We are 145,005 members in 73 forums discussing 114,829 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: What did your lump feel like?(implant question)

Topic: What did your lump feel like?(implant question)

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried — Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time.

Posted on: Feb 22, 2007 11:47AM

shochmah wrote:

What did/does your lump feel like?

Any feedback would be appreciated. I found a lump a couple of weeks ago, but was not worried at all. I was completely ignorant about breast cancer, but did know that almost all lumps are caused by benign conditions... but that you have to check all new lumps.

So, I scheduled my breast exam and my doctor confirmed what I had found. The lump is hard, doesn't move, and she thinks it is not eaily distinguishable... (I think it is). I was still not worried and had not done any research. Of course, once I started looking online, I realized that my lump did not seem consistent with benign conditions.

My lump does not hurt, feels like a garbanzo bean or maybe a big green bean shape, is hard... but it really feels like it is embedded in my pectoralis muscle and not my breast tissue. It really feels like hard muscle tissue jutting out of the pec muscle. I mean, there is no way it could move because it feels like a part of the muscle.... Does breast cancer feel like it is actually juttting out of your muscle tissue?

Also, I had breast implants (saline or salt water filled, so it is not a silicone lump from leakage) but am wondering if that could be the cause...

Anyway, I guess it is on my mind because now I have my diagnostic mammogram on Monday and am starting to get a sick feeling.

I used to worry about scar tissue from my implants and now I am praying for it!

(I am 36... my mother and 3 older sisters have not had any problems, but my paternal grandmother and maternal aunt had breast cancer.)

Thanks for any info...

sh Log in to post a reply

Posts 1 - 29 (29 total)

Feb 23, 2007 02:40AM nlk wrote:

Sh, I found my lump during a self exam. It was on the left side near my nipple. It appeared to be about the size of a pea (maybe a little larger). When I went to get it checked out nothing showed up on the mammogram, before leaving the office I had the nurse feel the area of the lump and she scheduled me for a ultrasound, followed by a breast biopsy. After the path report I was diag with lobular cancer. This was all in Jan 06, since then I have had a bilat mast with expander placement and permanent, a round of chemo. I had my implant exchange in Dec 06. It is good that they are doing a diagnostic mammo. Good luck on Monday, and I hope you get good news. Keep us posted. NLK

Feb 23, 2007 04:03AM ritimosa wrote:

I brushed against my egg size lump while getting ready for bed. It was tender and I started my period the next day. So I put off going to the doctor for over a month and it kept growing. I was dx with triple negative IDC. I'm all though my treatments now hopefully it wont return. Best of luck to you. I was 40 when dx with no history of cancer at all in my family. I'm not over weight and I've always eaten my veggies and workout every day. You just never know.

Feb 24, 2007 06:09PM jetj wrote:

I could not feel a lump at all. Try not to stress too much, I'm sure you've heard that most lumps are benign.

Just make sure it is thoroughly checked.
All the best
Janette

Feb 24, 2007 06:26PM yowyow wrote:

I went to my GP as I felt a hardening when I finished breast feeding, all I got was you are 31 and with hormones and breast feeding your breast will be all over the place"

It was not a lump just heavy like my baby hadn't emptied when feeding.

I tried to get follow up on this but at 31 docs assume its not cancer related!!

5 years later it is breat cancer. Insist on tests if you are unsettled about it.

I had a pea size lump in the other breast which was not painful but taken seriously, but in 3 years of annual ultrasounds was always benign.

It is soooo confusing, 80% are B9 honey!!

Good luck to you xxxxx

dx may 06 - IDC 1.4cm DCIS 5cm 2/14+ nodes Triple Neg - bilat skin and nipple sparing mast - 6 x FEC - NED

Feb 26, 2007 08:30AM LittleG wrote:

I also have implants, and I did feel my lump. Now that I know what it was, its hard to mistake it for the normal lumps and bumps. Good luck with your dx!! Let us know how it goes.

g

Feb 11, 2008 06:21PM OlgaCarola wrote:

I just found a small pea sized lump in my left breast. I also have a saline implant--a small one, that was given to me to match my reconstructed right breast when I had a mastectomy 5 years ago. Needless to say, I am worried too. I am going to my oncologist in a week and will find out more then. Best of luck to you.

It is hard to say whether it's part of the implant or not, as the implant is very small. The area is sensitive to the touch but that may be because I worried it a lot. I am 61 and have been cancer free for

5 years so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is just a cyst or part of the implant.  

Feb 12, 2008 06:31AM Beesie wrote:

sh,

You're right - every lump needs to be checked out, no matter what it's like.  Some lumps have characteristics that are more consistent with breast cancer; other lumps have the appearance of being benign.  But regardless of how a lump looks or feels, the only way to know what any lump is is to go through the diagnostic process.  Hopefully the diagnostic mammogram that you're having will provide a clear indication that your lump is benign and harmless.  If it doesn't, then you'll probably be sent for an ultrasound (if you haven't already had one), maybe an MRI, and if it's still not clear what your lump is, maybe a biopsy.  Even for those who get to the biopsy stage, 80% of lumps turn out to be benign.  So it's good that you are getting this checked out, but try to keep in mind that the odds are very much in your favor that everything will be okay. 

The other thing to remember is that this is a breast cancer website, which means that most of us who hang out here are from the minority group who were diagnosed with breast cancer.  So please don't get scared by reading the replies.  Yup, some women had a lump like yours and it turned out to be cancer.  But I can promise you that more women who had a lump like yours didn't have cancer.  It's just that those women have left this website and are happily going on with their lives!

Good luck to you.  Please let us know what happens. 

Dx 9/15/05, DCIS-MI, 6cm+ Gr3 DCIS w/IDC microinvasion, Stage I, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR- “No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Apr 14, 2008 02:18AM Nanna-kim wrote:

Hi I found a lump in December 07 and went to my doctor and he exzamined me and he said it was nothing to worry about now its april 08 and the lump is very big its not sore but its doesnt feel hard either its more like a soft spungy sought of lump but its an odd shape. since december its gotten a lot bigger and now i am very scared but i dont want to go to the doctor and look like an idiot.can anyone give me any advise about how i described it as all the other emails i have read the lumps are hard not spungy. thankyou kim

May 9, 2008 11:41AM Katie1 wrote:

Hi Nanna-Kim

I am concerned about you. My sister in law also went for a breast check and after an ultrasound was told that it was nothing to worry about. 4-6 months later she returned to her Doctor as the lump had grown and she wanted it checked again, this time she was told it was cancer. After a double mastectomy and removal of many of her lymph nodes, chemo and radiation, she did get a few months reprieve, but then cancer was found in her liver, lungs, brain and stomach. My sister in law's name was Carman and she was 33 when she passed away last Tuesday morning, she left behind 4 beautiful children, the youngest just 2. Please you have no reason to feel like an idiot, I recommend all of you to get 2nd and 3rd opinions if you are worried about a lump. A correct diagnosis in the first place could have save or prolonged Carman's life. I hate to be grim and I realise that the majority of lumps are nothing to worry about, but when it comes to your life it is worth being cautious!

May 9, 2008 11:41AM Katie1 wrote:

Hi Nanna-Kim

I am concerned about you. My sister in law also went for a breast check and after an ultrasound was told that it was nothing to worry about. 4-6 months later she returned to her Doctor as the lump had grown and she wanted it checked again, this time she was told it was cancer. After a double mastectomy and removal of many of her lymph nodes, chemo and radiation, she did get a few months reprieve, but then cancer was found in her liver, lungs, brain and stomach. My sister in law's name was Carman and she was 33 when she passed away last Tuesday morning, she left behind 4 beautiful children, the youngest just 2. Please you have no reason to feel like an idiot, I recommend all of you to get 2nd and 3rd opinions if you are worried about a lump. A correct diagnosis in the first place could have save or prolonged Carman's life. I hate to be grim and I realise that the majority of lumps are nothing to worry about, but when it comes to your life it is worth being cautious!

May 10, 2008 01:48PM kristin334 wrote:

I have saline implants and have a hard lump underneath. I sometimes feel strange sensations, almost a slight burning feeling. I am planning on making a doctor's appointment and like yourself am hoping this is only scar tissue. I also have a slight swelling in my armpit but am unsure if this is my imagination. I am highly paranoid and am getting moreso after investigating symptoms etc. on websites. I feel a bit better after reading responses from all of you. I see how  a site like this can help us all to not feel so alone.

Jun 9, 2008 07:23PM angela060 wrote:

Hello All,

Tonight i was about to breast feed my son and felt a pea size lump near my right nipple. I'm not sure if this is a lump due to nursing or if this can  be a sign of breast cancer? I'm 26 and really dont have cancer in my family but an y advice would be great.  

Jun 10, 2008 01:36AM Dukemom2 wrote:

Angela,

Chances are that the lump is hormonal, but I'd suggest you call your ob/gyn and tell him/her about the lump.  If your doctor is concerned, s/he might suggest an ultrasound.  Otherwise, s/he will likely be able to reassure you. 

I hope you are told that it's hormonal, and that you have peace of mind.  Please let us know what your doctor says.

Dukemom

"You have to accept whatever comes, and the only important thing is that you meet it with the best you have to give." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Jun 10, 2008 07:57PM, edited Feb 24, 2010 08:37AM by PaminFL

This Post was deleted by PaminFL.
Dx 5/8/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 3/20 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jun 11, 2008 02:41AM Carmelle wrote:

I found my lump after stopping nursing with my 10 month old. Told too young and blocked duct. I got pregnant in a few months had next babay and gave up nursing when he was 5 months old due to pain and mastitis in that breast. Waited another year. Lump was huge. Surgeon said no way was cx as I was 38 (by now)and didn't cancel the mammo my gp had ordered.

Invasive cx. After bilateral other breast had non-invasive cx.

I had multiple tumors in right breast. In separate quadrants.

This issue of breast cx and nursing should not be ignored. I think the cx was blocking my ducts.

Michelle

Yesterday is History... Tomorrow is Mystery...Today is a gift.

Dx 3/7/2003, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIa, Grade 2, 5/15 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 8, 2008 12:08PM bballchick93 wrote:

hi,

im 16 and i feel a huge lump in my breast and i dont know if its cancer or not but i can get paranoid about things and im not sure if its me getting paranoid or acually breast cancer and i had oozing stuff out of my nipple 2 years ago and dont thinks thats good. what should i do because im scared? ADVICE PLEASE

Jul 8, 2008 12:53PM cestovatela wrote:

bballchick,

It certainly is scary to find a lump in your breast, but it doesn't mean you have cancer.  If the nipple discharge was 2 years ago and stopped, it is probably not connected to the lump you feel now.  If you still have discharge, it is more likely that you have an infection than cancer, especially at your age.  There are lots of benign (non-cancerous) reasons to have a lump in your breast.  Fibroadenomas are a kind of benign tumor common in young women.  Cysts, a kind of fluid-filled sack, can also cause breast lumps. My stepsister had a cyst when she was a teenager.   Does the lump feel smooth and round?  Does it move when you push on it?  Those are good signs that it is benign.

Even though it is probably not cancer, you are right to take it seriously.  Ask your mom to make an appointment with your primary care doctor or gynecologist so that you can have it examined.  If the doctor thinks it is a cyst, he or she can probably drain it in the office.  Otherwise, you will probably need to have a mammogram or ultrasound to determine exactly what it is.  Since you say it is big, your doctor will probably want to remove it even if it is benign. 

Jul 8, 2008 12:53PM cestovatela wrote:

bballchick,

It certainly is scary to find a lump in your breast, but it doesn't mean you have cancer.  If the nipple discharge was 2 years ago and stopped, it is probably not connected to the lump you feel now.  If you still have discharge, it is more likely that you have an infection than cancer, especially at your age.  There are lots of benign (non-cancerous) reasons to have a lump in your breast.  Fibroadenomas are a kind of benign tumor common in young women.  Cysts, a kind of fluid-filled sack, can also cause breast lumps. My stepsister had a cyst when she was a teenager.   Does the lump feel smooth and round?  Does it move when you push on it?  Those are good signs that it is benign.

Even though it is probably not cancer, you are right to take it seriously.  Ask your mom to make an appointment with your primary care doctor or gynecologist so that you can have it examined.  If the doctor thinks it is a cyst, he or she can probably drain it in the office.  Otherwise, you will probably need to have a mammogram or ultrasound to determine exactly what it is.  Since you say it is big, your doctor will probably want to remove it even if it is benign. 

Jul 24, 2008 06:09AM mommybaer2 wrote:

I was just recently diagnosed with invasive lobular carcinoma.  I thought I felt something about a year and a half ago but it would be there one day, maybe the size of a grape, and then 2 days later it was the size of a pea.  Talked to my dr. about it and he examined me and said -- nothing is there you are fine.  So I went for a mammography the next month (Dec. 06), got results Jan. '07 and nothing showed up.  Went for a mammography on June 11th and was diagnosed on July 9 with cancer.  Unfortunately, this type of cancer does not show up on a mammography until it reaches a certain size.  They told me mine was 5 centimeters (2 inches).  I went for a Breast MRI and they have the results and I'm meeting with the surgeon on Tuesday (July 29) and she will tell me what needs to be done.  I keep checking for lumps in my armpit but I don't feel anything.  My breast doesn't look any different - there is no discoloration and they are not sore.  It is the waiting time that is driving me mad. 

Jul 24, 2008 09:03AM bunnybunni wrote:

hi

Im 16 years old, about to turn 17 in september. lately my breasts have been kind of itchy; it started to itch like 5 days ago. It doesnt itch like every single second tho. so then I started to take notice of my breasts, just like anything about them. I started going online and just research anything thats breast related. and I was just feeling my breasts. on my left breast there is this one thing that feels kind of different from the right breast, like the right breast doesnt have that thing there. I dont know if its a lump or what. and in terms of how hard it is, I don't really know the definition of hard, like how hard does it have to be to be considered hard? I have never really take notice of my breasts before this, so i dont know if the thing has always been there or what. i totally dont know what that is, or if its even something. Because i dont really know what normal breasts should feel like either. BUt the lump is on the upper side. and my nipples like inverted, i dont know if they have always been like that though.  I am just very worried about all this and I havnt told any of my family about this because im so scared.  ADVICE pleasee

Jul 30, 2008 05:56AM nowheregirl wrote:

bump

Dx 7/7/2005, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 1/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 15, 2009 11:49AM Kapu143 wrote:

Hello,

I am 19, I first noticed the side of my right breast (near the nipple) had a red round splotch on it.  Then after a few days I noticed a bump under the skin about the size of a pea.  When i stretch the skin to feel the bump better, the lump pertrudes a little and is pale white.  Did anyone else experience redness around their lump also? Also, how long do you all suggest I wait before i see a doctor...some people have said atleast until my next period..?

Thank you!!

May 2, 2011 12:04AM Mima wrote:

Hi I'm only 14 but I watched a programe about checking for breast cancer so natrually being cureus I checked an I've found not just 1 but a few lumps. I know this doesn't always mean cancer but recently I've looked more into it and found some other sighns of cancer but I'm too scared to tell people and it sounds stupid but I don't know wether I would want to know:/

May 2, 2011 02:35AM, edited May 2, 2011 02:36AM by kehjj04

Mima, the chances that you have breast cancer are so low, like one in a million.  When i was 13 i had my first breast scare.  My mom started talking to me very young about checking myself (maybe too young in my opinion, now that i have my own daugthers) and i came across a rubbery feeling lump about 1/2 inch to the left of my nipple.  It was about the size of a grape.  My mom took me to the Dr that she worked for immediately and he felt it and said that it was a cyst.  My mom has VERY cystic breasts as does her mother.  I know you are scared, i know that i was too at that age and embarassed to tell my mother but you have to.  Its almost unheard of that young but you need peace in your heart and you wont have it unless you go to the Dr and get it checked out.  ((hugs))

Blessed to have all B9 results in the past. Praying for all B9 findings in the future.

Jul 21, 2011 09:05PM trackstud12 wrote:

Hi,

I'm 17 years old and have a very similar situation that bballchick had a couple years ago. I have a lump that is smooth, a little smaller than a grape and is moveable. What are the chances of it being a cyst versus a benign lump? And can cysts turn cancerous?

Sep 4, 2011 07:31AM Dani3113 wrote:

Hi,

I'm 18 and have these masses in my breasts. I don't know what they might be, but I'm terrified to find out. They're large, oval shaped and flat on the bottom and top. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but they also feel more crystaline than smooth. I'm almost afraid to ask my mom to take me to the hospital, we're moving in less than a month and both her and dad are nervous enough. Should I wait until after we get settled in to talk to them, or should I risk it now? I really don't know what to do.

Sep 4, 2011 08:45AM, edited Sep 4, 2011 08:46AM by desertstorm2014

Hi Dani!  

Most breast issues are not cancer, so take a deep breath!   Do they feel smooshy or are they hard like small marbles?  They could just be cysts (smooshy), which change with your period cycle. Do they hurt when you move them? If they are hard, they could actually be something called fibroids, which is also not cancerous.  Only a doctor can tell, though - guessing is never a good idea when it comes to breasts! Your family doctor or women's doctor can easily and quickly check you out to see. 

Cysts can be worse with a lot of caffeine, just as a side note.  If you drink a ton of coffee and sodas, they will be worse. Cutting back will make a big difference.

I really think you should talk to your mom. If you were my daughter, I wouldn't want her to wait. We move all of the time, military family. We've all had stuff come up right before or right after a move, life happens! 

You are a sweet girl to think of your parents first. Sending you a hug! 

Sep 4, 2011 08:08PM Dani3113 wrote:

Thank you, Carpediem.

They are hard, and not small. They take up a large portion of space in both breasts. They don't hurt when I mess with them. I can't say anything happens around my cycle, other than some sensitivity of my nipples.

Caffeine and coffee? I don't drink either often enough to do anything. Coffee is more of a once a year thing for me. Nothing but water mostly.

I tried telling my mom today, but... the most I could get out was about how I hadn't started yet; my last cycle was 6+weeks ago. I'm a virgin so no saying I'm pregnant.. Even with that I had to take a moment to get out. I've never taken anything like this to her..

Sep 5, 2011 01:38AM desertstorm2014 wrote:

It's ok, I know it is hard to talk to your mom about this kind of stuff. My mom is a nurse and she would freak out about an medical issue in the family and over react! 

I know this sounds crazy but is it easier to write in a note? My daughter has done that for me.  Or just find a time when it is the two if you, take a deep breath, tell her that based on some stories you've read on the internet about cancer striking younger ladies, you decided to do a breast self exam and you found something that scares you and you wonder if she could get you an appt at your family doctor.

We've had younger girls out here with the same issues, I think we had one girl that was 15 and she was really afraid to talk to her mom, can you imagine?! You are a young adult, and a good girl so don't worry! 

I hope you can find a way to tell her soon - so you can be seen by a doctor you know and trust.