We are 144,776 members in 73 forums discussing 114,616 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After → Topic: Tamoxifen and existing cysts/fibroids

Topic: Tamoxifen and existing cysts/fibroids

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After — Risks and benefits, side effects, and costs of anti-estrogen medications.

Posted on: Oct 31, 2007 01:28PM, edited Oct 31, 2007 01:28PM by prayrv

prayrv wrote:

I have started tamoxifen this month (so far so good), but I have a question...  I have an existing cyst on my right ovary and 2 fibroids on my uterous that were being watched before my dx of bc.  They did not change (prior to dx) and we have left them alone.  What might be a side effect of tamoxifen on these?  Has anyone had this issue before and what did you do?  Thanks for all your help ladies!!

Take Care.

Trish

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Oct 31, 2007 02:36PM, edited Mar 19, 2008 09:58AM by TenderIsOurMight

I did take Tamoxifen, and had a small ovarian cyst. It didn't change while on it. Also had fibroids which did not change either. But when I started with irregular spotting, it was all resolved by a hysterectomy and ovaries removal as my gynecologist recommended.

My understanding though, more specific to your question, is that Tamoxifen in some patient's can aggravate ovarian cysts and fibroids. It they do, they sometimes are without symptoms, other times, with growth. may cause pain.

Best to have your gynecologist come up with a management plan while you're on the Tamoxifen.

Good luck to you. I found Tamoxifen to be quite doable and hope you do to.
Tender

It cannot be emphasized too strongly that treatment of each patient is a highly individualized matter. (FDA-approved labeling for warfarin (Coumadin) NDA 9-218/5-105)

Oct 31, 2007 06:56PM awb wrote:

I developed large ovarian cysts (and small uterine fibroids) which ruptured while on tamoxifen, ending up in a total abdominal hysterectomy.  My gyn said tamox didn't cause it, but I never had any problems with cysts or fibroids before tamox. But even having had major abdominal surgery and immediate surgical menopause, I still take tamox and will for another year as it is a really good preventative medication and the only one recommended for my situation (high risk from LCIS and family history).

"I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds the future"

Dx 9/5/2003, LCIS, Stage 0, 0/0 nodesSurgery 09/16/2003 Lumpectomy (Right)Hormonal Therapy 10/30/2003 TamoxifenSurgery 04/05/2005 Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)Hormonal Therapy 02/28/2009 Evista

Nov 1, 2007 08:31AM, edited Nov 1, 2007 08:35AM by louishenry

Question for Tender or anyone that may be in this scenario ...I'm in a little quandry right now. I am part of a tribe that fibroids run rampant. I was hopeful to be the first to have a uterus through menopause. Tamox  ( I think it's the tamox) has made my uterus much larger. My gyn recommends a hysterectomy as my fibroids are now about 16 week size. Now the quandry...He thinks because I am going on 46 and  have had dcis, just get rid of the ovaries as well and stay on tamox or evista or whatever. The onc says just get off of the tamox and keep the body parts. He's not a big fan of tamox for dcis for these reasons. What's your thought? How did you feel being thrust into menopause?

Dcis May 2007, 4 mm, grade 1-2, no rads recommended. Tamoxifen September 2007 .BRCA 1/2 Negative. Sis with LCIS

Nov 1, 2007 10:35AM jlazyk wrote:

I got fibroids within a year of tamox.  They've slowly grown to 13 week size.  I'm scheduling a supracervical laproscopic hysterectomy (keep the cervix, leave the ovaries....just take the uterus).  You really don't want to know how they get a 13 week uterus through laproscope tubes.

I really don't have that many symptoms  (some pain, heavy periods, pee alot),  but I don't want to just sit around and watch them get bigger and then I will need a abdominal procedure.

Anyway both my oncologist and gyn want me to keep my ovaries.  They both know me very well and don't think I will deal well with menopause.  The gyn surgeon doing the procedure kind of thought I should take my ovaries since "he's already in there".  He has since backed down  and I'm scheduled nov 16.

Nov 1, 2007 10:53AM lvtwoqlt wrote:

I am 47 and I don't know about fibroids and cysts but I was on tamox 6 months before my bilat mast this summer. While on tamox, my periods were very erratic but since going off they have returned to somewhat close to normal. My dr took me off the tamox since I did the bilat and is asking my gyn to keep close track on the ovaries. He is more interested in keeping my bone density up with the estrogen rather than remove the ovaries at this point to reduce the estrogen. I also have scoliosis and a rod supporting my spine.

Sheila

Women are like tea bags, we don't know how strong we are until we were thrown into hot water. Eleanore Roosevelt Diagnosed ADH Feb 2005, ADH Sept 2006

Dx 4/27/2007, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/7 nodesSurgery 02/12/2005 Lumpectomy (Left)Surgery 09/10/2006 Lumpectomy (Right)Hormonal Therapy 10/12/2006 TamoxifenSurgery 06/01/2007 Mastectomy (Both)