We are 144,871 members in 73 forums discussing 114,699 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: Wound on breast

Topic: Wound on breast

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Mar 13, 2012 10:16AM

Cita90 wrote:

I had bi-lateral mastectomy with Diep reconstruction almost 8 weeks ago. My abdominal area feels tight and bloated but I've been told it will take 6 months or more for swelling to go down. My biggest problem is my left breast (where the cancer was) is no healing well. At week 3, I had an open wound where the stitches had been. We tried dressing changes but it became worse, bigger. At 4 weeks, I went out patient surgery for debridement and closure because of an open wound. A week after that in office stitches. The next week and up to now I have been cleaning the wound and changing dressing because it opened up again and I did not want any more stitches. The wound is finally getting better and the draining is less and I wear a pad in my bra for the draining. It has not been infected and the PS has no explanation as to why this is happening.

My breast looks deformed. The only way I can describe it is that it has a big dent, it is no longer round and is a whole cup size smaller than my right breast. The PS was very vague on what was going to be done about the appearance of the breast and making the breasts the same size. I was more concerned with healing this wound and did not pursue the topic. I have an appointment tomorrow where if the wound has started to heal (and it has) he will stitch it up again. Has anyone had any experience with breast wounds?  I'm really concerned with the look of my breast, I looked at it once about 3 weeks ago but I got sooooo freaked out I cannot even look at it and worry whether or not this can be fixed?  I am so sad for my loss, just so sad.

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Mar 13, 2012 11:07AM dlb823 wrote:

Cita, I'm so sorry this is happening to you, and the lack of communication from your PS sounds incredibly disappointing.  I had a minor (about the size of a quarter) area of necrosis that needed to be debrided (unilateral DIEP), and my PS wanted it to heal from the inside up.  So I also had a very small open wound for at least a month that I had to treat with a saline solution and bandage each day.  But my PS was very supportive and kept reassuring me that he would fix everything during my Stage II surgery, which he did, beautifully.  I'm hoping whatever residual damage you have from your open wound can be fixed by a good PS.  I'm just not sure you may not need a 2nd opinion though, especially because of the lack of communication, which would lead me to wonder if your PS has a gameplan and/or the expertise to fix the problem. 

Also... have you seen your BS since all of this has been going on?  I would definitely want him/her to see the problem, just in case any of it relates to their area of expertise. 

But absolutely seek out another PS if you aren't getting reassurance and support from the one you're with now.   (((Hugs)))     Deanna 

"The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears" Native American proverb

Dx 2/1/2008, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 1/3/2014, Stage IV

Mar 13, 2012 10:59PM Moderators wrote:

Oh Cita, it's too bad that you're having to deal with this. Deanna has given you good advice, and you might also want to ask in the Breast Reconstruction forum here on the discussion boards to reach other members about their experiences and recommendations. Here's the link to the forum:

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44

Please let us know how you proceed; we're always here to support you.

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Mar 13, 2012 11:18PM mspradley wrote:

I had a pseudo bursa on my breast incision and another on my abdominal incision. My PS also reassured me that the radiated skin will never heal as quickly as the other skin. He also wanted me to heal from the inside out, so I faced weeks of open wounds with constant draining. I found maxipads to be better than any other form of dressing. Eventually, everything healed on my abdomen and my PS fixed the breast wound during my stage II. It wasn't much fun, but I would go through it all over again in a minute to get the results I have today!

Diagnosis: 11/23/2009, IDC + Pagets, 4.5cm, Stage III, Grade 3, 3/21 nodes, ER+/PR+/HER2+, BETH trial 1/2010-1/2011,6-TCH + Avastin 12-Herceptin + Avastin, 33 rounds of rads, 3/21/2011 DIEP flap bilateral reconstruction, 5 years tamoxifen

Mar 14, 2012 05:19PM Cita90 wrote:

Deanna and Mspradley, thank you so much for sharing your experiences and I'm so happy to hear that even after your experiences with the wounds you are both happy with the results. I really needed to hear that. At this point I just cannot see the final result.  I did see my PS today and he is happy with how the wound is healing and I will continue with the wet-dry dressing for another 4 weeks, he will then stitch the wound.  He did discuss stage II, possibly in the summer, when he will add volume to the breast where needed.  With that and your comments I feel more hopeful. I will re-read your comments when I start feeling frustrated.  Thank-you!

Dx 12/2/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-