We are 144,987 members in 73 forums discussing 114,800 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: did anybody else have pain near the ribs?

Topic: did anybody else have pain near the ribs?

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Nov 7, 2007 03:07PM, edited Nov 7, 2007 03:07PM by emilykahl

emilykahl wrote:

I'm 28 with stage IIIC breast cancer and I had a bilateral mastectomy (right MRM, left simple) two months ago and just finished 33 radiation treatments. For about four weeks I've had a localized, insistent pain about halfway down my chest on my left side, near/on (?) the ribs, especially when I stretch. I asked both my radiology oncologist and my regular oncologist and they both said something vague about muscle tension after surgery. But I'm pretty much nervous round-the-clock these days. Did anybody else have this kind of pain after surgery?

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Nov 7, 2007 03:10PM, edited Nov 7, 2007 03:12PM by sueps

Emily...I have had that type of pain... since going back to work last week and doing 'more' I had my surgery on 9th Oct ....the pain is achey on the rib area...my doctor checked me over today and said everything was OK....I take painkillers if it is really draggy...Hope this is of some help xxx  (it feels bruised and I need to rub it but my skin is numb)

FOLLOWING THE YELLOW BRICKROAD WITH MY WONDERFUL SISTERS!

Dx 9/10/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/14 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Nov 7, 2007 03:54PM zap wrote:

Emily,

I have a lumpectomy and had the pain in my ribs and it sounded like what you describe. My doctor suggested it was the radiation that caused the"bruised" pain feeling.  I had it for nearly a month and worried a lot.  Now no pain!

Susan 

Nov 7, 2007 04:43PM emilykahl wrote:

Thanks you two... that will help me worry less. I was, of course, up at night with a vision of a great big tumor sitting on/in my rib. I suppose it will take quite a long time before I don't freak out about every little tiny pain! I have my first post-treatment PET scan next month and will feel better (hopefully!) when that comes back clear.

-Emily

Nov 7, 2007 05:09PM sueps wrote:

emily...bless you xxx I am in the same position , starting on this journey and learning to live with it. These boards are a fantastic help..Please let us know how your scan goes...I will be thinking of you...

Much Love xxx

FOLLOWING THE YELLOW BRICKROAD WITH MY WONDERFUL SISTERS!

Dx 9/10/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/14 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Nov 7, 2007 06:26PM sharebear wrote:

I have just recently developed that pain. I know it's not cancer cuz I've completed all my scans and I'm clear. I've recently been stretching a little more on that side. Just started sleeping with my arm under my pillow again. I guess the muscle stretch makes sense.

Nov 7, 2007 07:01PM Beesie wrote:

I've been having that too and I've been researching it.  It seems that at least for those of us who've had mastectomies, there's a whole bunch of side muscles that get cut, leading down from under the breast to the ribs and beyond.  I find that it doesn't take much - even just an ordinary stretch or reaching movement - to stress these muscles.  Obviously these muscles have been compromised through the surgery.  It can take weeks for the pain to completely go away, and often the pain sort of shifts around as I compensate in the way that I move to try to avoid the pain.  I'm two years post-surgery and frankly, this is a pain in the butt!

Dx 9/15/05, DCIS-MI, 6cm+ Gr3 DCIS w/IDC microinvasion, Stage I, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR- “No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Nov 7, 2007 08:06PM Fireweed wrote:

I had over two months of chest wall/rib pain after rads and was amazed when it suddenly went away!

Fireweed

Dx 6/1/2007, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+

Nov 7, 2007 08:59PM Aponi wrote:

I had a MRM in the spring of 2006 & my ribs have hurt ever since. Doc told me when you have a MRM lots of people have their hands in your chest during the surgery & maybe it's from that. Hopefully it'll suddenly go away for all of us! Smile

Aponi

Dx 2006, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIb, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Nov 10, 2007 10:00PM michmom wrote:

I too had rib pain after my mastectomy.  Jokingly I told my ps that i thought he had broken one of my ribs (he didn't think that was funny).  He gave me stretching exercises to do which helped.