Topic: What are your PTSD symptoms?

Forum: Mental Health: Because Cancer Doesn't Just Affect Your Breasts — Meet and support others who are affected by these issues around anxiety, depression & other emotional effects.

Posted on: Jul 24, 2009 08:44PM - edited Jul 25, 2009 04:12AM by leaf

Posted on: Jul 24, 2009 08:44PM - edited Jul 25, 2009 04:12AM by leaf

leaf wrote:

What are your PTSD symptoms? 

When I'm having a bad attack, my symptoms include: I cringe, bend (a partial attempt to roll into a ball) and hold my breath.

Are these common symptoms? 

Classic LCIS.If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them- Isaac Asimov Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, ER+/PR- Surgery 1/24/2006 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 7/15/2006 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 3 (29 results)

Jul 24, 2009 09:47PM cmharris59 wrote:

My sister had symptoms like that and her doctor told her that it was a form of panic attack.

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." ~ Dorothy Parker Dx 6/8/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Jul 25, 2009 04:09AM - edited Oct 28, 2009 02:24PM by leaf

This Post was deleted by leaf.
Classic LCIS.If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them- Isaac Asimov Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, ER+/PR- Surgery 1/24/2006 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 7/15/2006 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jul 25, 2009 05:18PM cmharris59 wrote:

Leaf,

I hope that you can get more answers soon. Are you taking anything for the PTSD?

I was prescribed Buspar first, then Xanax, Paxil and Buspar to control my panic attacks. My sister has been on Effexor and said that the Buspar helped her for a little while then she seemed ot become immmune to it.  Just wondering what they are trying to do to help you right now. 

I finally went to see a psychiatrist to get the right cocktail. Now I am searching for a therapist to help me work thru these issues. 

Good luck on Tuesday! I will be thinking about you. I am hoping that someone else will post here and can maybe give you  more information.

C

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." ~ Dorothy Parker Dx 6/8/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Jul 26, 2009 02:31AM cmharris59 wrote:

My symptoms have been insomnia, nightmares, panic attacks that can last for days and/or hours as opposed to minutes, and symptoms of extreme stress.  My panic attacks consist of me breaking into a sweat, heart pounding and an overwhelming intense fear. Mine have been so bad that I have been confined to my bed afraid to answer the phone, to call for help, to boot up the laptop, even to pick up the remote control for the TV.  Forget about going outside or having any human interaction. I had trouble just trying to figure out how to step into the bathroom to relieve myself; I could not go the kitchen to fix a drink or meal. I felt an overwhelming fear that something awful would happen if I did. I live alone and these attacks seemed very severe. My psychiatrist agreed stating that most panic attacks are over within 30 mins. He said that mine although classic in symptom were rare in duration. 

It took me three months to get diagnosed. Good luck to you.

C

Jul 26, 2009 02:40AM - edited Oct 20, 2009 01:42AM by leaf

Jul 26, 2009 01:49PM pabbie wrote:

Leaf, I also just changed to sertraline (zoloft). My psych thought it would help with my hot flashes.

I'm still really jumpy. If someone comes up behind me; I always look behind me to make sure no one comes up quit to me. For people other than my husband it feels embarrassing.

And I also have the insomnia.

Good luck & take care.

March 2021 Recurrence May 2017 Recurrent 1.1 centimeter IDC with multiple foci, treated with surgery & Aromasin. Dx 2/6/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 2/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/22/2014 Mastectomy: Right Dx 1/23/2014, IDC, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 5/4/2017, IDC, Right, 1cm, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 26, 2009 07:16PM susan_CNY wrote:

I take 20 mg citalopram twice a day and .5 alprazolam 3 times a day, seems to be helping a bit. I go into fetal position to sleep and jump at a mere touch (forgot what an orgasm is since my colon cancer) do not even touch my shoulder , back or elbow on affected side, watch out if you do, my elbow and knees could kill, best sleep I have is during the day if I am lucky and alone, I take the zanax, lock the doors and hope for 2 hours

dx 4/1984 cervical /hyst 10/2002 stage 2 colon /hemi-colectomy/5FU and Leukovorin chemo 11/2003 stage 1 bc tumor 1.6 grade 3 no nodes, possible vascular invasion / lumpectomy and rads 7/2009 lumpectomy found to be benign

Jul 26, 2009 11:10PM - edited Oct 20, 2009 01:43AM by leaf

Jul 27, 2009 06:46PM cleomoon wrote:

Leaf,

I will be thinking of you tomorrow. My stomach cringed when I read your post. I get nauseous, and hold my breath. I want to curl up in a ball. I feel unsafe and feel the need to escape. I dissociate.

I had a biopsy on a mole last Thurs and I felt the fear and did get scared. It helped a little bit to tell myself that what I am experiencing today is not what I experienced in the past. I also told myself I would be ok. I noted the differences between the current situation and the past ones.

I shared that I had anxiety and PTSD issues with the nurse. I was still emotionally exhausted after the appt and had to do my best to ground myself.

Jul 28, 2009 01:01AM - edited Jul 28, 2009 01:03AM by leaf

Thank you, cleomoon.

My therapist suggested  that I use 'non-loaded' terms to describe my reactions, such as 'involuntary contracture' for my cringing.

One option is to try handle stressful things with humor. I was reading an autobiography of Karen Duffy, who has a very serious, unusual disease (she was partly paralyzed) and was in the hospital for months in her 30s- she decided to handle it with humor.  They had trouble diagnosing her for at least months.   She decided to wear a 'local beauty queen' tiara and cha-cha shoes in the hospital.  She hung a picture of Dr. Kevorkian above her bed, and told the numerous doctors that if they didn't figure out what was going on, she was going to consult Dr. Kevorkian next.  One doctor commented that Dr. Kevorkian was a poor pathologist, and another doctor tore up her Dr. Kevorkian picture.  (Ms. Duffy was very amused at that.)

I at least partly succeeded at changing my name at the hospital to 'No Info', so my co-workers won't know the meds I am on.  (That is my biggest worry.)  I doubt  if I'll have the nerve to be No Info Secret Agent (or some other persona) for an hour, but its fun to think about.

Thank you all again.

Page 1 of 3 (29 results)

Scroll to top button