We are 144,840 members in 73 forums discussing 114,674 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: Pain 4 months after lumpectomy

Topic: Pain 4 months after lumpectomy

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Feb 19, 2011 09:38AM

kita wrote:

It's been about 4 months since my lumpectomy. I had 2 cm tumor removed and another surgery to clear the margins 4 days later when the tumor was found to be cancerous. I didn't think the pain was very bad after surgery, but it never completely went away. I started taxol treatments a week after surgery so I understand that the healing process would take longer. However, it's been 4 months since surgery and I still have pain at the surgery site. I have fluid build up and bruised scar tissue that came up on the ultrasound and MRI I had done a couple months ago. Just recently the pain seems to be getting stronger although the surgery site still feels the same as it did a few months ago. Has anyone else had lingering pain and soreness this long after lumpectomy? I'm so tires of sleeping in certain positions and adjusting my bras which rub right o n the site.

Posts 1 (1 total)

Feb 19, 2011 12:38PM JBinOK wrote:

Hello kita,

I still had tremendous tenderness and pain on my lumpectomy side 12 months after my surgery; our bodies all heal differently, so it is impossible to know for sure how our tissue will respond.

12 months after my lumpectomy I had a recurrence in the same breast, so I ultimately ended up with a double mastectomy.  

You had a double dose of surgery with your re-excision, so double the scar tissue.  Only time will tell how much the pain will improve.  But please remember:  you must get MRIs in the future on the surgical side.  Mammos cannot see through scar tissue, so residual or recurrent disease is often missed.