We are 144,790 members in 73 forums discussing 114,635 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: Need advise-Drainage won't stop docs want to do a masectomy

Topic: Need advise-Drainage won't stop docs want to do a masectomy

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Oct 14, 2010 04:50PM, edited Oct 14, 2010 05:39PM by Barbeh

Barbeh wrote:

My mom had a lumpectomy about 3 weeks ago. The lump was was about 7cm, and they removed 26 lymph-nodes, and all were cancerous. She ended up with an infection after the surgery, and was put on antibiotics. The drain tube was removed about week and half ago, however, the drainage is still accumulating, and the doctor has had to go back in 2 or 3 times now to remove mostly blood and water.

Initially, the lump was fairly small, but in the two weeks leading up to the surgery, the lump grew 2-3 times in size.

Question-advise : the doc now wants to remove the whole breast. Thinks the cancer is aggressive, and causing or preventing the tissues from healing, even though a PET scan was done just a few days ago, and showed no cancer on the same side where the surgery was done. However,  there is a lymph node on the other side that is showing up on the PET scan. She can't start radiation until the drainage problem clears up.

The doc said this was really rare, and had not seen this before.My concern is that something else could be causing the tissues not to heal, and even if the docs remove the breast, what is the likelihood that the problem will still exist or she'll have even more problems ?

Log in to post a reply

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Log in to post a reply

Oct 14, 2010 05:36PM Jellydonut wrote:

You're a very sweet daughter to come here and seek information for your mom.

It's  a good idea to seek a second surgical opinion, and perhaps even a third one (if you can get an appointment with a new surgeon(s) within a reasonably short time) to provide more clarity in which to make the best decision.

The mastectomy sounds reasonable to me, given the situation -- but I am not a doctor.

Hope your mom's infection clears soon, freeing her for radiation.  Sorry you're both dealing with this devil.

Godspeed.

Jelly

Dx 3/2002, IDC, Stage IV, 3/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

Oct 14, 2010 05:47PM jorainis wrote:

Hi I was having problems with fluid amassing after my lumpectemy and node dissection. It felt like I was had a softball in my arm pit. I went to an acupuncturist and she cleared it up. Good luck!

Log in to post a reply

Oct 14, 2010 05:50PM Barbeh wrote:

Thanks Jelly 

I agree with you. At this point though, the doctor has put her on some stonger antibiotics. My mom goes back to the doc this Monday. If there is no improvement, the surgery will get scheduled pretty quickly. She is having a tough time, and I think she just wants to get it over with.