Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage IV MBC with Type 2 Diabetes

Options
scarlettx
scarlettx Member Posts: 8

I was diagnosed May 21, 2021 with metastatic breast cancer that has spread to my chest. In addition, I have type 2 diabetes. I've noticed that since starting iBrance and Letrozole my blood sugars are running high. I'm curious if anyone else in the same situation has experienced this as well. I'm also in a clinical trial, so it may be because of the trial med, but it was not listed as one of the side effects.

Comments

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited February 2022
    Options

hi scarlettx, just wanted to welcome you to the board. Sorry you find yourself here. Are your mets to the lung? We have a lung mets thread.

Seems hormonal therapies can cause diabetes so blood sugar increase makes sense too ... there's a BCO article about it here https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/link-be...

Letrozole might be your culprit.

We also have a clinical trials thread if you want to share what trial you're on. https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topics/...

• malebreastc
    malebreastc Member Posts: 89
    edited February 2022
    Options

Scarlettx- I am on Ibrance and Faslodex and have type 2 diabetes, I am on my 3rd cycle, so far stable sugars, but could be early due to 3 cycles only.

• scarlettx
    edited February 2022
    Options

Thank you, moth. It hasn't went to my lungs, but it's in my chest cavity on the outside of my esophogus. I will definitely check out the article and the clinical trial forum.

• scarlettx
    edited February 2022
    Options

Hi MaleBreastC. So glad your sugars are stable so far, hopefully that continues. I'm on my 7th cycle, things were stable at first, but over the last month/month and a half my sugars are running between 200-300, and I'm on insulin. I haven't changed how I eat, so the meds is all I can think of that it may be. I wish you the best on your journey!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,171
    edited February 2022
    Options

I’m T2, been on insulin pump about 12 years. Been on ibrance letrozole about 2 years. Haven’t changed diet at all my a1c keeps dropping, was 5.6 last month. Can’t blame the meds.