We are 144,996 members in 73 forums discussing 114,812 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: Vitamin E oil, AloeVera, TeaTree post mastectomy?

Topic: Vitamin E oil, AloeVera, TeaTree post mastectomy?

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Feb 27, 2009 01:55PM

Chutney wrote:

all of these items have been mentioned as "must do" to me after my mastectomy in a couple weeks (no reconstruction). 

Does anyone have specific info: like how much, how soon after, etc.?  What worked for you? what wouldn't you do again? Did anyone use Arnica to reduce bruising?  does bruising matter for that matter?  :-)   If Vit E, did you use vitamin capsules or lotion or ?

BTW, the suggestions re what to bring to hospital, how to prep home for post surgery have been very very helpful so thanks to everyone who contributed to that forum.

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Feb 27, 2009 02:03PM mom_of_2 wrote:

I used 14,000 I.U. Vitamin E oil starting 3 weeks post op as suggested by my surgeon. I liberally massaged oil into incisions twice per day. I also took VitaMedica Arnica Montana 30X - 3 times per day. Bruising on cancer side was minimal but significant on healthy side. I plan on taking Arnica again when I have my implant swap in a couple of weeks.

Good Luck 

mom_of_2

Dx 6/2/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, Grade 2, 1/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Feb 27, 2009 09:55PM encoremom wrote:

I'm surprised you mentioned tea tree since you are ER+.  It's normally not recommended to use since it has estrogen like properties.

Debbie - BMX, DIEP and Arimidex.

Dx 8/8/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Feb 27, 2009 10:28PM soccermom96 wrote:

Took the whole VitaMedica series, including arnica and bromelein.  I'm very fair and bruise in a real rainbow of colors.  I had hardly any bruising.  Was told NOT to put anything on the incisions as it could lead to infection.  You might want to check with your surgeon.  Good luck!

Dx 9/8/2008, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+

Mar 1, 2009 01:29PM Chutney wrote:

thanks ladies,

I've rec'd so much conflicting info, e.g., re the teatree - no one has told me that it's estrogen-ish. 

Am going out to pick up some arnica & vit e oil.  Have heard something about bromelein (that' its used in meat tenderizers... so gotta learn more about that one!  

Dx 8/21/2008, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIa, Grade 2, 6/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-