We are 144,816 members in 73 forums discussing 114,658 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: Node or Nodule

Topic: Node or Nodule

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried — Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time.

Posted on: Apr 17, 2008 08:59AM

ByGODsGrace wrote:

I'll make this a quickie........this was on my last thread but has seemed to trail behind and I am really curious as to if there's a diference between the two. My doctor was feeling the areas I mentioned I thought were somewhat enlarged lymph nodes and she said she felt nodule. My new mammogram and US is set up in a couple of weeks with my existing film in the mail at the Hollings Cancer Center. It just really dawned on me the day after my visit that she said nodule and not node.

Thanks for your time and GOD Bless everyone here.

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Apr 17, 2008 10:37AM flower123 wrote:

Hi! I don't know if this will help, but this is a definition of nodule: A small solid collection of tissue, a nodule is palpable (can be felt). It may range in size from greater than 1.0 cm (3/8 inch) to somewhat less than 2 cm (13/16 inch) in diameter. A nodule may be present in the epidermis, dermis or subcutis (at any level in the skin).

The word "nodule" is the diminutive of "node" (a knot or knob) so a "nodule" means "a little knot or knob."

So, I think that a nodule would mean that it is not a lymph node. I could be wrong though so maybe someone can clarify?

Apr 17, 2008 11:27AM ByGODsGrace wrote:

Thanks Flower for your response. I was thinking that also, but wasn't sure. And actually hoping they were the same, better odds that away. Sometimes it's still hard to decipher the medical lango even on the internet. If this is true that it's not the same a lymph node then I have now 2 nodules in my breast. :( I have finally manage to tell the difference in my lymph nodes as far as the soft rubber ones versus the hard firm ones. Makes a difference, especially when you have large lumpy breast to begin with. I was starting to panic because I could feel several in different areas of soft rubber ones, but the hard firm lymph nodes I have only found 3 and their all close to the area of the nodule the doctor recently found. This is becoming really scary. If I do get dx, the treatments are rough enough on the body. My concern is the kidneys are what expells the chemo/radiation for the most part and I only have one left that has a 1.5-2 cm cyst in the middle. I have no idea what perdictament this will put this kidney in.

I sure do need to find something else to think about.

Thanks again and GOD Bless