We are 144,786 members in 73 forums discussing 114,630 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: How long recovery from lumpectomy?

Topic: How long recovery from lumpectomy?

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Jun 27, 2009 04:50PM

Anxiousmama wrote:

Hi all, I'm having a lumpectomy on Tuesday and wondering if anyone knows how long it will be before I can drive, do normal stuff, etc. I know it depends on alot of factors, but on average, or if you had a lumpectomy and sentinal node biopsy how long did it take you before you were able to care for yourself and your kids?

Posts 1 - 18 (18 total)

Jun 27, 2009 06:25PM idaho wrote:

You should be fine the next day.  If you are taking pain killers of course you cannot drive, but as far as doing pretty much normal stuff I was able to the next day.  It really is not a painful surgery- the most tender spot was where I had my sentinal node biopsy- that stayed kinda sore for a few days.  I wish you well, and peace to you. Tami

There's no place like home......There's no place like home

Dx 2/1/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 27, 2009 07:19PM Anxiousmama wrote:

Thanks Tami ~ a friend just emailed me and said it took her mother 4-5 days to recover from hers and that seemed kinda long. I was planning on my mom and dad being here to help me out that day and the next and then be back on my own.

Stage 2A, ER/PR+, mama to two active boys

Jun 27, 2009 08:04PM melmedic06 wrote:

i would plan on being uncomfortable and needing help (especially with small children) for at least 3-4 days- the SNB can be quite painful and depending on how much tissue they remove during the procedure you can have alot of swelling and may need to keep the breast wrapped up tightly and you will not be using that arm to it's full capacity for at least a week if not longer- honestly if your parents can stay for 3 days- i would ask them to!!  you do not want to be driving even if you are not taking narcotics- the range of motion on the side of your surgery is diminished and if you needed to react quickly to a situation on the road you may not be able to- i'm not being drama about all of this i am simply sharing my experience with you hoping you won't push yourself too hard- i took two weeks off from work and was very glad i did- good luck in your journey and keep the faith ladies-

ILC    october 04   0.9cms   0/5 nodes negative lumpectomy radiation   left breast

DCIS  august 05  found on mammotome- had lumpectomy- surgical tissue benign- radiation

Jun 28, 2009 08:21AM Everlastpink wrote:

Everyone is different, of course.  I had a lumpectomy and SNB and it took me about a week to recover, but I had the mammosite radiation the following week and that added another week of recovery time, so for me it was about 2 weeks.  Also, hopefully you will not have to have any extra lymph nodes removed, but if they find involvement during the SNB, you might. In that case they may send you home with drains and you will really need help for a few days.  I would not be shy and ask your folks to stay the extra couple of days if they can.  This is the time to act like a princess and let everyone help you.  You might feel ok in a couple of days, but then again you might not.  I'd allow yourself about a week, truthfully, to be on the safe side.  Especially with the little ones.  I have an active 7 yo boy (6 at the time of surgery) and I REALLY needed help with him.

Katherine, lumpectomy, SNB, mammosite radiation, bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy, Aromasin

Dx 12/1/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 28, 2009 08:18PM Anxiousmama wrote:

Thanks all. I'll try to arrange extra help for the next week or so. I'd *prefer* that my mom and dad not stay too long as while it can be helpful it is also stressful to have them here. Right now I think I will ask them to stay thru Friday morning (it is a 6 hour drive for them to go home so I know they will want to leave in the morning rather than evening), then I have a friend who will take the boys (10 yo and 7 yo) that afternoon and hubby will be home over the weekend. I should be able to arrange some help on Monday if I need it but I guess it'd be good to plan ahead with next weekend being a holiday weekend and all..

My oldest son can be quite a bit of help if I ask him to do things for me, so that is good also. I have a meeting next Monday that I will need to either find a ride to or cancel so the range of motion issue is definitely something I need to think about as I'd involve driving on the highway. I guess I will see how many nodes are removed and decide after surgery what to do about that...

Jun 29, 2009 08:05AM Everlastpink wrote:

I hear you about parents and stress levels.  Sounds like you have a good plan though.  Sending you positive thoughts,  I hope everything will go really well.  We'll be thinking of you and let us know how it goes!

Katherine, lumpectomy, SNB, mammosite radiation, bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy, Aromasin

Jun 29, 2009 01:25PM eternaloptimism wrote:

I had a lumpectomy and SNB. I was back to work 4 days later. I did have a bit of discomfort for a week or two after, but was able to do "everyday" activities. I did lift things around the house, but should not have........I think this prolonged my recovery. I know you will want to get back to normal asap, but remember to just take it easy. Since your parents will be helping, let them take the kids out and let you rest. Take advantage of down time. You deserve it. Good luck and warm wishes are being sent your way.

Dx 4/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage Ib, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 30, 2009 03:46AM Bellz wrote:

the anesthesia made me feel very ill for about 4 days, but I didn't need Rx pain meds, I just took aleve. However, I have experienced alot of fatigue. I had one lumpectomy on June 2nd and another on June 22nd. Both times the same fatigue. I am able to do most things in moderation. Do take it as easy as you can while your parents are there. After they are gone let the little things go (the dust bunny's can wait). Take care of yourself and best of luck!

Bellz

Dx 5/21/2009, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Jul 1, 2009 05:12PM janey47 wrote:

I had surgery on June 12 and was back at work on the 16th, but I know that was in large part because I only had two nodes removed.  My breast is still as sore and swollen as hell, but I just ice it every night and that seems to help a lot.  My best to you, anxiousmama, I hope your experience is as smooth as mine was. 

multi-focal, tubular carcinoma

Dx 4/29/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage Ib, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 1, 2009 05:22PM HollyHopes wrote:

I didn't miss any work or have any problems at all...I was able to be fully functional the next day...hope yours goes well.

lumpectomy/dose dense AC &T/35 rads/7 boosts...treatment completed 8/31/07...reconstruction surgery 5/14/09 and 9/8/10!

Dx 2/7/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jul 1, 2009 07:01PM jancie wrote:

I had a lumpectomy on June 24th.  It has been one week.  I was able to drive after three days.  By the third day I only needed no more than 2 lortabs a day to help with the pain.  I iced up the area for the first 48 hours.  I did see some swelling when I finally got the courage to take off my bandage on the 4th day (Saturday) and my boob looked great because it was swollen, it looked nice and firm and perky!  I really like the looks of my surgery boob right now but the swelling is going down a little bit each day.

I am  not lifting anything with that surgical side of my body and am keeping my elbow close to my body when I do my 1.5 mile walk every night.  I am taking it fairly easy so that I will heal faster.  I don't work but if I did I could have gone back to a desk job 4 days after surgery.

Never Alone - My TaTa Sisters are always with me!

Dx 12/30/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 2, 2009 10:05PM Anxiousmama wrote:

Thanks all for the input. I'm home and feeling pretty good now. Surgery was Tuesday. I think I will be extra careful with that side of my body for a few days more - hard b/c it's the right side and I'm right haanded.  The actual cut on my boob doesn't bother me at all (though i can tell that it's going to be a bit smaller than the other one now), but the one under my arm pit for the node biopsy really does bother me. I'm just being cautious and hoping it feels better sooner rather than later.

Jul 3, 2009 07:42AM Everlastpink wrote:

Glad you are home. Feel better soon!  I think it is common for the SNB underarm incision to be more tender than the breast incision.  It was that way for me too.  Just rest and enjoy the 4th of July!

Jul 3, 2009 09:28PM awb wrote:

I took it easy for  a few days after my lumpectomy and was back to normal activities in less than a week.

Anne

"I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds the future"

Dx 9/5/2003, LCIS, Stage 0, 0/0 nodesSurgery 09/16/2003 Lumpectomy (Right)Hormonal Therapy 10/30/2003 TamoxifenSurgery 04/05/2005 Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)Hormonal Therapy 02/28/2009 Evista

Nov 9, 2010 04:51PM stellaratovsky wrote:

I am a mother of two who is in remission from stage 3a breast cancer. I was 37 when i got diagnosed with breast cancer.   It has been one year and one month since my surgery (Mastectomy), 9 Months Since Chemo and 6 months since radation.  I feel great.  I went for my mamogram and sonogram and it came back clean.  I just did my MRI and they found something in another breast but they are not sure what it is.  The doctor told me its probably nothing but because of my history they have to do a biopsy. I am so scared that I have to go through this again.  If anyone who has a similar story please shine some light.  I knowI I have to be positive buts its so hard.   

Nov 9, 2010 05:11PM YramAL wrote:

Stella-I do not share a similar story but you might get more responses to your question if you start a new topic.

Go to the "Forum Index". Find the forum that best fits your question-perhaps the "Not Diagnosed with a Recurrence or Metastis but Concerned" forum. Click on the forum name and it will give you an option to start and title your own thread.

I wish you peace of mind and hope that this new thing in your other breast really is nothing.

Mary

Mary-Oncotype Score 11

Dx 12/7/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 28, 2013 09:39PM 73Arizona wrote:

I had lumpectomy surgery on June 21 & came home same day they took out 2 knode & the 2cm lump from breast I'm still recovering at home it's been a wk but trying to find out how long is revovery

Jun 28, 2013 11:15PM, edited Jun 28, 2013 11:16PM by RMlulu

Hi 73Arizona - congrats on lx! Have you met with your BS since lx?
My experience was at 1 wk steri strips removed and at 2 wk stitches. I was given a booklet from BS on recovery and also read the Harvard Med School Book on recovery and exercise.
Baby my arm for weeks...nothing overhead...followed guideline.
Recovery...hum...I felt good right after lx, but cautious on arm. Swelling went down but still some under arm. I had a post lxMRI at 6 weeks which was not too uncomfortable, but I still find the area tender and do not sleep on that side or tummy. Rads made the skin look pink but 2 wks post rads everything looks good just tender.
Come join us in lumpectomy lounge.
Everyone is so different...where are incisions are, pain tolerance, bodies healing rates.
6wks post lumpectomy felt great looked great...but area takes a while to heal.
Don't rush, ask for exercises, and if your BC center provides exercise go...
Update your profile...
Here's to clear nodes and margins brave warrior!
Cindy

Dx 12/18/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 01/23/2013 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Radiation Therapy 03/14/2013 ExternalHormonal Therapy 06/01/2013 Aromasin