We are 144,850 members in 73 forums discussing 114,686 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: Urgent need Financial Aid for treatment, please help!!

Topic: Urgent need Financial Aid for treatment, please help!!

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried — Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time.

Posted on: Sep 13, 2007 11:31PM, edited Sep 13, 2007 11:31PM by CarmenDelia

CarmenDelia wrote:

Hi Breast Cancer has been in my family.  My mom had breast cancer when she was 38 (now 76).  My sister who is 34, is a 3 year survivor of breast cancer as well.  I been having mamograms every year, then every six month.  I have also had sonomamograms.  The doctors recommended a biopsy.  I am from Puerto Rico and just came to live her with my sister, she wants to help me get treatment but I have no insurance I am trying to get medicaid since I am 45 and do not have SS.  I am currently working at Marshalls but is a part time job and I do not get insurance benefits.  Unfortunatelly I do not have an education that would allow me to get a better job.  My sister is being trying to get information through different agencies but so far I have not qualify either because of my age or for the fact that the programs are preventive and not like my case that I have a biopsy recommended.  Please, Please can someone guide me on how to get some financial help.  Thanks Carmen.

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Sep 14, 2007 01:49PM WorriedMary wrote:

Hi Carmen,

I hear you loud and clear. I also had a similar situation. I do not have any medical coverage but I contacted my state health department and explained my situation. You can see my post "Axillary Lymph Node." They, in turn, referred me to a local planned parenthood clinic. They have programs that are funded and sometimes you qualify for free or reduced plans. I was able to qualify for a free program. Perhaps you may find something similar in your state. I don't know where you are located otherwise I would have tried to find you some information. I am also just about your age, 46, and I qualified for a program called "Healthy Woman 50+ Program." You can research it on the net or follow the link so you can read on it and perhaps your state has something similar. I do not work and I only put my husband's income. Since you work but don't make enough money there may be other choices for you.

I hope everything works out for you. Stay in touch.

Mary

http://www.health.state.pa.us/php/HW/default.htm

Sep 14, 2007 01:55PM FitChik wrote:

Carmen...I'm so sorry that your post hasn't been answered yet....we're all still getting used to the new format on these boards! Anyway, I'm not sure where you live, but maybe if you call the Social Service Dept. of your local county hospital/medical center, they can steer you in the right direction. You can also call organizations like Susan G. Komen, the American Cancer Society or Y-ME (1-800-221-2141 OR, for Spanish-speaking: 1-800-986-9505) and see if they can give you some good resources. If you need a biopsy, you should have one, regardless of insurance or ability to pay. I believe that county hospitals all receive Federal funding to provide free services to those who don't qualify for benefits and can't pay haelth costs themselves. And maybe another poster will come along soon with other ideas too. In the meantime, try those....and let us know how it goes!

~Marin

"Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim." ~Nora Ephron

Sep 15, 2007 06:54PM, edited Sep 15, 2007 07:06PM by beulah333

Hi Carmen-

I'm a mental health social worker, and a big part of my job is finding funding where there isn't any!   Many hospitals, esp. the ones affiliated with a religious organization, have 'indigent funds'.  Basically if you qualify as low-income according to their criteria they will write off part of or all of your medical bills.  Hospitals have social workers that will guide you through the process.  I'd recommend the nearest "St." hospital in your community.  You can also call your county's department of human services and you'll be given some resources for no cost or low cost medical care.  Hope that helps.  Oh, and remember 'pap' programs...pharmaceutical aid programs where you can apply for free meds.  Budgets are tight these days but remember...the squeaky wheel gets the grease!  Be persistant, don't give up, ask lots of questions wherever you can.  Best wishes.  There is money out there.  

Sep 19, 2007 11:39AM CarmenDelia wrote:

Thanks so much to all of you,  your advise gave me a lot of hope and I will contact the agencies you recommended.  I will keep you posted on how this goes.  I will also keep all of you in my prayers.  Like beulah333 said, "there is money out there" and God will help me get treatment.

Carmen

Sep 19, 2007 06:45PM Bren-2007 wrote:

HI Carmen,

Every state has a program called The Cervical and Breast Cancer Screening Program.  It is free and you can check into at the health department in your area.  This program is government funded and provides for you to have a cervical checkup and mammogram and biopsy for free.  If cancer is detected, Medicaid will automatically be provided for all further treatment and medication.  The program is for uninsured people who are either working or working and making under a certain amount of money. 

I am self-employed and without insurance.  I accidentally stumbled on this program in my area and it saved my life. 

Good luck to you.

Brenda

Jan 17, 2008 04:09PM Debbie47 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am new to chat rooms but find myself needing some help.  I have been going thru treatment for breast cancer and am now over whelmed by the bills... my insurance is not the greatest -does anyone have any suggestions???

Thanx

Jan 17, 2008 11:27PM iodine wrote:

Debbie,  I hope you will start a new post or conversation just for you, I'm afraid the gals who know about this stuff won't see your inquiry here.

Please go to the treatment board and post there.  There's a place a the top of each board listing of threads that says something like start a new conversation. 

Click there and put your question in the title and then info about yourself so that the $$ gals can help you, OK?

Dotti---BE NOT AFRAID, Pope John Paul

Jan 18, 2008 01:23AM chemo072 wrote:

My experience of applying for and getting financial aid is on my blog.  Hope that helps, best wishes with it all!

Jan 18, 2008 01:22PM badboob67 wrote:

Someone on the bcmets list offered this link today that may be of help:

http://www.coverageforall.org/

When you're down to nothing, GOD is up to something! http://bb67.wikispaces.com/

Dx 2/15/2006, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 24/27 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-