Topic: Podcast: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder After a Cancer Diagnosis

Forum: Mental Health: Because Cancer Doesn't Just Affect Your Breasts — Meet and support others who are affected by these issues around anxiety, depression & other emotional effects.

Posted on: May 14, 2019 03:02PM

Posted on: May 14, 2019 03:02PM

moderators wrote:

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder After a Cancer Diagnosis

December 19, 2018

Grosklags kelly

For nearly 25 years, Kelly Grosklags has dedicated her practice to minimizing suffering through her work in oncology, palliative care and hospice. An experienced therapist, Kelly is a licensed clinical social worker and a board-certified diplomat in clinical social work. She also earned a fellowship in grief counseling from the American Academy of Health Care Professionals and is the author of A Comforted Heart: An Oncology Psychotherapist Perspective on Finding Meaning and Hope During Illness and Loss. Kelly speaks frequently about end-of-life issues, including care, grief and loss, both in person and on her website, Conversations With Kelly. Her passionate and supportive demeanor helps patients, caregivers and health professionals connect with the wisdom of making life more meaningful, coping with depression and anxiety, transforming fear into hope, healing versus curing, and the wisdom of dying a good death.

Listen to the podcast to hear Kelly talk about:

• what PTSD is, what causes it, and some of the most common symptoms of PTSD in people diagnosed with cancer
  • why people who've experienced trauma in the past may want to be proactive and schedule an appointment with a mental health professional or spiritual guide shortly after being diagnosed
  • when PTSD can happen
  • how PTSD is treated
  • three things people diagnosed with breast cancer should know about PTSD

For more information on PTSD in people diagnosed with cancer, you can read a piece Kelly wrote for the journal Oncology Issues.

Running time: 38:18

Listen now or read the transcript.

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Page 1 of 3 (26 results)

Mar 24, 2021 08:51PM phoenixrose8 wrote:

I have read this transcript and it was simply amazing. I have developed PTSD type symptoms during cancer treatment and on top of other mental health issues. I have a psychiatrist to handle my physical symptoms but I'm finding it hard to find a therapist that I can afford that deals specifically with cancer in general. I wish I had an oncology psychiatrist earlier on. I stopped going to my regular therapy sessions after my diagnosis because they specialized in OCD and anxiety. How can I be a part of helping to bridge mental health and physical health for cancer patients?

Dx IDC, Right, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Breast, Lymph nodes Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Mar 25, 2021 09:03AM annabelle2 wrote:

I wish I had seen this 2 years ago. Phoenix I sent you a PM.

Dx 2/9/2018, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/9/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 7/18/2018 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 8/15/2018 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 1/22/2019

Mar 25, 2021 01:39PM phoenixrose8 wrote:

Thank you Anabelle2!

Thank you for your PM! I haven't chatted through PM in so long! Also, let me know your thoughts on the article and we can discuss!

I hope more people find this article helpful as well!

Dx IDC, Right, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Breast, Lymph nodes Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Mar 30, 2021 09:28PM phoenixrose8 wrote:

Please read if you are struggling with PTSD. Hug

Mar 31, 2021 01:56PM - edited Mar 31, 2021 01:56PM by phoenixrose8

bump

Apr 3, 2021 04:16PM phoenixrose8 wrote:

Let’s start a quotes game!

State a quote that inspires you. My first quote is from Albert Einstein:

Space-time tells matter how to move; matter tells space-time how to curve.”

Apr 3, 2021 11:34PM phoenixrose8 wrote:

“Spread Gratitude.”

Apr 6, 2021 09:51PM phoenixrose8 wrote:

I'm going to drop the quotations and just turn this into a log of interesting thoughts I get as bumps for this topic :

What is one of the things you learned during the experience of being a cancer patient?

I say “The difference between courage and bravery" .

Apr 7, 2021 06:14PM phoenixrose8 wrote:

Take a step back and look again. Perspective.

Apr 9, 2021 07:30PM phoenixrose8 wrote:

"Simplicity, patience, compassion.
These three are your greatest treasures.
Simple in actions and thoughts, you return to the source of being.
Patient with both friends and enemies,
you accord with the way things are.
Compassionate toward yourself,
you reconcile all beings in the world."
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Page 1 of 3 (26 results)

Scroll to top button