We are 145,000 members in 73 forums discussing 114,819 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: Diep surgery success rate

Topic: Diep surgery success rate

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Feb 2, 2010 10:04AM

mollie07 wrote:

I am a breast cancer survivor or 20 years and had implants put in at the time of surgery. It is now time to replace them and I am considering the Diep surgery.  I am 54 years old and want to make sure this is the last time I need to have them replaced so I can go forward with life. Please advise, if anyone has had this procedure, complications, suggestions, how to locate a good surgeon that truly has had a success rate with this procedure, etc. Thank you. M

Posts 1 - 10 (10 total)

Feb 2, 2010 10:11AM jacee wrote:

Mollie...I am consulting with Dr. Marga Massey in New Orleans for DIEP after I complete rads in March. She operates out of New Orleans, Salt Lake City, and Charleston. She is amazing.

website ...   www.drmarga.com

Joni

My body has cancer, my spirit does not!

Dx 4/27/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 1, 3/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 05/05/2009 Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)Surgery 06/06/2009 Mastectomy (Right); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Right)Chemotherapy 07/06/2009 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolHormonal Therapy 01/04/2010 FemaraRadiation Therapy 02/12/2010 ExternalSurgery 09/09/2010 Prophylactic Mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction: DIEP flap (Both)Surgery 10/09/2011 Reconstruction: Nipple reconstruction (Both)

Feb 2, 2010 12:31PM dlb823 wrote:

Hi, Mollie ~  I had my Diep @ UCLA, and if there's an NCI-designated cancer center in your area, you might start there, as those plastic/vascular surgeons are usually doing the most current reconstructive procedures.   http://cancercenters.cancer.gov/cancer_centers/map-cancer-centers.html

Stay away from anyone who hasn't done hundreds of them.  Ask what their success rate is.  It should very high.  I think my plastic surgeon's was 99%.  And, as importantly, ask to see photos of their work.  A high success rate is important to your health, but experience and an artistic eye & hand are equally as important to the aesthetic outcome.    

Good luck!   Deanna

"The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears" Native American proverb

Dx 2/1/2008, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 1/3/2014, Stage IV

Feb 2, 2010 01:13PM starwatcher wrote:

www.diepbreastreconstruction.org is an excellent site to start with.   Docs from each state listed.  Use this to start research on the docs listed.  Agree you want this done only by someone who has been trained by the best and does this all the time.  Had bilaterial diep Jan 15th and extremely pleased---can't believe I have boobs from belly fat.  Most of the docs have web sites with pictures, but they have pics in office.  Good luck!!!!!
Dx 7/2/2008, IDC, Stage IIb, Grade 2, 1/16 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Feb 2, 2010 03:10PM mollie07 wrote:

Hi Jaycee

I did have the opportunity to go to Dr. Margo web page and noticed she does do surgery in Chicago which is about a 3 hour drive for me. I am located in the Quad Cities area of Iowa. So on the Iowa/Ilinois boarder. Her credentials are outstanding, but I noticed she is not available for post op care as she travels to several states. Was this an issue for you?  I think it would be important for her to do the follow up just in case you needed her attention on anything, but she does have great credentials, I will add her to my list as I do my research.  If anyone knows of a surgeon in MN, IA or IL those locations would be ideal or any surgeon that would not be would also be helpful?

Feb 2, 2010 03:12PM mollie07 wrote:

Thank you for sharing. Finding a good surgeon as you know is critical and your suggestions are welcomed.

Feb 2, 2010 03:13PM mollie07 wrote:

Perfect. I  have a call into the Iowa location now. They are part of the University of Iowa and I hope to get a referral from them. Nice place to start.

Feb 2, 2010 05:18PM jacee wrote:

Mollie,

I know after surgery with Dr. Marga, she wants you to stay in the area for  about 4-5 days I think, maybe even a week. Then she requires you to have a "helper Dr." when you get home, that you can see to remove drains, or consult with her about any concerns. When I filled out my paperwork to send to her office, I had to put a Dr's name down that she could contact. I talked to my breast surgeon and she said she'd be glad to play that role. I know Dr. Marga is available by phone if anything is needed. Most of the DIEP's have 2 or 3 stages, so alot of correction and cosmetic work is done during the 2nd stage when you return...usually about 3 months after the 1st surgery.

My body has cancer, my spirit does not!

Dx 4/27/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 1, 3/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 05/05/2009 Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)Surgery 06/06/2009 Mastectomy (Right); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Right)Chemotherapy 07/06/2009 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolHormonal Therapy 01/04/2010 FemaraRadiation Therapy 02/12/2010 ExternalSurgery 09/09/2010 Prophylactic Mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction: DIEP flap (Both)Surgery 10/09/2011 Reconstruction: Nipple reconstruction (Both)

Feb 2, 2010 06:53PM NST40 wrote:

Mollie

I had a Free Tram Flap done last Sept. by Dr. Luong in Minnesota (Midwest Plastic Surgery) www.midwestplasticsurgery.net.  She did a fabulous job.  She does do DIEP.  I couldn't have the DIEP due to smaller blood vessels.    I know she does have out of state patients, I live here so I do not know how it works.  I grew up in the Quad City area.  Minneapolis is about 5 1/2-6 hour drive.  She is very easy to talk with and I am very happy with the results.  I know she has a waiting list, I had to wait 5 months.  Good Luck.

Nancy

Dx 3/26/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 2, 2010 07:17PM, edited Feb 2, 2010 07:17PM by 2z54

Hi Mollie,

It seems like you may have already identified a great DIEP surgeon in Dr. Marga. But I wanted to chime in to let you know that I'm 55 and last week had Stage 2 DIEP revisions. I had an appt. with my PS today and we're both thrilled with the results. I told her that even without such a good cosmetic outcome, I think DIEP is/was the way to go - and she agrees. So, I wish you luck on your DIEP adventure.  It's definitely worth the extra research and trouble!

Sue

Dx 7/23/2008, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Feb 7, 2010 07:21PM kcshreve wrote:

I am 3 wks post DIEP.  i will agree that it's a great way to go.  Usually a bilateral DIEP takes a team of 2 doctors working together, and that second doctor may be more local.  Mostly, once the surgery is finished, it is the nursing staff who are taking care of the patient, so that it is the team which needs to be attentive and excellent.  Your concerns are valid, and Dr Massey shojld have a great answer which can give you peace. It is peace which we need during this process, for sure. - Christine

Bilat NS DIEP Jan 2010, LE Mar 2010

Dx 12/2009, DCIS, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+