Log in to post a reply
Jun 12, 2008 12:55AM, edited Jun 12, 2008 12:55AM
Thanks for all of your information and kind words. I thought I would give you all an update. This may also be beneficial to some who have a similar diagnosis as my wife.
Just to reiterate, on May 30, my wife had a bi-lateral mastectomy with a SNB in which a 1cm micromet was discovered in the sentinal lymph node. The other three lymph nodes were clear.
My wife's breat surgeon onc, radiological onc and medical onc have been reviewing the pathological report and discussing my wife's case. First of all, based upon my wife's data, the oncs say that there is a 16% chance that cancer still exists in one of more existing axillary lymph nodes. Of course, I take that as meaning there is an 84% chance that cancer isn't present in any axillary lymph nodes. The oncs said that they like to see the probablility <10% before they would recommend no removal of axillary lymph nodes. So, my wife agreed and we have surgery scheduled for June 23 to remove 15 axillary lymph nodes.
Below is what else the oncs informed my wife and I:
1. If any cancer is found in any axillary lymph nodes, including micromets, chemotherapy will be recommended, irrespective of the Oncotype score.
2. If cancer isn't found in any axillary lymph nodes and my wife's Oncotype score is in the low range, chemotherapy will not be recommended.
3. If the Oncotype score is intermediate or high, chemotherapy will be recommended even if the axillary lymph nodes are clear.
4. Radiation treatment will not be recommended unless cancer is found in multiple axillary lymph nodes.
My wife and I now feel much better now that we have a game plan. We trust the oncs and we appreciate the way the oncs come together as a team and discuss these breast cancer cases.
Dx 4/7/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 1/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-