We are 144,874 members in 73 forums discussing 114,700 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: Help - Bright Yellow Skin!!!!!

Topic: Help - Bright Yellow Skin!!!!!

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Apr 3, 2011 09:04AM

A_pallens wrote:

I had skin sparing bilateral MX with immediate reconstruction (silicone implants) on 3/28 and while my incisions don't appear infected or overly red, the skin on both breasts has patches of VERY bright yellow, mixed with some purpley bruise coloring.  The bright yellow areas look like where they must have scraped the inside of the skin.  HELP!!!  What does this mean????  I am freaking out.  It's Sunday so I don't really want to page my surgeon and I do have a follow-up with the PS on Tuesday.

Posts 1 - 21 (21 total)

Apr 3, 2011 09:28AM barbe1958 wrote:

The yellow could be bruising or it could be the special stuff they paint on your skin before surgery. Don't panic!!! Call the local ER if you're still not sure. But try to cleanse an area gently to see if some of the orange stuff comes off (sorry, for the life of me I can't think of what it's called???)

I wanted to answer fast as you seemed frightened. Good luck!

Religion is for people who are afraid of hell, spirituality is for people who have already been there. (Lakota Nation)

Dx 12/10/2008

Apr 3, 2011 09:33AM A_pallens wrote:

barbe1958 - Thank you so much for responding!!  I am frightened - thinking that maybe the skin is dying??  It isn't a topical solution and has really only "developed" in the last day or so.  I looks much worse (brighter yellow) than it did yesterday when I was thinking normal bruising. 

BMX & SNB on 3/28/11. Original diagnosis was multifocal DCIS. MX showed IDC Grade 2, Stage T1aNOMX found in left breast pathology.

Dx 2/3/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Apr 3, 2011 09:47AM Wabbit wrote:

I had quite a bit of bruising after my surgery and I do remember large patches of it turning yellow before it went away.

I don't remember about the getting 'brighter' part ... it's been several years ago now.  Is it maybe getting lighter?

If it is really making you worry maybe you could go to the emergency room or an urgent care center and have somebody take a quick look at it?  There is enough to deal with going through all this without having to sit around and worry about something too.    (((hugs)))

Dx 3/2006, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 3, 2011 09:51AM She wrote:

If your MX was 3/28 it is most likely bruising.  My skin was yellow for weeks.  However, to be prudent you should call the ER where you had the surgery.  Did they give you contact info for the surgeon on call in case of complications or concerns?  I had immediate DIEP so they provided me with direct line to the PS on call, but I don't know that all hospitals do this.  You could also try calling your surgeon, they usually have an answering service that take calls on weekends.  It's also a good idea to continue to keep an eye on the incisions for redness and heat.

Apr 3, 2011 11:18AM A_pallens wrote:

Thanks gals - I feel a little better.  I'll probably wait until tomorrow to call the Dr.  Everything else looks "normal" but that technicolor yellow is really freaky.

BMX & SNB on 3/28/11. Original diagnosis was multifocal DCIS. MX showed IDC Grade 2, Stage T1aNOMX found in left breast pathology.

Apr 3, 2011 12:17PM soccermomofthree wrote:

The stuff they clean or prep with I believe is yellow.  I was yellow also.  Bruising can also be very yellow.  Also keep in mind bruises can migrate down with time because of gravity...I also had a skin sparing and they do scrape the inside of your skin.  I think that's where so much of the pain comes from.  I don't think yellow is tissue death.  If you saw black appearing that could be a problem.  I kept an eye on my nipples for any sort of black.  I am happy to say they made it :) You just had this surgery your body is working hard to heal. Really good to hear you don't have any angry red spots also!  Take care!

Apr 3, 2011 06:11PM barbe1958 wrote:

It's Betadine that I'm trying to think of. It comes out orange, but stains the skin yellow. Glad you're feeling better. You'll be having someone looking at it in a couple of days...let us know.

Religion is for people who are afraid of hell, spirituality is for people who have already been there. (Lakota Nation)

Dx 12/10/2008

Apr 3, 2011 07:48PM A_pallens wrote:

Thanks for all the replies!  I feel better just knowing I'm not out on this limb alone.  The antiseptic they used was clear so I doubt it's a stain - it looks like fat right under the skin but it's so damn bright I've never seen anything like it.  I'm going to call the dr. in the am and will update...

Apr 3, 2011 07:58PM jan508 wrote:

Yellow brusing is a good sign of healing.  If concerned check with your doctor.

Jan

Dx 8/6/2010, ILC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 5, 2011 05:09PM A_pallens wrote:

OK - stupid me in a freak-out for nothing - LOL!  I saw the PS today and she said I was healing great.  The bright yellow is just bruising.  Even though it was bright citrus yellow color!  What a relief and I'm feeling silly now but thanks for everyone who responded.  It did make me less worried.  :-)

Apr 5, 2011 05:14PM NatureGrrl wrote:

Never feel silly.  Until we go through it, we don't know what's normal and what isn't, and it's better to err on the side of caution.  I was told by my physician to call any time with any concern, and although I didn't often call after hours, I figured it was way better than either worrying or paying for a trip to the ER or urgent care if the latter weren't called for.  Or not following up on something that turned out to be a problem.  I'm glad it's all fine, and glad you got hold of your PS.  Now you can relax!

Carol, living out loud! http://fire-of-our-hope.blogspot.com/

Dx 4/2009, IDC, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/17 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Apr 5, 2011 05:18PM, edited Apr 5, 2011 05:19PM by AnnNYC

A_pallens, so glad to hear everything's good!  But don't say it was silly!  Most of us are seeing this stuff for the first time when we go through it, and bad things can happen in a hurry, and it's a zillion times better to be safe than sorry -- "silly" wouldn't begin to describe the feeling if any of us delayed getting attention for something that turned out to be bad -- you know?  (((((Hugs)))))

P.S. "waving at NatureGrrl" Smile (crosspost!)

Dx 3/9/2007, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 5, 2011 05:27PM barbe1958 wrote:

Don't feel silly. You just taught a LOT of us something new. And years from now someone will search yellow skin on this site and find your post and learn too. You done good!  Laughing

Dx 12/10/2008

Apr 5, 2011 05:30PM apple wrote:

i think it may be a normal part of the bruising going away.  I had a huge bruise once that turned all sorts of colors as it dissapated. (sp?)  .. including yellow.  Of course, you can always call a nurse of your doc's office.

peace and love, apple - ..... Mary Magdalen

Dx 4/10/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/9 nodes, mets, ER+, HER2+

Apr 5, 2011 06:13PM A_pallens wrote:

Thanks again ladies and many hugs to all!!!

Apr 6, 2011 01:40PM soccermomofthree wrote:

Glad your all good!!!

Jun 21, 2011 05:54PM Amyrich wrote:

barbe1958--i am laughing because you put someone will search "something yellow" and get pulled to this topic! that is me!

i had a bmx 4/21/11, and my exchange was 6/15/11...i have been worried, because 5 days after surgery, i started seeing the yellow coloring on the bottom half of both breasts!! i hate to call the dr. over small issues, since i feel great!

thank you all for sharing your experiences! i see my PS tomorrow for post-op, at least i can sleep well knowing it shouldn't be anything serious!

Dx 4/4/2011, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR-

Jun 21, 2011 06:42PM A_pallens wrote:

@ Amyrich

So glad this was helpful for you!  I'd forgotten about it but just received a notification that someone had posted so I checked.  I did heal up pretty well - and the freaky brilliant lemon yellow color faded to a more normal bruising before finally going away all together.  I'm sorry you had to go through this as so many of us have.  Heal well!!!

Jun 21, 2011 08:12PM vlnrph wrote:

I have fair skin and always bruise purple/yellow - thought it was an especially appropriate color scheme for Easter earlier this year...

IDC too! R MX/DIEP 4-26-11; ALND 5-13-11 d/t micromets, TC X 4 completed 8-10-11; on tamoxifen; lymphedema as of 9-18-11; switch to letrozole 3-15-14

Dx 3/7/2011, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 1/25 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 21, 2011 08:41PM, edited Jun 21, 2011 08:42PM by cycle-path

My skin is very pale and for me, bruises start out purple, then they turn blue. After that it's green, then yellow. The colors are quite bright and often different places are different shades. I think they can be rather festive but my bruises gross out the rest of the family.

"Why would you want to show me THAT?"

I am an Uppity Woman. Don't like my posts? Put me on IGNORE.

Dx 12/10/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+

Jun 22, 2011 12:02PM barbe1958 wrote:

HAHAHAHA glad the search engine worked!!!

My biopy bruise was the bottom half of my breast. It was BLACK, faded to BLUE, faded to shades of yellow and green and then we cut it OFF!!!! hehehehehehehee, thought I was going to say something else, didn't you???

It was truly a spectacular bruise!! I showed a couple of the guys at work, but you know guys can't take it and they gag and turn their heads. Why did I show them? To make it real to them. Then when my breasts were taken it put it all into perspective for them. One of them actually touched my lump. He was in total wonderment that he was 'touching cancer'.

Dx 12/10/2008