We are 144,984 members in 73 forums discussing 114,798 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: Protruding sternum

Topic: Protruding sternum

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Jun 27, 2012 09:23PM

kita wrote:

I've noticed that my upper sternum seemed to stick out more since my bmx last year. It looked worse on the left side where more tissue was taken out but I got used to it. I have always felt a pain in my chest but lower down the sternum where I figured my cancerous internal mammary glands and soft tissue tumors were. Lately I've noticed the sternum right under my neck and more so on the left side seems go be protruding more than before. I have a little soreness but mostly when I touch it. I've felt around the area looking for a solid mass but the whe bone out to the color bone just seems inflamed. I'm not even sure that's where the cancer is since its higher up than the previous place I felt pain.

I just had a scan in may and no new spots had popped up. I just started a new chemo 3 weeks ago do I'm wondering if it's just a reaction or if it's a new tumor. I see my onc in a week but don't have scans til late July. I can't find anything similar online I thought maybe some of you ladies with chest tumors night have similar experiences.

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Jun 27, 2012 10:34PM AnneW wrote:

Is it bony protrusion or soft tissue swelling? Swelling could be LE.

Having fat (breasts) removed creates quite a defect. What once looked symmetrical can now look really unusual.

Hopefully that's all it is. Be comforted that your scans look normal.

2002 IDC stage 1, grade 1, rads & AI

Dx 9/18/2007, ILC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 27, 2012 10:45PM Trisha-Anne wrote:

Hi Kita

I didn't have a bmx, just one breast removed, and I noticed the same thing.  I kept asking the onc whenever I saw him if it seemed all right to him, and he felt the whole area carefully and said it felt fine, and it was normal for people to have one side of their sternum stick out more than the other. 

I did have a bone scan recently (about 2 months ago) and nothing showed up on it, so at least for me it's ok.  I never had any pain there though - although it did feel a bit tender.

The other thing I notice after the mx that I didn't before is how much my tummy sticks out lol - and it's not even either - more on one side than the other.  Not flattering at all lol.

Trish

I have made a long journey and been to a strange land and I've seen the dark man very close ... Thomas Wolfe

Dx 9/17/2010, ILC, <1cm, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 9/17/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 1/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+