We are 144,840 members in 73 forums discussing 114,674 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: Sloshing Sound after Lumpectomy

Topic: Sloshing Sound after Lumpectomy

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: May 22, 2010 09:04PM

JudyAnnW wrote:

Hello Everyone -

I had a lumpectomy on May 13.  The doctor feels he has removed all of the cancer with

clear margins but I am waiting for the pathology report.  I am curious if anyone has heard

the sloshing sound in he breast where fluid has filled the breast where tissue once was.

The doctor tells me this is normal and the fluid will be absorbed by the body eventually.

I just had to share with everyone what a crepy feeling it is to hear this sound !  Was

wondering if anyone who has heard this can share how long it lasted for them.  And, if

they agree it is a pretty weird sound to come out of your breast.

Many thanks and best wishes to everyone.

Judy  

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

May 22, 2010 09:09PM PiscesMoon wrote:

hi judy

i didn't have a lumpectomy but a mastectomy and i can relate to the sloshing sound.  lol  i had my surgery in feb and have had to go back every two or three weeks since my drains were removed to have the fluid asperated.  it doesn't hurt or anything but i tell them all the time when i call that i have a waterbed on my chest. ;-)  i guess it's different with a lumpetcomy in that the surgeon will allow the fluid to be absorbed?  anyway i wish you luck in your recovery!

~M

DX: 11/13/09; IDC, 3.5 cm, Stage 2, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+++ ~mellow greetings, citizen...what seems to be your boggle?~

May 22, 2010 11:53PM, edited May 23, 2010 12:05AM by jan-m

A friend of mine had a sloshy breast after her lumpectomy & it just got absorbed by her body.  I had fluid build up (quite alot) after my mastectomy & alnd drains were removed but my surgeon wouldn't aspirate it.. said it was best to let my body absorb by itself.  3 weeks later the fluid (seroma) is almost gone :)

Wishing you a speedy absorbtion & recovery!

jan

IDC, ILC, DCIS 1.9cm & 3.8cm (larger one didn't show on mammo) Lumpectomy March 17th. Apr, 21st Unilateral Mastectomy + Axillery node dissection

Dx 2/23/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 2, 1/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 22, 2010 11:56PM PT6 wrote:

After my mastectomy not only did I have sloshing, you could see waves going across my chest. Very weird. My drains fell out early, so I had a lot of fluid build up which had to be aspirated. Eventually my body absorbed the fluid.

~P

Dx 4/10/2009, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 23, 2010 06:30AM NativeMainer wrote:

I had the sloshing for about a year, it never reabsorbed.  A year after surgery and rads it got infected, and had to be drained every couple weeks for months, then opened up surgically, then wouldn't heal due to radiation damage, so I finally had a mastectomy to stop the pain and to not have to deal with open holes in my breast.  Keep a close eye on it. If you seen ANY pinkness, redness, warmth or if you develop any amount of fever at all have the area looked at right away and get on antibiotics ASAP, especially after radiation.  I was told this is a "common" complication.  The BS said it's common complication of radiation, the rad onc said it's a common complication of lumpectomy (yes even a year after both).

dx 3/07, Stage 2, Grade 2 IDC, 2.8cm, ER+PR+, Her2(-), SN-, lumpectomy & rads, mastectomy 8/15/08, right prophy mast and bilateral DIEP recon 6/21/10

Dx 3/9/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 23, 2010 07:00AM gsg wrote:

I haven't heard the sloshing, but I do have the fluid...it's called a seroma.  My surgery was in Sept '06, the seroma suddenly appeared the following January...it was drained once and immediately refilled and it's still there 3 1/2 years later.  Since it doesn't hurt, I'm not going to have it drained again.  Have no idea why the fluid isn't reabsorbing, but it kind of fills the dent in from the lumpectomy so I'm okay with it being there.

Pardon me if I repeat myself. Can't remember jack.

Dx 3/2006, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 23, 2010 07:11AM geebung wrote:

In 2007 I had a lumpectomy towards the end of March and a mastectomy on the 20th April. During the week after the lumpectomy, I developed a very "sloshy" breast. My surgeon told me it would reabsorb. I suppose it lasted for at least a couple of weeks and the sloshing had gone by the time I had the mastectomy.

Dx 2/26/2007, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+

Jun 8, 2010 01:06AM chargergrl55 wrote:

i just had lumpectomy surgury two weeks ago May 24th, and by thursday I heard the sloshing it freaked me out and I read online that it was normal. And that is how the body heals itself. It is now June 7 and I do not hear the sloshing anymore the doctor was happy to hear that I heard that and now I don't hear it but I do feel the side of my breast getting hard where it was numb before. It is still sore in the area and unver my arm.

stage 1 with negative in the lymph nodes.

Next step is radiation...

Dx 5/13/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage I, 0/1 nodes