We are 144,800 members in 73 forums discussing 114,641 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Help Me Get Through Treatment → Topic: Mouth Sores During Chemo

Topic: Mouth Sores During Chemo

Forum: Help Me Get Through Treatment — Medications and other treatments, medical benefits, and managing side effects.

Posted on: Aug 22, 2007 06:09PM

Katiejane wrote:

I have had 2 of my 4 AC treatments and have developed 2 mouth sores, actually they are ulsers on my tongue. I'm only 1 week out from my next tx and was wondering if any of you know of a fix for this before I get slammed again? I drink 2-3 liters of H2O a day and also take 4 Lysine capsule daily as recommended by my onco. Chattie

Posts 1 - 15 (15 total)

Aug 22, 2007 06:14PM twink wrote:

Chattie,
You might try baking soda and water or salt and water. When my mouth got very bad with thrush... my onc prescribed 'magic mouthwash' and flucozone (sp?). It's not available OTC though but it quickly cleared up my mouth issues. I've used Biotene throughout chemo as well...not sure if it really does anything but I can't tolerate a stronger mouthwash.

If you can't be kind, have the decency to be vague.

Aug 22, 2007 06:24PM Traci40 wrote:

Hey Chattie,
I didn't get mouth sores but, my toungue did "split" and, my gums and roof of my mouth were (are right now actually) like wrinkled leather.
Mine goes away though after about a week.
When my sister had chemo 9 yrs ago, she got severe mouth sores. She couldn't eat a tomato for over a year because of the acid.
Good luck with yours. I'm sure you'll get a lot more good advise like Twink's in no time on this thread.
: ) Traci

Aug 22, 2007 06:31PM GoodMommy wrote:

Chattie,

I got mouth sores after my first chemo treatment of TAC. My friend told me that her onc recommended Biotine mouthwash and also the toothpaste. That worked wonders and healed the sores in just a few days. I never had a problem after that, but I continued with the Biotine. I also brushed my teeth and used the mouthwash several times a day and as a result, I didn't need any dental work after the treatment.

Chris
Dx 3/2005, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 15/20 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 22, 2007 06:42PM Stack wrote:

I HAD THE SAME AS TWINK BUT I THINK MY DOC CALLED IT MIRACLE MOUTHWASH. AND IT WAS. I HAD A REAL SORE THROAT, NO SORES, BUT MY THROAT WAS A MESS. AFTER A COUPLE SWISHINGS OF THIS STUFF AND IT WAS GONE. I ONLY NEEDED IT THE ONE TIME AS I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY MOUTH AGAIAN DURING TX

Dx 2005, 3cm & 1.5cm IDC w/DCIS, Stage II Grade III, 0/5 Nodes, ER+,PR-,HER2-

Aug 22, 2007 06:51PM Katiejane wrote:

Twink,I just tried the salt/H2O swish-wow, that was something! Hopefully after a few days that will help. Thanks

Traci,Some of my gums are of the "leather look/feel". If this continues I will call my onco.

Chris, I have been using the Biotene products since the beginning, several times a day. Did great the first tx with the products but this time it's not helping as a preventative quite as much. Thanks for everyone's input! By the way, has anyone heard that probiotics help? Chattie
Dx 6/13/2007Dx 6/13/2007, ILC, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 3/28 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 22, 2007 08:12PM emg326 wrote:

someone suggested DGL licorice tablets for mouth and stomach ulcers. I bought some today as I start TC next week and want to have it on hand just in case. YOu can get it at health food stores.

Aug 23, 2007 04:50AM abbadoodles wrote:

I also have heard that you might help prevent mouth sores by sucking on ice during the infusions and for a while afterward. I think the theory is that it decreases the blood flow to the mouth, thereby decreasing the dose of drug to the mouth.

It's worth a try. Good luck. Oh, and try the Biotene MW.

Tina

Tina

Aug 23, 2007 05:48AM momasherry wrote:

I had a lot of problems with mouth ulcers. I had only heard of the baking soda/salt rinse until it got too much for that to work. It also felt like I had a sore thoat. The Doctor gave me Constanza'a compound which is basically Malox liquid and benedril and lidocane. The second time I needed it my insurance would't cover it so I just mixed some Malox and benedril - mostly Malox. I wouls swish it like a mouth wash . It really helped me as I was very uncomfortable.

Aug 23, 2007 06:47AM Brenda_R wrote:

I got mouth sores, ulcers and thrush during chemo.
I tried Biotene gel, magic mouthwash, salt rinse, and ended up using Anbesol on the ulcer. It numbed the pain and seemed to make it heal faster.
They gave me pills for the thrush. I think they were fluconozol, or something like that.
Dx 12/12/2006, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 1/17 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+Surgery 12/29/2006 Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Right)Chemotherapy 01/28/2007 Adriamycin, CytoxanRadiation Therapy 05/01/2007 ExternalTargeted Therapy 07/10/2007 Herceptin

Aug 23, 2007 08:51AM bomber410 wrote:

I had mouth ulcers in the beginnng of AC and baking soda and water worked best for me. I've not had any problems since. So as you can see, we are all different. I'd start with the baking soda/water or salt water and take it from there.

Debbie

You can visit my CaringBridge site at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/debbiecole

Dx 3/29/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 1/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 23, 2007 04:23PM ShirleyHughes wrote:

My recommendation that even after you successfully treat the mouth sores that you continue to use salt or baking soda rinses to toughen the mouth. I used that and magic mouthwash. Sometimes I'd use Biotene and always the biotene toothpast with a little baking soda on it. I never got mouth sores, but told they were very painful. Good luck.
Shirley

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference

Aug 23, 2007 04:49PM gshoemate wrote:

My mouth sores were comparable to canker sores which I had alot before chemo. I take L-Lysine for mine and it helps alot. It's an amino acid so I would suggest checking with your onco. before taking.

Aug 23, 2007 06:02PM maxgirl wrote:

I had the whole range of mouth problems -- cankers, cold sores, sore throat, flaming mouth, and burned tongue. I couldn't eat tomatoes or oranges until a month after tx ended.

I used the Biotene products and Magic Mouthwash to keep things bearable. Near the end of my treatment, my onc nurse ordered something called Gelclair mouthwash for me. Like Magic Mouthwash, you could swallow it if you had a sore throat. Funny that someone mentioned licorice tablets, because it tasted slightly like licorice. I thought it was a lot more effective than Magic Mouthwash and wish I had had it earlier in my treatment.
Dx 1/10/2007, IDC, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 2/15 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Aug 23, 2007 07:13PM Katiejane wrote:

Thanks everyone for your feedback!!! I called my ONC today-they prescribed Diflucan(sp?) for possible oral yeast infect. I will continue to use the Biotene products as well as baking soda/H2O rinses. I'm curious, what is this Magic Mouthwash? Max, was the Gelclair by prescription?
Chattie
Dx 6/13/2007Dx 6/13/2007, ILC, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 3/28 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 28, 2007 11:22AM lambchop wrote:

I suffered this after my first chemo treatment. Did not have any more problems with other treatments. During treatment eat something cold (ice cream, freezie pop, whatever). Drink pineapple juice or eat pineapple cubes. Brush teeth with a baby toothbrush. Do not use tooth paste as this can irritate your mouth. I used bicarbonate soda. Eat bio yogurts. They help to maintain the normal flora. Believe me, you will get through this. Keep strong and fight with all that you've got! It will get better, promise. It does not seem like it now - I know, but I am 3 years on, not cured and not likely to be but I am back to my "old" better self! For now the fight is over...but the battle will go on! Best wishes!