We are 144,871 members in 73 forums discussing 114,699 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: Heart Comfort Pillow

Topic: Heart Comfort Pillow

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Sep 24, 2008 12:01AM

NancyFJ wrote:

I have a website at http://www.heartpillow.dk/ where anyone can print the pattern and directions for making the comfort heart pillow completely free of charge.  The pillow has shown to help many women after surgery. Log in to post a reply

Posts 1 - 12 (12 total)

Sep 24, 2008 01:29AM twinbubbas wrote:

Love it!!  Thank you for sharing.  Those pillows look just perfect - the right size and shape.  I think I may just have to make a bunch to hand out to newly dx'd ladies.  Your website is first class.

Dx 8/14/2006, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/10 nodes, ER-/PR-

Sep 24, 2008 02:38AM kerry_lamb wrote:

Here in Launceston (Tasmania, Australia) a group of volunteers brings a little square cushion to all new mastectomy patients..it's about 30cm x 30cm. When I got mine I wondered what on earth use it could possibly be. Well..do you know it is worth it's weight in gold? It was so perfect for tucking under here and there, and now I sit it behind my bare neck when I am reading in bed so my neck doesn't get cold. (I can't wear a beanie on my bald head for too long..gets too hot.) A brilliant idea from those who know! 

I love your thought, twinbubbas. Just don't make it pink..I think we are all over pink!

XX Kerry 

Go hard or go home :)

Dx 2/15/2008, IDC, 3cm, 2/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 24, 2008 07:49AM BethNY wrote:

For women in the US many American Cancer Society chapters make the pillows and seatbelt covers, and you can get them for free by calling 1800-ACS-2345

Be your own hero

Sep 26, 2008 12:55AM, edited Sep 26, 2008 12:55AM by teamkatie

Such a comfort!  Great idea.  I was given them with a nice note at the hospital after surgery.  How thoughtful. 

Be Thankful

Dx 8/26/2008, ILC, 6cm+, Stage IIIb, Grade 3, 17/19 nodes

Sep 26, 2008 06:07AM, edited Apr 28, 2009 04:56PM by yellowrose

This Post was deleted by yellowrose.

You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived though this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' Eleanor Roosevelt

Sep 26, 2008 09:34AM jerseymaria wrote:

i received 4 of those great little pillows....2 from hospital in my pre-op tote bag and the other 2 from the acs reach to recovery lady who came after my surgery.  i still have 2.  they are wonderful.  i used them constantly after surgery including keeping one in the car when i could drive to put under the seat belt as it was pressing on my mast. area.  i gave one each to my young grandsons.  when they fall alseep in car in their carseat they have their own mini pillow to rest their heads on.  i had more pain in my armpit than anywhere else so at the beginning i used to walk around with one tucked in my armpit, i guess for security if nothing else.

Dx 2/27/2006, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 9/25 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Oct 26, 2008 09:19PM Scrappygrl wrote:

Oh my gosh, a lady I didn't even know brought two of these pillows (although much smaller than the pattern on the website) to me the other day and I don't know how I have managed without them.  The vest I am wearing rubs against my underarm and hurts it so it acts as a buffer and it has helped tremendously.  I like the idea so much, I think I am going to start making some myself and donating them to the hospital I had my surgery at and ask them to provide to patients that have surgeries for Breast Cancer.  It is a great tool for so little (money wise.)

When one door closes another one opens!

Dx 9/28/2008, DCIS, 3cm, Stage IIb, Grade 2, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 2/10/2012, Stage IV, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 28, 2008 04:45PM Firni wrote:

I called the ACS today to find out about the pillows.  I had to go to Boulder but they gave me two pillows coz I'm having a bilateral done.  They also gave me an eye thing that you can heat or cool.  And they gave me a bag in a bag.  Like little cosmetic bags.  It was so nice.  I feel like I'm a little more ready with some comfort things for my surgery tomorrow and Thurs. when I go home.   They didn't have the seatbelt covers tho.  Thank you, Beth, for letting us know where to get these things.

The only courage that matters is the kind that gets you from one moment to the next. ~Mignon McLaughlin TX bi-lat mast 10/29/08 6 rounds TC (Done 3/25/09)

Dx 9/9/2008, ILC, 1cm, Stage Ib, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 28, 2008 05:17PM sbmolee wrote:

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow Firni!  Post when you feel better and let us know how you are doing.

Live life to the fullest - it is not a spectator sport.

Dx 3/27/2008, DCIS, 2cm, Stage Ia, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 29, 2008 07:02AM Louspencer wrote:

Hi.....

Sometimes the simplest interventions are the most effective. For centuries, healers have recognized the power of applying a firm pressure, either as a support or a restraint. Such pressure is the basis of traction devices, and even -- when set into motion -- of massage.
Physicians, chiropractors and therapists recommend various supports for relieving pain, facilitating rest, and giving firm but gentle correction to areas prone to injury, strain or fatigue, which can be aggravated by misalignment.

We offer a full range of products to provide different areas of the body with simple, static support, in complete comfort. Here you will find pads, cushions, pillows, braces, belts and an orthopedic seat.....

[url=www.100percentnature.co.uk/inf... Treatment[/url]

Oct 29, 2008 07:26AM wishiwere wrote:

My pre-op packet came with something similar, but as someone said, not as angled.  Mine also had a strap of material, so when you were walking about the house, the strap went over your shoulder to keep it there. I used it mostly when sleeping for months, to keep the arm elevated above the heart and allow for drainage of those lymph nodes. I was so afraid of lymphedema.  I think I'll make some to take to the hospital group that supplies them. It was as someone said, the most used article, although I too, wondered if it were another 'pink' item given that would never be used. :)  SO glad I had it!

wishiwere~ Path read stage 1C- 1st Primary was IDC w/DCIS 1.4 cm, ER/PR+ & HER2-

Dx 9/21/2007, ILC, 1cm, Stage Ib, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 29, 2008 02:18PM, edited Oct 29, 2008 02:19PM by Lainey64

I received a pretty pink one from my BS in my pre-op bag.  When my mom had her mast back in 1982 she also got a pillow but it's a small square shape with a little ribbon.  I've kept it all these years and it has been sitting on the shelf in my closet.  After my mom passed away I just couldn't part with it.  I plan to use that little pillow when I need it.  It's the only connection to my mom and her BC that I have and in some odd way it will be very comforting.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/elainepaulsen

Dx 10/16/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 2/36 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-