We are 144,985 members in 73 forums discussing 114,798 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: Lumpectomy - how long will it take to heal?

Topic: Lumpectomy - how long will it take to heal?

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Oct 8, 2009 12:16PM

Alaina86 wrote:

I have recently been diagnosed with a suspected fibroadenoma; but my family history suggests that the diagnosis could be incorrect. They told my mum, and aunt the same thing and both turned out to be, or else became, cancer.

I am set to have the lump removed in a month's time, but I am obviously worried that it could be more complictaed than the doctors are suggesting.

Could anyone tell me how long it took for their scars to heal and whether it was very painful (honestly). I had a holiday booked a few weeks after the operation will take place, but i don't want to go if i will be in pain.

Anyone's opinion/ personal experience, who has gone through surgery, would be greatly appreciated.

Laine.

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Oct 8, 2009 12:26PM PurpleMe wrote:

• Hi Laine.  
  • I had a lumpectomy on Nov 4, 2008 - day surgery.  To be honest I did not have much pain at all, more discomfort than anything else.  I was given a script for Tylenol 3 which I did have filled but never took.  

This is not to say you will or won't have any pain and suspect that some people do experience pain and some people don't.

For me the thing that was the most uncomfortable was the drainage tube I had and only uncomfortable at night because, of course, that's the side I generally sleep on.

I had a nurse come every day after surgery for a week to change the bandages and to check the drainage tube.  She took the tube out after about 5 days. I did take a couple of Tylenol 3's that day because the nurse suggested I do this about an hour before her visit so that it would dull the pain when she removed the tube.  It never hurt (guess the tylenol's did the job) just felt really weird coming out.

My thinking would be that if your holiday is a few weeks after the surgery you should be fine.  You might want to talk to your surgeon and doctor about this to be on the safe side.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. 

My life is an unfinished canvas waiting for the next brush stroke.

Dx 10/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 2/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 8, 2009 12:42PM awb wrote:

I had very little pain after my lumpectomy. (day surgery--I didn't have any drains, just wrapped in a snug chest binder that I was allowed to remove after 2 days and shower with just the steri strips remaining).) Just took it easy for a few days and was back to normal activites in less than a week's time. You should be fine to go on your vacation.

Anne

"I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds the future"

Dx 9/5/2003, LCIS, Stage 0, 0/0 nodesSurgery 09/16/2003 Lumpectomy (Right)Hormonal Therapy 10/30/2003 TamoxifenSurgery 04/05/2005 Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)Hormonal Therapy 02/28/2009 Evista

Oct 8, 2009 01:06PM Lindissima wrote:

Hi Lainie,

I understand from your post that you have a fibroadenoma, not a confirmed breast cancer.  In that case, I believe the surgery should be even easier than what I experienced.

I had a lumpectomy and a sentinel node biopsy  (SNB) for BC.  The only discomfort I experienced was due to the SNB where they removed two lymph nodes from under my arm.  However, i controlled that easily with an ice pack and one or two tylenol the first few nights. The actual breast was a bit sore for a few days. Will you be having SNB?

I was given general anesthesia, so when I woke up, I felt nauseous and was given meds which took care of it. There are milder forms of anesthesia used now, which are even easier. You could inquire as to which type you will get.

The morning after the lumpectomy I was raring to go, I went out for brunch with a friend, did some walking, but still followed the precautions the nurse gave me like not raising my arm over my head or carrying anything heavy.

During the healing process in the weeks after lumpectomy, it is normal to feel twinges of sensation in your breast as the tissues repair themselves.  This is a good thing, and not painful.

All the women I polled had no issues with their lumpectomies. Though I am sure there are some exceptions,  I truly hope you have a swift and easy recovery!  And good for you for being proactive and removing the lump.. 

I think you will be fine for a vacation.  Check with your surgeon, but from my experience, a vacation would have been great.  There are precautions you should follow like not carry anything over a certain number of pounds on the affected side etc.Again, you surgeon or nurse will fill you in. 

I think you will feel great after the surgery is over.  Let us know how it goes.  Best wishes.

Dx 1/5/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 8, 2009 02:40PM Alaina86 wrote:

Thank you everyone. Your replies really help; it's nice to know someone else has felt the same.

Best wishes to you all xx

Oct 9, 2009 02:45PM shelleyr25 wrote:

I am now almost 4 weeks post-lumpectomy and if anyone was offering me a vacation I would be packing my bags!! (and having my hubby carry them of course)

Don't worry, you will be fine!!

~Shelley~ Currently on Arimidex and Zometa

Dx 8/6/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-