We are 145,000 members in 73 forums discussing 114,820 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: ? about steri-strips

Topic: ? about steri-strips

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Mar 3, 2011 09:21PM

BioAdoptMom3 wrote:

I had 2 lumpectomies (one on each side) along with some lymph node removal on the cancerous side.  They told me to leave the steri-strips on for about 2 weeks.  Well, its been 8 days and both lumpectomy areas are starting to itch.  The strips over the lymph node site are starting to feel kind of sticky and uncomfortable.  I was going to call the doctor today, but I forgot.  Do you all think it might be OK to remove them either now, or maybe by the weekend?  It's getting pretty uncomfortable.

Thanks!

Nancy

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Mar 3, 2011 09:32PM lago wrote:

Itching sounds like they are healing. You should follow the instructions you were given. You don't have stitches. The steri-strips hold the incision together. You need to give it time to heal. Steri strips should start to come off by themselves after the 2 weeks.

If the incision opens you open yourself up to infections and maybe even more complications. If it's that uncomfortable call tomorrow.

DONE!! alturl.com/3o9ni • Tattoos 2.7.2012 • Nipples 10.6.2011 • Exchange 6.24.2011 • Chemo 1.18. 2011 • BMX 8.31.2010

Dx 7/13/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 0/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Mar 3, 2011 10:23PM jancie wrote:

Lago is correct.  Keep them on - do not remove them.  They will come off by themselves and if they don't then wait for the doctor to remove them.

I had steri-strips on my breast after lumpectomy.  Even though I showered regularly they stayed on which is exactly what is supposed to happen.  12 days later I went to the doctor and he removed them.  They do keep the incision nice and tight and closed up - my stitches were on the inside of me (dissolvable ones) and so it was really important those strips stayed on as long as possible before my follow up appt.

The itching - that is because your incision is healing.  It is like having a scab on your knee - when your skin starts to heal underneath the scab - the scab starts itching like crazy and you want to peel it off so badly knowing it will hurt.  Best to wait until the scab starts to peel off on the edges before you go yank it!

Never Alone - My TaTa Sisters are always with me!

Dx 12/30/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 3, 2011 10:31PM makingway wrote:

I am allergic to the adhesive in the steri strips. I didn't realize this until after my 2nd biopsy. It was as if the adhesive was an acid. It dissolved some of my skin and turned it red. I believe it's fairly common occurance. I have a friend who is also allergic to the adhesive. We have to ask for paper tape to be used instead.

Visit my website for helpful tips when using cold caps:penguincoldcap.wix.com/help

Dx 3/2/2009, ILC, 4cm, Stage IIb, Grade 2, 1/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 6, 2011 12:04PM marticcrn wrote:

Paper tape's good - make sure they fold over an edge so you don't have to pick at it to get it off, but IMHO, silk tape is the best!  Every hospital has it - just ask.