We are 144,998 members in 73 forums discussing 114,816 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: Normally how long can I recover from lumpectomy?

Topic: Normally how long can I recover from lumpectomy?

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Apr 4, 2009 07:27PM, edited Apr 4, 2009 07:29PM by angelaju

angelaju wrote:

Doctor told me that she would cut a tissue like a golf ball. How long can I recover from it and go back to work? Dose anybody have the similar situation and can help me about the question?

Posts 1 - 14 (14 total)

Apr 5, 2009 05:18AM ikat wrote:

My Drs. originally said I could go back to work in one week...not I took two. But, this did not mean I am completely healed. Will they be taking lymph nodes? My surgery was on my left breast. This makes driving for me a little more interesting. Using the seat belt I needed a pillow/  Recovery is really a personal thing. I think it depends on what physical shape you are in and your age.

Does our cancer define us or do we define our cancer?

Dx 1/29/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 5, 2009 06:58AM barbe1958 wrote:

I took one day after surgery only as I couldn't afford to be off work. Wear a good bra to hold everything from moving. That helps alot, as well as what ikat said about the seatbelt. It's also tricky turning to check behind you when you back up while driving. Try it first easy, in case it pulls too much. You don't want to try it for the first time in traffic! Don't pick up anything heavier than 5 pounds and don't put your hands up over your head. Have someone else wash your hair for you if you can as the jiggling of your arms kind of pulls the incision. Be good to yourself and rest as you need to. Everyone takes different times. The anaesthetic is what is hardest to get over.  Nap when you can. Put an extra pillow in your bed beside the surgery side to prop your arm if you need to.

Good luck! 

Religion is for people who are afraid of hell, spirituality is for people who have already been there. (Lakota Nation)

Dx 12/10/2008

Apr 5, 2009 03:01PM idaho wrote:

I took a week.  It depends on what type of work you do also. No heavy lifting for 3 weeks is what I was told.  It is not a painful surgery, you just have to be careful afterward not to tear stitches.  Good luck to you!  Tami  (take a laxative right when you get home, the anesthesia binds you up!)

There's no place like home......There's no place like home

Dx 2/1/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 5, 2009 03:22PM bluedasher wrote:

I have a desk job and was ready to work two days after.

The whole world is a narrow bridge and the main thing is to not fear.

Dx 9/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage Ib, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Apr 5, 2009 09:00PM orange1 wrote:

My surgeon insisted I take at least 2 weeks (I only had 3 nodes removed.)  Then I ended up needing a re-excision for DCIS and so was off for 3 weeks.  I feel I could have gone back much sooner.  I was crawling up the walls by the end of it.

Dx 8/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Apr 6, 2009 06:07AM BessB wrote:

I was out for 1 week.  I was pretty sore for quite a while - I think because a someone bumped into me and hit my breast pretty hard - and I required a tight, support bra for sometime. Other than that, everything went pretty well.  Good luck to you:)

Apr 6, 2009 06:37AM barbe1958 wrote:

If you get nodes out at this point, you WILL need more time off. That is more sore as they have to dig around to find the sentinel node. It affects your arm and armpit and takes a bit of getting used to. I didn't get my nodes tested until I had my mastectomy after my lumpectomy which was after my core biopsy! 

Religion is for people who are afraid of hell, spirituality is for people who have already been there. (Lakota Nation)

Dx 12/10/2008

Apr 6, 2009 11:23AM jpann39 wrote:

I had lumpectomy w/sentinal node biopsy  on Thursday, took off Friday, had the weekend and was back to work at my desk job on Monday....yes the SNB is a little more uncomfortable but as someone ealier said if you can return to work at an easy pace you will be fine.

Best Wishes

Jule

'Gain strength by the positive and don't be sapped by the negative"

Dx 11/4/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 19, 2009 09:58AM angelaju wrote:

Thank you for all the replies! I will not need to get nodes, because they have done that when they installed the mediport for me. So I will just get the lump out this time.

My work is not the desk job. I need to do experiment, which requires me to walk around and may carry some heavy stuff. I will try to avoid the intensive movement during my work. I hope I can haddle my job after two weeks rest.

Angela

Jul 6, 2010 09:07PM maryvanessa1 wrote:

Hello everyone, I had a wide excision done on june 3,  the surgeon removed the size of 2 and a half golfballs,  i am healing well but my breast is still sensitive and  sore and it is now a month since the surgery.   my surgeon had wanted me to take another mammogram, which he said is routine on june 24, but i havent been able to go yet.  There is no way i can have them crush my breast right now.  On the outside ,  my breast  looks like its healing but the inside of it feels sore.  Anyone else still sore this long after the lumpectomy??

Thank u to all who reply. 

maryvanessa

Dx 4/14/2010, DCIS, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jul 7, 2010 05:33PM spendygirl wrote:

I thought I would be doing so much better at 4 weeks out than I am.  I had a huge hematoma that had to be drained, so that was temporary.  But I'm still really, really sore.  And I saw on my CT scan today that I have two seromas, doc said no drainage though (thank goodness).  My incision is perfect, it's the rest of my breast that feels bruised in some parts, hard as a rock in others - still some nerve pain and numbness. 

Anyone else taking a long time to heal from lumpectomy?  Thanks!

Dx 5/21/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 8, 2010 04:26PM Char2010 wrote:

I had a lumpectomy with SNB on March 10th.  It looks good on the outside and there is no pain but it feels like there is a cord inside where the scar is - the oncologist claim all is good (she would do an exam each time I had chemo).  She told me it can take up to a year to get back to "normal" - whatever normal is after breast surgery.

Dx 2/9/2010, ILC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 9, 2010 07:44AM ruthbru wrote:

What I was told was that the fat shifts around and fills in gaps for about a year. I found this to be true. After I first had my surgery; I was pretty lopsided, wore a partial breast form, couldn't wear my favorite swimsuit etc. then after time, I could toss the breast form, wear that swimsuit again Smile......so for sure give it a year and I think you will be pleased by how normal you look and feel. Good Luck! Ruth

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche

Dx 2/2007, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 10, 2010 11:42PM NYCntryGirl wrote:

I had my lumpectomy and axillary node dissection on June 28. How long do the steri strips normally stay on? Some of mine on the incision on my breast were coming loose so I thought I'd "help" them a bit, but I got to a point along my areole (most of the incision follows its contour) and it looked like it was still a flap and not stitched down. Needless to say, I freaked out and broke out the paper tape and taped everything back down.

Should I call my surgeon on Monday? I don't know what to do now...

~Carey

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

Dx 6/10/2010, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 3/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-