Join Us

We are 224,997 members in 83 forums discussing 163,837 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Forum: Mental Health: Because Cancer Doesn't Just Affect Your Breasts —

Meet and support others who are affected by these issues around anxiety, depression & other emotional effects.

Posted on: Apr 8, 2011 11:45AM - edited Apr 2, 2018 02:30PM by sas-schatzi

sas-schatzi wrote:

Welcome. This is called the insomnia thread, but we post 24/7/365. We call ourselves Owlettes :)

No nastiness, bullying, stalking or such allowed. I would like to keep the kind fabric of this thread intact.

Discussion will flow where it will as all threads do. This will be a happy place. I hope with lots of laughing. Talk of things, needs, rants as your mood or thoughts take you. Each person here has a history of helping others. Threads develop pseudo family groups. Fancy way to say we become like family. This family will have all the best a family has to offer, but none of the negatives.

May help with sleeplessness: circadian rhythm, melatonin--pub med evidence based research. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21476953 Agometaline is approved for use in Europe/Australia for insomnia. It is NOT approved in the USA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agomelatine

How to naturally reset circadian rhythm with food : http://www.wisebread.com/how-to-naturally-reset-your-sleep-cycle-overnight

Article connecting insomnia and depression. It's a chicken egg thing-..............-insomnia <-----> depression.

http://blog.aarp.org/2013/12/02/is-curing-insomnia-key-to-curing-depression/?intcmp=AE-ENDART1-BL-REL

Second Sleep---The NORMAL for humans before the light bulb http://slumberwise.com/science/your-ancestors-didnt-sleep-like-you/

Autonomic dysfunction: http://www.holistichelp.net/dysautonomia-autonomic-nervous-system-dysfunction.html

BCO Member Notself's three day plan: 1. Get doc script for sleep aid, at lowest dose. 2. Set sleep time. 3. Take pill 1/2 hr to 1 hr before set time. 4. Do this for three days; 5. Should sleep on fourth night.. 6. Repeat steps 1-5 if sleeplessness has lasted more than one night.

Don'ts that are known to cause sleeplessness: Alcohol, coffee, chocolate, looking at computer screens before bedtime, sex and exersize(variable by person); Do's that promote sleep: Sex and exersize(variable by person) , book reading, foot massage, aromatherapy, sleepy teas. After dinner walk(variable).

Link to Warm & Fuzzy's (W&F) thread: Warm & fuzzy owls, goats, kitties, dogs, birds ETC. PICS &LINKS

For all our dear Sisters .........

Image result for prayer for protection friend

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting "holy crap....what a ride".

Page 1502 of 1,503 (45,061 results)

Posts 45031 - 45060 (45,061 total)

Sep 1, 2020 10:04PM Loveroflife wrote:

Our last visit in January. I love her Irish porcelain skin and beautiful smile. I miss you my Sis. Love you forever. Until we meet again....

My grace is sufficient for you, My strength is made perfect in weakness. 2 Cor 12:9. Dx 8/25/2014, DCIS, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR- Surgery 9/16/2014 Mastectomy: Left Dx 10/13/2014, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 1/12/2015 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Surgery 5/13/2015 Reconstruction (left): Saline implant

Sep 1, 2020 10:19PM Loveroflife wrote:

Oh Kath, so good to “see” you. How are you doing? How are your kids? My older is not doing well with the shelter in place. My confident bubbly child needs to be around people. She has developed depression since March. Currently seeing a counselor. My younger one is a home body like me. So far she is ok. I thank God that she is still able to swim and able to socialize from a distance with her friends on the team. So many people are affected mentally by this pandemic. Hubby was down for awhile too until his work was considered essential. I have been hiding from BCO after Susan and Mags passed away. Too sad and painful.
Thank you for praying for Sherry and her family.

My grace is sufficient for you, My strength is made perfect in weakness. 2 Cor 12:9. Dx 8/25/2014, DCIS, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR- Surgery 9/16/2014 Mastectomy: Left Dx 10/13/2014, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 1/12/2015 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Surgery 5/13/2015 Reconstruction (left): Saline implant

Sep 1, 2020 10:43PM JWoo wrote:

lover-

I am so sorry to hear this news.

Wishing her a painless passing, and peace for her loved ones.

I really hate cancer.

Sep 2, 2020 12:50AM Loveroflife wrote:

Jwoo, thank you for your kind words. When I spoke to her mom today, she mentioned that they are trying to keep Shep comfortable. She has been sleeping most of the time. I did not expect her to respond to me when her mom put her on the phone, but she did. Very few words spoken. Can’t believe she was worried about me being sad. Told her it’s ok to let go. Selfless friend.

Sep 2, 2020 02:31PM Loveroflife wrote:

My sweet Friend has transitioned. Heart is broken, but at the same time is grateful that she is no longer suffering. May she rest in eternal peace where there is no more pain and suffering.

I love you my Friend. I will miss your many silly stories, humor, and giggles. Until we meet again, behave yourself. Give Susan, Mags, Patty, and our other friends who have gone before us a hug for me.

Sep 2, 2020 02:32PM - edited Sep 2, 2020 02:36PM by Loveroflife

💔

Sep 2, 2020 03:46PM kathindc wrote:

RIP dear Shep. You fought a gallant fight. You will be missed by man. Praying for strength for your family. 💔💔

Sep 2, 2020 04:03PM JWoo wrote:

Safe journey, Shepkitty. ❤️ Say hello to all our wonderful Insomniacs.

I'm so sorry, Lover.

I really hate cancer.

Sep 6, 2020 03:34PM M0mmyof3 wrote:

Oh man! I’ll pray for her and her family.

If you value your freedom, thank a servicemember both serving and retired!

Sep 9, 2020 07:15AM - edited Sep 12, 2020 08:29AM by Teka

This Post was deleted by Teka.
Note to self: I don't have to take this day all at once, but rather, one step, one breath, one moment at a time. I am only one person. Things will get done when they get done.

Sep 9, 2020 08:14PM CeliaC wrote:

Lover - So sorry to hear of ShepKitty's passing. I remember PM'g her and hoping to visit her one day. Not sure if the Susan who passed was the one who lived outside of Boston and had an AirBnB. If so, very sorry to hear of her passing as well. I do remember Mags and LIta, as well.

May all of their memories be for a blessing.

Dx 12/2/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/20/2016 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 2/20/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 4/4/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 11, 2020 07:23AM - edited Sep 12, 2020 08:30AM by Teka

This Post was deleted by Teka.
Note to self: I don't have to take this day all at once, but rather, one step, one breath, one moment at a time. I am only one person. Things will get done when they get done.

Sep 30, 2020 02:44AM tangandchris wrote:

I am so very sorry to hear about Shepkitty.

I used to spend alot of time on this thread and have seen too many pass.

Does anyone hear from Sas?

My reconstruction with TE's failed...had them removed because of infection. I am still unsure of if or when I will try again. Dx 10/24/2013, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 6/25 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/22/2013 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 2/12/2014 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Dx 10/2020, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/other, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 30, 2020 07:48AM M0mmyof3 wrote:

We finally got some much needed rain last night and early this morning. At one point you could literally hear it coming down in a downpour. Hope this starts putting a dent in our drought situation here.

Nov 14, 2020 07:12AM feelingfeline wrote:

Very sorry to hear of the loss of ShepKitty. May God comfort her grieving family and friends. May ShepKitty be received home with unimaginable joy.

Dx 1/20/2012, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, 3/22 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 2/8/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 4/3/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 7/31/2012 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 8/6/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 8/1/2015 Aromasin (exemestane)

Nov 14, 2020 10:46AM M0mmyof3 wrote:

I am amazed at myself. Only been crocheting for a few weeks and I have two projects completed!

Dec 19, 2020 10:48AM feelingfeline wrote:

Well done!

Dx 1/20/2012, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, 3/22 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 2/8/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 4/3/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 7/31/2012 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 8/6/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 8/1/2015 Aromasin (exemestane)

Dec 21, 2020 04:56AM M0mmyof3 wrote:

Working on an afghan for my bed for summer now.

Apr 23, 2021 10:21AM Moderators wrote:

Just bumping this, to see if we can activate this thread again.

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Apr 23, 2021 05:15PM karen1956 wrote:

Happy to join in any discussions - insomnia is my middle name!!!

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

Apr 24, 2021 02:19PM M0mmyof3 wrote:

Took a little break from here because I have been a bit swamped with things. My latest crochet project now that the afghan is done is a crocheted recliner cover.

May 10, 2021 06:09PM JWoo wrote:

Hey everyone-

Hard to believe it's already halfway through May!

Hope your are all doing well, and your families, too.

_ jeni

I really hate cancer.

May 20, 2021 10:05AM M0mmyof3 wrote:

Doing fine here

Jul 8, 2021 08:47PM Pawprint wrote:

it’s been awhile since I logged in. Not sure there is much activity in this thread anymore. Hope you are all doing well

Dx 6/10/2010, ILC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/13/2010 Mastectomy: Left, Right Hormonal Therapy 8/19/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 11/6/2010 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Jul 13, 2021 11:57PM JWoo wrote:

M0mmyof2- glad to hear y'all are well, and hope summer is being kind to you.
Pawprint- I used to have 400 notifications from this thread on a daily basis, and just as many laughs to go with. I see a few ppl here and there on the threads, but, I think we all just had the wind knocked out of us with losing so many friends here in a short time. At least, that is what happened to me. I pop in once every couple of months or so to see what people are up to. Hope you and yours are enjoying life!
I really hate cancer.

Jul 14, 2021 03:01AM M0mmyof3 wrote:

Doing ok but getting too much rain. Its been hard to get any yard work done.

Aug 13, 2021 02:05AM ChrisJack1 wrote:

Trazodone really works and it's not an anticholinergic so you don't increase your risk of dementia in the future either. Take it earlier before bed and wind down if you get a bit of a hangover from it in the morning. Ambien doesn't work for me. Xanax does for a few hours but I'm loathe to take it unless I must, for the obvious reasons being a benzo.

If your mind is the whirling problem, try Miette's Bedtime Story Podcast and fire up "Little Cloud" by James Joyce. Miette's a professional reader w a lovely English (not Queen's) accent and she's great. You kind of get lost in the words. The best stories are somewhat convoluted and help you lose your place, distract you, and cause you to crash a bit better.

I'm really not looking forward to the estrogen suppressants/blockers in my future. Insomnia has been a nightmare for over 20 yrs. Gosh knows what this will do to me.

Nighty night everyone🤣🤣🤣

Biopsy 6/2021: Lft breast - Invasive carcinoma w/ ductal & lobular features. Foci suspicious for lympthovascular invasion, grade 2. Estrogen R pos. at 99%. HER2 neg. Unilateral MX w/ TE sub-pec scheduled for 9/16/21 Dx 6/17/2021, ILC/IDC, Left, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/16/2021 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy Surgery Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery

Nov 25, 2021 05:22AM M0mmyof3 wrote:

Happy Thanksgiving all! Kind of feeling gypped as my birthday and Thanksgiving are on the same day today.

Nov 25, 2021 06:08PM - edited Nov 25, 2021 07:08PM by gailmary

happy birthday, Mom of 3. I'd feel gyped too. Maybe not so bad if there is family that loves. I hope it turned out good.

Family's kinda small here and I chose to pretend it was just another Thursday. That's when I quilt with friends. Only 2 available to join me today. Usually 4 others.

Gailmary

Dx 11/25/2008, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 2/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 4/13/2017, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant), Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy

Nov 25, 2021 07:06PM - edited Nov 25, 2021 07:08PM by gailmary

I see the moderators bumped this thread for us. I'm guessing they thought some of us are still not sleeping and may care to discuss it. I've posted in the past and all I've tried for insomnia. I am convinced the biggest cause is the lack of estrogen as my sleeplessness has been terrible since hysterectomy 38 years ago.

I'd say I've tried everything but that's not true. I have not tried neurofeedback or any kind of cognitive behavior therapy. I have tried melatonin but I get restless legs. I have used benadryl 15 years till it quit working. I am allergic to Ambien. A little tea or essential oils do nothing. I had pretty good luck with herbal supplement blend called Deep Sleep.. it has valerian root, passionflower, California poppy and other herbs. There are actually a number of blends available I'd try first.

i tried cbd oil but that didn't last long. I wondered if it wasn't more a placebo. THC is not legal here even though I have my Dr's blessing to experiment with it all I want. He warned me it could make me a little loopy. I didn't tell him that I remember that about it. I don't remember it making me sleepy. I need serious help. and I don't want more drugs

A few months ago I found relief. Unless there is some real cr*p on my mind, I'm sleeping 7 or 8 hours a night! I'm using 2 different cannabinoids. Or compounds found in cannabis. Cbd and thc are the 2 best known.

But I'm using half a gummy of Delta 8 THC ( not the Delta 9 thc that makes you loopy) and BCP or beta-caryophyllene found in Copaiba essential oil. I use Doterras little softgels.

If you are interested in trying either of these, do some research to see what to expect. You might need only 1 or the other of these. BCP is actually in a product called Sleep ASAP. And I hear Delta 8 is legal even where thc 9 is not. Sleeping nearly 3 months now. I hope it doesn't quit soon, but I hear CBN is good for sleep too, so maybe that's what is next.

I hope this helps many of you. And I hope you had a great Thanksgiving .

Gailmary

Dx 11/25/2008, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 2/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 4/13/2017, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant), Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy

Page 1502 of 1,503 (45,061 results)