Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

The Pink is a Liar! Fight Pinkwashing Using Social Media

Options

We all HATE the way Breast Cancer is prostituted for profit. We have had enough of the breastploitation of an incurable disease that affects men and women. Breast cancer is treated as a joke by those unaffected. We know living with BC at any stage is so, so very hard. We live with the fear that dying from Metastatic BC is so, so very easy.

This topic is open to all stages as well as caregivers. There will be no discussions. The intent of this thread is to create a "resource center" for members to find or share images and quotes to be posted on social media sites to educate the public with factual information and provide links to genuine non-profit organizations committed to raising funds for research. Organizations that truly offer helpful support and/or services for BC patients will be promoted here as well.

Please post pinkwashing products on the Pinktober Revolution discussion or similar themed thread.

Check out and please contribute any good finds to ShetlandPony's thread - Looking for Pinktober Alternative buttons, shirts, charities

Many businesses have their Pinktober campaigns all over Facebook, Twitter and other sites. Post info that you see below or something of your own on those sites . Print copies to tape/tack up in local businesses. Let offending businesses know how you feel. No nastiness, no scenes.... stay calm, stay polite (it can be hard, yes) and tell the facts.

Post on accounts belonging to celebrities who are publicly making statements about BC. Julia Louis-Dreyfus has these accounts; Twitter , FaceBook , Instagram

We have the numbers - We can make a difference.

*Charities to promote:

Metavivor.org... Metup.org....Sharecancersupport.org.... Bcaction.org....Breastcancer.org....MBCalliance.org....MBCN.org....

* Any others?

Comments

• shepkitty
    shepkitty Member Posts: 878
    edited October 2017
    Options

• Loveroflife
    Loveroflife Member Posts: 4,243
    edited October 2017
    Options

Mbcalliance.org??

• Loveroflife
    edited October 2017
    Options

• Loveroflife
    edited October 2017
    Options

• Beatmon
    Beatmon Member Posts: 617
    edited October 2017
    Options

these are great..Thank yiu

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited October 2017
    Options

I posted 2 but cannot find any appropriately on topic to post here for resharing.

There was a thread a few years ago w like memes and cannot find it.

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,051
    edited October 2017
    Options

• Freya
    Freya Member Posts: 329
    edited October 2017
    Options

We are more than a damn brand for someone to make money out of.

• shepkitty
    edited October 2017
    Options

Great Stuff ~ Keep it Coming!

• traveltext
    edited October 2017
    Options

aimage

Notice there's no indication of how much from each sale is donated.

• shepkitty
    edited October 2017
    Options

Petitioning SEER and CDC Division of Cancer Prevention and Control

Start Counting ALL People Living With Metastatic Breast Cancer!

Metastatic Breast Cancer Alliance

Click Below To Help

Spread the word about metastatic breast cancer

YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENC SHARE A FACT�

Increase support for �metastatic breast cancer research

SIGN THE PETITION �

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hate Pinktober! We all deserve better!

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited October 2017
    Options

I am puking pink, get the bucket.

• Loveroflife
    edited October 2017
    Options

• Loveroflife
    edited October 2017
    Options

• shepkitty
    edited October 2017
    Options

Related image

Related image

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited October 2017
    Options

Also a hater of Pinktober. Very surprised about the 1 in 3 will get Metastatic BC statistic - NO ONE FROM MY MEDICAL TEAM HAS EVER MENTIONED THIS! Thank you for the awareness shared in this topic and suggestions for where to donate.

• traveltext
    edited October 2017
    Options

Celia, more like 70% don't get a recurrence. And with your low stage an grade, honestly, you are in a very low probability of getting it back. But, ask your medical team to be more honest with you and hit them with any questions you have.

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited October 2017
    Options

I never had a lump that anyone could feel.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,251
    edited October 2017
    Options

I also did not have a lump--my IDC was discovered on my 20th annual mammogram. While it's true that 30% of those first diagnosed with "early" breast cancer will develop metastases, the definition in that statistic of "early" includes all stages short of IIIC. Some of us with ER+ Stage IA (and I know at least one originally dx'ed with ER+ DCIS)l, if we live long enough to not have died of cardiopulmonary/vascular disease, dementia, infection or physical trauma, will have recurrences because over time ER+ cells can mutate to produce their own estrogen to facilitate their mitosis and eventually migration as mets. But most of those of us first diagnosed with DCIS or Stage IA ER+ well past age 60 won't live long enough to see it come back (though perhaps the pathologists will find it during our autopsies).

That being said, I wholeheartedly agree that there is too much bullshit about "awareness" and "early detection saves lives:" sometimes in an asymptomatic patient, Stage IV is the initial "early" diagnosis. "Saving the girls" (never mind the offensive synonyms) is not the point: often to save the patient "the girls" have got to go. There is already more than enough money funneled to "awareness" and detection. BUT there needs to be more research into how to prevent progression to Stage IV, as well as to figure out how to cure metastatic breast cancer--there have been cures of other cancers that have progressed to Stage IV, and not enough research dollars have been funneled into how to crack the code when it comes to MBC.

However, though I used to, I no longer share the general antipathy (much less revulsion) here towards the color pink, nor what it symbolizes. I wear it (from my own closet, jewelry box, sock drawer and lipstick tray) in solidarity with sisters & brothers (blue too afflicted with breast cancer at all stages. I wear it in support of volunteer organizations like Immerman Angels and the Pink Fund, which, respectively, give peer-to-peer support and financial assistance to breast cancer patients, and now that I've learned of it, Metavivor. (And of course, BCO). I won't buy pinkwashing merchandise from vendors--it's unintentionally deceptive at best and a callous scam at worst. But I will contribute directly to responsible and ethical breast cancer charities, not just during October.

I will even wear the pink ribbon. But not one I bought one month out of the year, sold as a PR gimmick. The research and the fundraising--especially for prevention and cure of MBC--must go on year-round.

• shepkitty
    edited October 2017
    Options

Lots of great contributions! Just as no two cancers are alike, no two cancer experiences are alike. Having different views and emotions is only logical.

Please search out or create postable images, quotes, emotions, hopes, fears, facts.....things that each of you want the world "out there" to know. Post a picture of a handwritten message if you like. The goal here is to amass images and messages here to repost to other public sites.

Most people (not us!) believe breast cancer is no big deal and totally curable. We need to make a stand and educate as many people and misguided businesses as possible.

There are so many people who want to donate for "the cause" but don't know which charity to choose. it's up to us to help guide them.

I was DX'd at Stage IV from day one. I was 47, with no cancer risks of any type. Like so many others, my breast cancer didn't have any noticeable lumps and didn't show up in mammograms. I also have never had elevated tumor markers. I have mets in most of my bones, several lymph nodes, and my brain. I'm approaching 5 years - I want to see at least 50 more! I don't want to die - I don't want my BCO Sisters and Brothers to die.

As the days go on, and new promo sites appear for various businesses, please share them here so we can all swarm them with the posts we've gathered. Please also share those sites on Pinktober Revolution as well!

"We are 193,966 members in 81 forums discussing 143,638 topics."

We have the numbers, Let's use them!

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited October 2017
    Options

Thanks Shep for the visual on mets occurrence as 3:10. I'm sure I've heard the numbers, but it hit me differently.

• traveltext
    edited October 2017
    Options

Post relocated to Pinktober Revolution.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited October 2017
    Options

It might be best to focus, on this thread, on educational images to post on social media, as the OP suggests. That way this thread can be the go-to place when we need an effective way to communicate facts necessary for awareness of the truth about breast cancer. We have the very good Pinktober Revolution thread to share shameful pinkwashing images and discuss the problem of pink marketing. We have a specific thread to comment on BCO's Take the Fright Out campaign, and I think it will be most effective to concentrate our comments about the campaign there.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited October 2017
    Options

• spookiesmom
    edited October 2017
    Options

• spookiesmom
    edited October 2017
    Options