We are 144,816 members in 73 forums discussing 114,658 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: Discoloration of breast

Topic: Discoloration of breast

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only or those posting on behalf of a Stage IV patient. There is a separate forum for Stage IV Caregivers/Family in "Support and Community Connections".

Posted on: Jul 23, 2007 05:47AM

ForTheMoment wrote:

Ok.. why does stuff like this always seem to happen on days when I'm really not even thinking about my cancer??? I just took a shower and was drying off and noticed my breast (the one where my primary cancer showed up in 2005) is purple all the way around. Almost like a combination between a bruise and a rash. Anyone heard of that??? I've called my onc and I'm waiting for a call back, but thought I would see if anyone had experience with this.

Thanks in advance.... Log in to post a reply

Posts 1 - 11 (11 total)

Jul 23, 2007 01:29PM katie11 wrote:

Ouch, Erin! This sounds sore! I've never had anything like this, but you've done the right thing calling your onc. It's probably nothing to worry about, but definitely worth checking out to be on the safe side.

Let us know how you get on and hugs to you,

Katie xx

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!

Dx 7/15/2006, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 23, 2007 01:53PM ForTheMoment wrote:

Actually, it isn't sore at all. That is what is so strange.. If I hadn't been checking out my sexy bod after the shower (ha)I wouldn't have even noticed it.

My onc called back and said it sounds like it could be cellulitis. I did some research on it, and one of the risk factors is being treated for breast cancer previously with lumpectomy, chemo, rads... all of which I have had. It can be delayed for up to 15 months. (I am 13 months out of initial treatments) Soooo.. they have put me on antibiotics and if that doesn't work... have to go see my surgeon for a biopsy to rule out Inflammatory Breast Cancer... (oh no you didn't just say the "C" word to me again) Also, found out today that one of my tumor markers went down a couple points, and the other, up about 10 points... Hmmmmmm. They still don't think they will scan any earlier since it is a small increase. Increase nonetheless... YUCK! They say "try to relax, don't worry about every pain and test result, etc. It doesn't all have to be cancer" Sheesh.. easier said than done.

I may have just vented a bit. Sorry about that all. Thanks for reading.

Jul 23, 2007 03:24PM LuAnnH wrote:

Erin,

At least you can take comfort in the fact your onc is on the ball. I just watched a video someone posted, here is the link

http://wmv.fsci.com/KOMOTV/komo_ibc.wmv?MSWMExt=.asf

This is on IBC and that was my first thought when you explained it. I hope it is nothing more than an infection.

LuAnn

LuAnn --

Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 23, 2007 04:41PM WendyV wrote:

Erin sweetie - I'm hoping the issues with your breast are nothing more than an infection and not the dreaded "C". It is horrible isn't it, it's hard not to think that every little thing is not cancer. I think we all have these feelings much more than we would like to, and I don't think it is something that is going to get any easier any time soon. I'm glad you called the doc and I hope those antibiotics do the trick!
Take Care
Wendy

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.( bone,liver,brain,lung mets)

Dx 10/9/2006, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 24, 2007 06:11AM PaulaBeth wrote:

I have a very similar rash every time my chest gets warm. It took me a long time to figure out why it was so much worse sometimes, but finally realized the warm water from my shower or bath made it look the worst. My onc says it's nothing to worry about.

Jul 27, 2007 06:36AM ForTheMoment wrote:

Good news~~~ The antibiotics seem to be taking care of my isse. It hasn't gotten any worse, and it seems to be fading. Onc feels if it was IBC it would be getting worse quickly. So yeah! Who would have thought I'd be happy to have an infected boob? Strange how what makes us happy changes so drastically with a breast cancer dx.

Jul 27, 2007 10:29AM jacqniel wrote:

So happy that it is responding to the treatment! I ended up in the hospital - twice - with celulitis 6 months and then a year after I had my surgery. Prayers that it continues to respond!

Jul 27, 2007 10:45AM lexi4 wrote:

That's great news! I know I'd never imagine myself hoping for shingles or some strange infection. I am happy for you!

Hugs,
Lexi
Dx 8/22/2005, IBC, 3cm, Stage IIIb, Grade 3, 5/6 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Jul 27, 2007 11:07AM LuAnnH wrote:

You are just having a great day! WOOHOO!!!!

LuAnn

LuAnn --

Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 27, 2007 11:39AM WendyV wrote:

More good news!!! What a great weekend you are going to have!
Wendy

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.( bone,liver,brain,lung mets)

Dx 10/9/2006, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Aug 9, 2007 01:26PM jonimb wrote:

Hello FTM,

I was off fishing in British Columbia, so just checking all the posts. Glad to hear you are doing well.

Joni

Joni, Chestermere, AB, Canada, Today is the BEST day of my life EVER!!

Dx 9/25/2006, IDC, 4cm, Grade 3, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-