Topic: Please share tips, big and small, that help you.

Forum: Mental Health: Because Cancer Doesn't Just Affect Your Breasts — Meet and support others who are affected by these issues around anxiety, depression & other emotional effects.

Posted on: Dec 30, 2010 09:52AM

Posted on: Dec 30, 2010 09:52AM

MissBianca wrote:

What do you find that works for you? To lift your mood, to feel better about yourself, cope mentally, lotions you use for scars/skin issues, supplements, diet, how you deal with out of control chemo curl. etc. Right now my private little sessions in my bedroom with Netflix workouts on my computer are helping. Please share, ladies.

Hope is the dream of a soul awake.

Page 3 of 3 (25 results)

Jan 16, 2011 02:38PM MissBianca wrote:

If it laughs like a hyena, bites like a hyena, and travels in a hyena pack...chances are, it's a hyena. If you are not a hyena, don't drink from the same watering hole.

Reach for the heavens, and reach out to those that carry the love and light of God in their hearts. That is the best medicine for depression I have found.

Jan 16, 2011 07:15PM ginadmc wrote:

My husband and I adopted a NO DRAMA policy upon my diagnosis. We did not allow anyone to vampire us with their drama, negative energy or bad attitude. I worked throughout chemo, walked my dog every day, drank tons of water and rested when I needed to. I felt that walking my dog was an important "therapy" for me. Even if I didn't feel like walking, I knew he needed a walk, too. I always felt better when I got home. I did not journal per se but I did keep track of how I was feeling during chemo and rads. When I felt sad/down about the SEs, treatments, I made list of what I hated about BC from head to toe. It helped. I also made a list of blessings and things to be thankful for. Another list for the nice things people did for me...flowers, food, cards, etc. Retail therapy helps, too! Gina

Gina Dx 12/8/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 3/17 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 1/13/2010 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Surgery 1/27/2010 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 2/15/2010 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 6/29/2010 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 8/31/2010 Dx 12/10/2013, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 1/15/2014 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 2/16/2014 Breast

Jan 22, 2011 06:25PM denise1953jurne wrote:

Hi  Today is 1st day here and this is my 1st post. I have been alone alot of years with only a few left in family in other states. Beings I am also a Hurricane Katrina Survivor,(among others), I have had to learn to find support in other places. Online help is a huge help to me, in the past and now I have to add another form, positive for BC. When I found out Jan 10 2011, I couldn't find any feelings. I went online to my FB acct and there was a post from YouTube with a link to a song "Somewhere" by Barbra Streisand. From there I went to others and was able to start to feel. I have some Cherokee in my background and I found some spiritual music by them. I took a trip into the music, not on drugs of course, but to let the music infiltrate my body. Was kinda like riding on it or in it like a wave. I have always used something of this nature to empty my mind of the troubles and fill it (evenso temporary at times) with something more feeling related to myself. I sometimes play it loud so it seems as if it enters my cells, spirit, memory, or whatever wording feels good to you, and I can replay/recall/remember it when I need it at my command.

Again, this is my 1st post, I just found out the 10th of this month and in need of tips, support, etc. myself.    

Dx 1/10/2011, IDC, Grade 1

Jan 23, 2011 01:52PM MissBianca wrote:

Dear Denise, I'm so sorry about this month's news. You must be reeling from shock, and it is numbing. I'm glad you have found us. You have been through so much, my husband is from LA, and when he went back to see his parents, he couldn't believe the devastation. You had to face that alone, and now this...

Music speaks to our spirits like nothing else. It is its own language.

Here is a link to Somewhere with Barbra Streisand. Such a beautiful song from West Side Story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAu3a7CMA84

There were songs that really helped carry me in my very lowest moments.

Here is Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen sung by kd lang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_NpxTWbovE

The other is Only Hope by Switchfoot. My favorite video is a slideshow where I could meditate on the lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kC3r_poOl8

Feb 12, 2011 05:13PM zz2c wrote:

If you are going through chemo, try anything with ginger.  Ginger beer, ginger cake, ginger biscuits, crystalized ginger is fantastic as you can just suck on it, put ginger in stirfrys, chocolate covered ginger.  It removes nausea really really well.  It also helps digestion.  Hope that helps.

Page 3 of 3 (25 results)

Scroll to top button