Topic: Podcast: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder After a Cancer Diagnosis

Forum: Mental Health: Because Cancer Doesn't Just Affect Your Breasts — Meet and support others who are affected by these issues around anxiety, depression & other emotional effects.

Posted on: May 14, 2019 03:02PM

Posted on: May 14, 2019 03:02PM

moderators wrote:

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder After a Cancer Diagnosis

December 19, 2018

Grosklags kelly

For nearly 25 years, Kelly Grosklags has dedicated her practice to minimizing suffering through her work in oncology, palliative care and hospice. An experienced therapist, Kelly is a licensed clinical social worker and a board-certified diplomat in clinical social work. She also earned a fellowship in grief counseling from the American Academy of Health Care Professionals and is the author of A Comforted Heart: An Oncology Psychotherapist Perspective on Finding Meaning and Hope During Illness and Loss. Kelly speaks frequently about end-of-life issues, including care, grief and loss, both in person and on her website, Conversations With Kelly. Her passionate and supportive demeanor helps patients, caregivers and health professionals connect with the wisdom of making life more meaningful, coping with depression and anxiety, transforming fear into hope, healing versus curing, and the wisdom of dying a good death.

Listen to the podcast to hear Kelly talk about:

• what PTSD is, what causes it, and some of the most common symptoms of PTSD in people diagnosed with cancer
  • why people who've experienced trauma in the past may want to be proactive and schedule an appointment with a mental health professional or spiritual guide shortly after being diagnosed
  • when PTSD can happen
  • how PTSD is treated
  • three things people diagnosed with breast cancer should know about PTSD

For more information on PTSD in people diagnosed with cancer, you can read a piece Kelly wrote for the journal Oncology Issues.

Running time: 38:18

Listen now or read the transcript.

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Page 3 of 3 (26 results)

Jan 22, 2022 09:19AM - edited Jan 22, 2022 09:21AM by parakeetsrule

Tamoxifen and SSRIs aren't supposed to be taken at the same time. The SSRIs can reduce its effect.

Stage 2 at 37, Stage 4 at 41. Cancer is dumb. Cookies are good. Dx 3/21/2017, IDC, Left, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 5/15/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 12/8/2021 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 12/13/2021 Piqray (alpelisib) Dx IDC, Other, Stage IV, ER+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Jan 22, 2022 09:38AM Vandercat wrote:

Do you know about anastrozole? TIA

Dx 1/4/2022, DCIS, Right, Stage 0, Grade 2 Surgery 2/1/2022 Lumpectomy: Right

Jan 22, 2022 10:06AM parakeetsrule wrote:

I don't know, I never took that one. Your oncologist should be able to help you figure all that out! You're also still very early in the process and things can change.
Stage 2 at 37, Stage 4 at 41. Cancer is dumb. Cookies are good. Dx 3/21/2017, IDC, Left, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 5/15/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 12/8/2021 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 12/13/2021 Piqray (alpelisib) Dx IDC, Other, Stage IV, ER+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Jan 22, 2022 04:46PM moderators wrote:

Hi Vandercat,

Here is a page where the Aromatase Inhibitors are explained: Aromatase Inhibitors.

There are three aromatase inhibitors:

If we can provide more information, please let us know!
To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Jul 20, 2022 05:05PM phoenixrose8 wrote:

Has anyone who completed treatment have a new zest for life but then lose that after a year? I used to be so happy after I got the all clear that the cancer was gone but now I feel depressed.

Dx IDC, Right, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Breast, Lymph nodes Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Jul 20, 2022 11:22PM ratherbesailing wrote:

Phoenixrose8, it is very common for breast cancer survivors to struggle after they have completed treatment. Some say it is the vacuum of being on your own after so many months of constant treatment and people offering support. Sometimes we are left with side effects of treatment, or fears of recurrence. I'm going to venture a guess that Covid has made everything worse for many.

Whatever the reason, know that you are not alone. Most people here will say things get better with time, but that may not help you now. So don't hesitate to get counseling (your oncologists may have recommendations.)

Wishing you better days ahead.

Page 3 of 3 (26 results)

Scroll to top button