We are 144,988 members in 73 forums discussing 114,800 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: Swelling/Bleeding after Lumpectomy

Topic: Swelling/Bleeding after Lumpectomy

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Sep 29, 2010 04:03AM

hmillar wrote:

I've scanned all the topics in this forum, and can't quite find the answer to my problem: I had a lumpectomy three weeks ago. Thought I was fine after two weeks, started brisks walks, normal activities. Within a day, my breast was swollen like a soccer ball, and drops of blood were oozing form incision. Went into the cliinic. BS said to wrap myself in an Ace bandage for three days and rest. So I did that for four days, and took the Ace off today, but within a few hours, more pain and swelling. Is this something that just takes time, or should I go back to the BS? Any one had this?

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Sep 29, 2010 09:44AM JannyM wrote:

So sorry for all your problems.  I would definitely go back to see your BS.  It took me soooooooo long to recover from my lumpectomy because of some sort of infection that settled in bringing me low grade fevers for several weeks.  I had to go into BS a minimum of 2 times a week so he could asspirate the breast (draw excess blood and fluids out via syringe.)  He said he had never had this happen before ... but it lasted well past 30 days.  The drains tubes were clogged on day #2 ... so perhaps that was the culprit; but I would definitely get back in as soon as you can.  I hope it all clears up quickly and I wish you the best :)

Jan at www.quiltingindavie.blogspot.com

Dx IDC, Stage IV, Grade 2, 3/6 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Sep 29, 2010 09:45AM JannyM wrote:

So sorry for all your problems.  I would definitely go back to see your BS.  It took me soooooooo long to recover from my lumpectomy because of some sort of infection that settled in bringing me low grade fevers for several weeks.  I had to go into BS a minimum of 2 times a week so he could asspirate the breast (draw excess blood and fluids out via syringe.)  He said he had never had this happen before ... but it lasted well past 30 days.  The drains tubes were clogged on day #2 ... so perhaps that was the culprit; but I would definitely get back in as soon as you can.  I hope it all clears up quickly and I wish you the best :)

Sep 29, 2010 09:46AM JannyM wrote:

Ooooooops!

Sep 29, 2010 06:34PM spendygirl wrote:

I had a similar situation, but as soon as the BS took one look at me, he got out the ultrasound machine and a BIG needle and drained 190 cc of blood.  It felt better after that and a few weeks later I had a second, much smaller draining performed.  I would definitely have it looked at again.

Take care, Tracye

Dx 5/21/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 29, 2010 06:49PM Cowgirl13 wrote:

Heather, go to the doctor right away. somethings not right.  Good luck.  check in and let us know how its going.

BTW I live in SF too.  Received my treatment at CPMC.  can't say enough about the place.  

Liz 

Dx 5/28/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Sep 30, 2010 07:57PM Jellydonut wrote:

Agree with everyone else, it's wise to see your BS, or go to the ER to get thoroughly checked.

Each of us heals differently thus it could turn out to be nothing out of the ordinary, but does warrant further checking to be sure.

Somewhat related:  Many, many years ago, when I had a full hysterectomy, I stayed in the hospital for ten days and bleed vaginally for the entire time.  Was sent home (finally) but, it got worse.....the bleeding continued for over six weeks!!  Everyone and their dog was telling me it was abnormal and something sinister was going on.  The surgeon said the bleeding will stop at some point.  It did, six weeks later.....and I never had any subsequent problems.....been well ever since.

It's still odd to me though as to how I was able to bleed like that without ovaries, Fallopian tubes and a uterus.....but sometimes "odd happens." Laughing

Let us know what transpires.

Jelly

Dx 3/2002, IDC, Stage IV, 3/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 7, 2010 11:19PM chiefswife wrote:

I too have a lot of swelling, it's almost like I have a third boob under my armpit. I don't get to see my surgeon until the 21st, geez I even thought about going to the er but I'm not sure if I should just wait.

Dx 5/14/2010, ILC, 4cm, Stage IIIb, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-