I'd snip them off. Eventually there was just a small area attached to a scab, that I soaked in vita.E and then worked it off slowly.  But what Erica said is true.  the longer you keep them, most likely the narrower scar you will have b/c it keeps the skin from pulling on that area when you move.

wishiwere~ Path read stage 1C- 1st Primary was IDC w/DCIS 1.4 cm, ER/PR+ & HER2-

Dx 9/21/2007, ILC, 1cm, Stage Ib, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 8, 2008 07:56AM NancyD wrote:

Jule, sounds as if you had the same reaction that I did. It's an allergy to the adhesive. You may also have an allergy to latex because the adhesive has a latex base.

When I go in for my surgery next month, I plan to write across my chest "NO STERI STRIPS". I know my surgeon knows, but some well-meaning nurse might decide to apply them after he's finished and gone. I might also write some notes about latex use...keep it to a minimum....for the rest of the surgical team to be on the safe side. I just read in another thread about latex catheters causing vaginal irritation if you have a known allergy.

I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.

Dx 2/22/2008, IDC, Stage IIIa, Grade 2, 4/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy 03/22/2008 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, Taxotere