We are 144,868 members in 73 forums discussing 114,695 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: Lumpectomy Recovery Time?

Topic: Lumpectomy Recovery Time?

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Jul 15, 2008 03:56PM

oldlady wrote:

I know it varies with the individual, but how much time did you need to take off from work? In retrospect, was your guesstimate too little or too much?

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Jul 15, 2008 04:16PM HensonChi wrote:

I had a double lumpectomy on May 22.  I took off two weeks, but only because I had a drain and the doc wouldn't take it stopped draining too much, so I wore it for 2 weeks.  That was actually worse than the operation itself.  Today is July 15 and I am probably now doing well enough to golf or kayak....I still have a bit of numbness, but I did the exercises and continue to do so.

Dx 1/22/2008, ILC, 1cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 15, 2008 05:30PM vhqh wrote:

I had surgery on Monday and took the week off.  I felt good enough I could have gone back sooner but I didn't, even with the axilliary node disection.  I did not have a drain though.

IDC, er+/pr +, her2 +++, stage IV

Jul 16, 2008 05:59AM az8n wrote:

I took 2 weeks off as it has been planned way before my diagnosis.  It was the week before Xmas last year and back to work the day after new year.

I flew 5+ hours to see family, the day after surgery.  Surgeon asked how I did with that as cabin pressure would have given me more pain on top of what I already had from the surgical wound.

It was hard sleeping and carrying stuff (driving, too as I am a left hand steerer) but other than that, life was normal.  I would cup the left breast in the shower so I do not misalign the stitches.  It hurt when it was stretched.  TMI  :-)

I joined family dinners and even shopped but when I feel pain, I lay down.  Works but goes back again when I am up and about.

Jul 16, 2008 06:03AM sam408 wrote:

I had my lumpectomy & SNB on Thursday and went back to work the following Tuesday. I was a little sore, but I had an office job so it was doable. Within a couple of weeks I was feeling pretty much back to normal.

Sheila . . .Never regret something that made you smile.

Dx 2/16/2007, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 16, 2008 06:09AM Joyce-PA wrote:

I had a lumpectomy in June 2007 on Thursday.  Went back to work on Tuesday.  Two weeks later, I had a reincision because they couldn't find the marker and dr. wanted to make sure they were in the right place.  Had that done on a Thursday and back to work on Monday.  I was pretty lucky.  During radiation, I went to work everyday.....a little fatigued but I have a desk job.  I could have taken off the six weeks but since I live alone, I would have had too much time on my hands.  On tamoxifen now for about 6 months....side effects are hot flashes/night sweats and lower back pain.

Lumpectomy 9/07; Reexcison 9/07; Rads 10/07-11/07; Started tamoxifen 1/08

Dx 6/5/2007, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 17, 2008 09:55PM ginam5 wrote:

My surgery was on Monday.  I must be a bigger whimp than the rest because I am so tired I cannot stand it and the pain is not mild - it is strong at times throughout the day and I am still relying on the pain meds. (which also make me dizzy and make me sleep)

I have an extremely stressful job. I have covered my position and have an accumulated balance of SL. Therefore, I plan on taking off 4 - 5 weeks. 

Although I feel blessed that this could have been so much worse for me, I still feel that this was a very traumatic experience for me and I want to re-coup both mentally and physically.

I need time to re-group and re-focus.

lastly, I was hoping someone could offer some feedback about swelling of the feet.  My feet are so swollen I cant even walk on them.  Any suggestions?

Jul 18, 2008 11:42AM nack35 wrote:

I had a lumpectomy the 1`st of July. It has a spot that is puffy and hard and just clothes touching it really hurts. Is that normal? I do have to have a second surgery,but this is really bothering me. Has anyone else had the side of your breast that has the incision really be so tender? N

Jul 19, 2008 02:48PM Pollygator wrote:

I had a lumpectomy and SNB June 30....same puffy, hard spot(s) and ANYthing that touches the area around my breast burns.  I too have 2nd surgery this coming week.  I believe this is nerve-related and will just take time to resolve...and will now be undoubtedly aggravated by the 2nd surgery on the same wound + axillary dissection.  Hope you heal fast and soon!