We are 145,005 members in 73 forums discussing 114,830 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE for cancer patients

Topic: FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE for cancer patients

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only or those posting on behalf of a Stage IV patient. There is a separate forum for Stage IV Caregivers/Family in "Support and Community Connections".

Posted on: Jan 18, 2008 12:03PM

badboob67 wrote:

I have been working on a "wikispace" to refer people to when they are in need of information about financial assistance programs available for cancer patients. The page is rough and I still have many links to add, but I wanted to get it up so people could access the information. 

The site is here:  http://bb67.wikispaces.com/ 

If you have any information about assistance programs, I would appreciate it if you could PM me here or add it to the "discussion" area of my wikispace.

So many times, people have come here in desparate need of help and we've all done what we could to piont them in the right direction. It was my hope to gather and organize all the information into one place where people could go for help. BC is hard enough; I don't think getting the care, medicine, and assistance we need should have to be hard too!

(((HUGS)))
Diane

Posts 1 - 21 (21 total)

Jan 18, 2008 12:05PM Little-G wrote:

Diane...what a great thing to do!!!  I'm going to check this page out later,just wanted to say thank you for the time and effort on this!!

g

Dx 2005, ILC, 1cm, Stage Ib, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 18, 2008 12:15PM DoreenF wrote:

Diane - this is a wonderful project and will be a teriffic resource ...

I'll send you a link to another forum that has a number of entries (varied by state) for financial assistance ....

Doreen  

"Cancer May Leave Your Body, but It Never Leaves Your Life" - Lance Armstrong Foundation Manifesto.

Dx 4/18/2005, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 18, 2008 02:59PM, edited Feb 3, 2008 02:36PM by Jellydonut

Diane,

Thank you for assembling all of this important information on a cohesive page.  It will certainly be much appreciated by the multitudes.  You're a kind soul.

Dx 3/2002, IDC, Stage IV, 3/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 21, 2008 12:21PM badboob67 wrote:

*bump* in case anyone has any links to share or wants to visit the page

When you're down to nothing, GOD is up to something! http://bb67.wikispaces.com/

Dx 2/15/2006, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 24/27 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 21, 2008 01:03PM LauraGTO wrote:

Diane...my brother's gf was dx'd w/bc at a time when she was "in between" ins companies...ie: had no ins. Her Dr. contacted The Koman Foundation and they paid for all of her treatment. I truly feel for those who are in a predicament such as this at a time that is so very overwhelming. I'm sure your efforts will help many...good job!

With hope there are possibilities.

Dx 7/2005, ILC, 4cm, Stage IIb, Grade 2, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 21, 2008 02:12PM celia088 wrote:

wow diane!! What a great idea!!!  Thank you!!!!

celia 

"May your heart always be joyful, May your song always be sung, May you stay forever young"........Bob Dylan

Jan 21, 2008 03:05PM Rocktobermom wrote:

What about ACS' vouchers for housekeeping? I wish I had known about that when I was going thru it!

When life hands you a lemon, ask for some tequila and salt to go with it!

Jan 21, 2008 04:26PM livesstrong wrote:

Thanks Diane, you rock.

Valerie 

Someday I'll wish upon a star and wake up where the clouds are far behind me.

Jan 21, 2008 05:47PM, edited Jan 21, 2008 05:48PM by Rocktobermom

Also, I found out from one of my Rocktober sisters that there is a form to fill out with the electric companies to raise your baseline so your bill is not as expensive.  I called today and they are sending me the form for the dr to sign. It will give me, I think, 16kw extra per day, which she said will save me ALOT.

Do you think you could add that info to your website?

Jan 21, 2008 06:22PM badboob67 wrote:

Rocktober,

Both of the programs you mentioned are ones I am not familiar with. Would you mind sending me a PM with the contact info?  I want to add any resources that anyone might possibly be able to draw on. Nosurrender has given me permission to use some info from her site.  My old laptop (now more of a paperweight...UGH!) had TONS of links for this kind of stuff and I lost it all. I am trying to piece together what I remember and add to it as well.

I have at least 5 more pages of links to organize. I am trying to visit each link before posting to make sure the links are valid and to get info about the programs.  It will be an on-going project for me.

I have added the wikispace URL to my signature line and profile.  If you come across anyone needing this type of resource, please feel free to share the URL. That's what it's there for!

((((HUGS))))
Diane

When you're down to nothing, GOD is up to something! http://bb67.wikispaces.com/

Jan 21, 2008 06:43PM Rocktobermom wrote:

Hello there,

I don't have a link for the electric company .... one of my bc sisters has GE for her electric company and she called them and they sent her a form to fill out and have her dr sign it .... I called SCE, SoCal Edison and they too, have a form that they send out, you fill it out and have your dr sign it. They will raise your baseline allowance.  But you have to call in.

The ACS ... that's the American Cancer Society.  BethNY mentioned that they have vouchers for housekeeping services while you are in treatment, maybe they do it more often if you are stage 4. 

I know when I called the ACS, they sent me some forms to keep track of my mileage and will give you up to $400 per year for transportation to and from dr's visits and chemo treatments.

I did have to make the phone call to the ACS and to my electric company.  I think each person will have to just use their bill to get the phone number and the ACS phone number is 1·800·ACS·2345

Jan 21, 2008 07:13PM badboob67 wrote:

Every bit helps, rocktobermom!  I'll do what I can to get the appropriate phone numbers and info out to people.  I do know that there is a national program called LIHEAP (Low Income Heating Assistance Program...I think!) that offers help to low income people. Most phone companies have something as well. 

Thanks, Rocktobermom!  YOU rock!  Smile

Jan 21, 2008 08:49PM LoriFL wrote:

Wow! I didn't know there was so much out there for us! Thank you for sharing!

Jan 22, 2008 08:14AM Rocktobermom wrote:

Badboob, the one thing I really like was that for the electric bill and the ACS reimbursement for mileage, was that you didn't have to be considered LOW income.  For soooo many of the programs out there, you have to be considered almost destitute before someone will help you!!!

I am so excited about my baseline increase!  Now, I won't feel bad about keeping my house at 68º at night! 

Jan 22, 2008 08:37AM Bugs wrote:

What an awesome idea.  I have learned about alot of things here ..but didn't know of them til AFTER treatment and always thought "wow, would have been nice to know this".  Maybe a link to all these resources should a tack pin on each forum?

Take care,

Bugs

Dx 2/1/2006, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 3/16 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 25, 2008 10:00PM AusAla wrote:

Diane,

This is so great.....it needs a bump!

Thanks, girl,

Bethie

"I don't want to be in a battle, but waiting on the edge of one I can't escape is even worse! Pippin, Lord of the Ring: Return of the King

Dx 5/13/2002, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 3/17 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jan 26, 2008 05:04PM awjkej wrote:

Hi Diane,

A friend and I started a website a few years back initially to help her in her efforts to raise money for breast cancer via the Janus Charity Challenge when she was doing the Hawaii Ironman Triathalon.  We kept it and turned it into a bc resource site.  Is it okay with you if I put a link to your "wikispace" website?

Anne

p.s. ours is www.faithhopecourage.com if you want to see the site

www.faithhopecourage.com / Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark.--Rabindranath Tagore

Dx 1/10/2003, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/14 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+Surgery 02/03/2003 Mastectomy (Left); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Right)Chemotherapy 03/27/2003 Adriamycin, CytoxanTargeted Therapy 10/01/2004 HerceptinHormonal Therapy 12/01/2004 ArimidexChemotherapy 11/04/2005 TaxotereRadiation Therapy 11/21/2005 ExternalHormonal Therapy 06/16/2006 AromasinChemotherapy 08/09/2007 XelodaTargeted Therapy 08/09/2007 TykerbRadiation Therapy 10/17/2007 ExternalChemotherapy 04/08/2008 NavelbineRadiation Therapy 11/10/2010 External

Jan 26, 2008 05:53PM my3girls wrote:

Thank you Diane!  What a great thing you are doing.

Rocktobermom, when it comes to the reimbursement for mileage from ACS, is that something you can still do, if you are done with treatments?  If so, that would be a big help for me.  I am a single mom, and every little bit or "large" bit helps!

My electricity is provided by my local company through our city.  I guess I could call them to see.  What about gas bills.  My heat is gas.  Any idea if the gas companies provide any assistance?

Thanks again for this thread!

Lisa

Worry is for "shit"! Live, Laugh, Love! //unilateral mast//reconst. 2/4/08

Dx 3/6/2007, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 31, 2008 11:53AM, edited Mar 31, 2008 11:54AM by NarberthMom

Diane --

There was an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer today about how cancer patients in the state of Delaware get cancer treatment for free if they are uninsured (www.philly.com/inquirer/health...

The program is called the Delaware Cancer Treatment Program. Their website is: www.dhss.delaware.gov/dph/dpc/...

I thought this information would be useful for your wonderful "wikispace".

Hugs,
Hillary

There are no strangers here, only friends you haven't met!

Dx 12/15/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage Ib, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Mar 31, 2008 11:59AM Rocktobermom wrote:

There's also here in Orange County, a group called KidsKonnected and they have groups for children of parents who have or have had cancer.  They even run a camp. They are letting me know the costs involved once my daughter is 7.

Mar 31, 2008 12:02PM Rocktobermom wrote:

They've also sent me some flyers on how to talk to kids about cancer.  Let me know, Diane, I can email them to you so you can upload them as a pdf file on your site???