We are 144,840 members in 73 forums discussing 114,674 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: Post-BMX Swelling?

Topic: Post-BMX Swelling?

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Oct 7, 2011 07:58PM

SAOIsenberg wrote:

Hi everyone - I'm almost 3 weeks post BMX. Had immediate reconstruction with saline implants and Alloderm. All went smoothly w/surgery - had some post-op hiccups but all my drains were out w/i 10 days of surgery and I was healing great as of my last f/u with PS (last week). 

For the last 2 days, though, I've had swelling in the area under my arms where my bra hits - sort of feel like there is a wide theraband stretched around this area. A lot of pressure, and while you can see some swelling, it's not in pockets or extreme. Worse at night.

When i called my PS yesterday, her NP said that it sounded normal, that I'd probably overdone it on Wed. - I have been playing it SO safe w/activity - the only thing I can think of that I did differently is that I did bend more at the waist to pick stuff up on Wed. Not much, nothing heavy at all. 

I am, of course, worried about truncal LE. It was better this a.m., but got steadily worse as the day went on. I'm in bed upright now, without my bra on b/c it's too uncomfortable. Next f/u w/PS is next Wed. I decided not to call again this a.m. b/c it was so improved.

Anyone have a similar experience or have insight?

Thanks so much!

Sarah 

Posts 1 - 10 (10 total)

Oct 9, 2011 09:48PM Jellydonut wrote:

Hi Sarah,

Sorry you're here Cry.

Hope you're feeling much better and all is well by now, but if not you must see your surgeon and have him/her check your arm.  It could be absolutely nothing, or it could be something like a seroma, or something else.  The only way to be sure is to have the doctor look at it and determine what is causing the swelling and discomfort.

Hoping it's all good news!

Jelly

Dx 3/2002, IDC, Stage IV, 3/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 9, 2011 10:03PM mrsnjband wrote:

It's probably a little soon to worry about LE. You might try putting some frozen peas in the area, try 15 minutes on & 15 off. I just had bi-later DIEP & I know am still having some swelling from surgery.  If it persist then I would get a referral to an LE therapist.  Hope things get better for you. NJ

Norma June, Bi-lateral MX 2008, Bi-lateral DIEP 2011

Dx 1/10/2008, IBC, <1cm, Stage IIIb, ER-/PR-, HER2-Chemotherapy 01/25/2008 Adriamycin, CytoxanChemotherapy 03/10/2008 TaxolChemotherapy 05/29/2008 TaxotereSurgery 07/10/2008 Mastectomy (Right); Lymph Node Removal (Right); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Left)Radiation Therapy 08/11/2008 ExternalSurgery 08/15/2011 Reconstruction: DIEP flap (Right)Surgery 08/15/2011 Reconstruction: DIEP flap (Left)Surgery 12/12/2011 Reconstruction (Left)

Oct 10, 2011 07:48PM SAOIsenberg wrote:

Thanks ladies - still swollen, but it is moving around a bit, which is comforting from a LE standpoint. I connected w/a LE therapist I'd seen back when first dx'd in '01, and am calling her office for an appt. tomorrow. She said that while some post-op swelling is normal, many MDs and NPs dismiss what might turn into an issue, so best to be evaluated - and the drainage massage can help just the regular post-op swelling, too. Seeing PS for a f/u Wed. so lots of eyes will be on this in the coming week. Feeling relieved about that.

Sarah 

Second round w/BC in 10 years. 6/6/11 dx'd right side DCIS, grade 1, ER/PR+: skin/nipple-sparing BMX, immediate reconstruction w/saline implants+Alloderm 9/19/11.

Dx 6/6/2011, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+

Oct 10, 2011 08:17PM mrsnjband wrote:

Sarah,

It never hurts to have a consultaion.  Hope they can give you some relief. NJ 

Norma June, Bi-lateral MX 2008, Bi-lateral DIEP 2011

Dx 1/10/2008, IBC, <1cm, Stage IIIb, ER-/PR-, HER2-Chemotherapy 01/25/2008 Adriamycin, CytoxanChemotherapy 03/10/2008 TaxolChemotherapy 05/29/2008 TaxotereSurgery 07/10/2008 Mastectomy (Right); Lymph Node Removal (Right); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Left)Radiation Therapy 08/11/2008 ExternalSurgery 08/15/2011 Reconstruction: DIEP flap (Right)Surgery 08/15/2011 Reconstruction: DIEP flap (Left)Surgery 12/12/2011 Reconstruction (Left)

Oct 12, 2011 07:26PM Jellydonut wrote:

Sarah,

Hope all went well today with the PS.

Oct 12, 2011 07:49PM SAOIsenberg wrote:

Hi ladies - Jellydonut, thanks for checking on me - all is OK, thinks the PS. She says it looks normal to her - if it moved into my breasts, she'd be worried . . . my left side is worse, she says, b/c that's the side I had radiation on 10 years ago during my first round of BC - apparently it takes the fluid longer to reabsorb on that side. I had a revision done today so I'm seeing her next week, and I did get an appt. w/my old LE therapist for Monday, so although the LE PT won't be able to manipulate me a lot now, she will measure and follow and I'll be further reassured . . . but for now, I'm pooped! Off to bed w/me. Thanks again for everything - I'll keep you posted!

Sarah 

Second round w/BC in 10 years. 6/6/11 dx'd right side DCIS, grade 1, ER/PR+: skin/nipple-sparing BMX, immediate reconstruction w/saline implants+Alloderm 9/19/11.

Oct 13, 2011 08:22PM Nell2109 wrote:

BMX with permanent implant palcement on Oct 7th.  OMG...everything feels tight.  No pain...just tight.  And I am swollen.  Legs, calves, even my feet.  Anyone have this problem?  Is it normal?

Nell2109

Dx 8/24/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 14, 2011 06:14AM SAOIsenberg wrote:

Nell2109 - I haven't had swelling in my lower body . . . are you lying down a lot since you've been home? It hasn't been very long since your surgery. I still feel the tightness, but it's less than it was a week or so after surgery and now that the swelling's going down, it's less bad. You should bring all this up w/your surgeon, for sure. From what I've learned since my surgery, there's a wide range of "normal" after this!

Let me know what you find out - hang in there!

Sarah 

Oct 14, 2011 07:16AM FlatNFabulous wrote:

Nell2109:  I did not do recon so no experience with that but can tell you from other medical conditions that swelling on your legs, ankles and feet is concerning.  If it is fairly minor, try elevating your legs, and please call and ask the doctor/nurse what they think.  If it is alot of swelling and/or if it doesn't resolve when you get up in the morning, if it were me I would INSIST on an appt. today!  It is one thing to have a little swelling from sitting or standing too much that is completely gone when you get up in the morning - quite another if it is excessive and/or doesn't resolve in the morning.  I am particularly concerned that the swelling goes beyond your ankles and feet.  At a minimum, please please call the office and speak to the doctor or his nurse. If you can't reach them and the leg swelling is persisting, please call your primary care.  Don't let this go over the weekend without touching base with your doctors.

And no I do NOT have any medical training - don't even play one on TV.

Barbara

Flat & Fabulous - Freed 'em when they tried to kill me. ♥Flat & Fabulous, Closed Group on FB♥ for all with no recon, failed recon, or considering options.

Oct 15, 2011 07:43PM Jellydonut wrote:

Sarah,

Your news is good news, thank goodness! Smile  It makes perfect sense about the previous radiation site and fluid.

Nell, tightness is very normal but lower body swelling is not.  Suggesting you call the PS and let him/her know asap, or go to the ER.  As Sarah said, keep your legs elevated as much as possible.  Keep us posted as to your progress.

Sending you both healing wishes and good thoughts.

Jelly