We are 223,501 members in 82 forums discussing 157,287 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: When Something Ridiculous Sends Your Anxiety Into Overdrive

Forum: Emotional Crises: Anxiety, Depression & Other Emotional Effects —

Meet and support others who are affected by these issues around breast cancer fears, diagnosis and treatment.

Posted on: Oct 7, 2019 01:19PM

Lexica wrote:

I've been trying to manage my anxiety and have learned to just 'put things in a box' when that 'thing' triggers my anxiety. For example - when my four year old says 'mommy, will you be alive when I'm older - I hope so so I can always snuggle you' (which she says almost on a weekly basis), I am good and boxing that right up and packing it away and not letting the anxiety overwhelm me. (I lost my mom when I was 17, so I think my kids have this hyper-awareness of my mortality, even though they don't really know about or get the cancer thing).

However, I am in complete meltdown over my halloween costume. Ridiculous, right? We always do a theme as a family for halloween - last year was Wizard of Oz, this year it's Avengers. I am going to be Black Widow and *SPOILER ALERT* I haven't seen Endgame and just found out when I was ordering the costume that she dies in Endgame. COMPLETE MELTDOWN. I sat in the bathroom at work trying not to cry and am fight the strong urge to return everything and change my costume. This is so ridiculous! Honest question - would anxiety medicine help? I know it sounds silly - I don't want to add another med, side effects and all, but truly, I don't want to spiral into these anxiety meltdowns for something so silly.

Really ironic part...I was the wicked witch last year. A character who also dies. Just realized that now...

Diagnosed at 34. 2 years of Ibrance via PALLAS trial (ends 4/2019) Dx 7/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/15/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Dx 12/27/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 5/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Radiation Therapy 1/16/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane) Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol)

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Oct 7, 2019 02:58PM bcincolorado wrote:

Not silly to feel that way. Cancer treatments mess with emotions too. Don't minimize how you are feeling. Would medicine help? Possibly. I know a lot of MO prescribe them routinely because of the effects described. If you are open to taking something to help call your Primary doc and/or MO and get in and be honest with them when you schedule. Mine allow emails as well to them and they may prescribe without you going in if you tell them what is going on and your feelings.

Best of luck to you.

Dx 8/2009, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/7/2010 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left Hormonal Therapy 1/15/2010 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 1/30/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Oct 7, 2019 03:53PM - edited Oct 7, 2019 03:54PM by Yndorian1

Google Bach Flowers, buy the Rescue Remedy, take it everywhere with you and put 4 drops under your tongue when you're anxious ... You'll see the difference! It also does not interfere with any medication, does not produce accustoming or all the undesirable side effects of anxiolytics. Good Luck!

"Only Love turns the mud into a Miracle" Silvio Rodriguez Dx @ 46 Dx 9/2018, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 4/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Chemotherapy 10/17/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 6/10/2019 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 9/1/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Oct 7, 2019 04:26PM hapa wrote:

Lexica, is it possible that you have never processed your emotions from diagnosis and treatment? A lot of people bottle that stuff up during treatment as kind of a coping mechanism, but it needs to be dealt with sooner or later. You may benefit from talking to a therapist.

Dx 12/14/2017, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2018 Zoladex (goserelin) Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 2/14/2018 Ibrance (palbociclib) Dx 3/20/2018, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIIA, 3/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Targeted Therapy 3/28/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 3/28/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 3/28/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 8/22/2018 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Radiation Therapy 10/22/2018 Whole-breast: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 12/21/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole), Zoladex (goserelin) Targeted Therapy Nerlynx

Oct 7, 2019 05:05PM gb2115 wrote:

Aww...I know this isn't the point of what you wrote, but I have seen Endgame, and I think you should totally be Black Widow for Halloween if you want to!!! But definitely watch it the movie when you get a chance, it's really good!!!

Dx IDC in October 2016, stage 2A, 1.2 cm ER/PR+ Her2-, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes. Mammaprint low risk luminal A, Lumpectomy + radiation + tamoxifen. Age 38 at diagnosis.

Oct 7, 2019 07:09PM Lexica wrote:

lol gb2115, thanks - I will do it once I can get my hubby on board. he says he's burned out with all the Marvel movies. and thank you all for the replies - I do think hapa might have hit the nail on the head and seeing a therapist is the way I need to go.

Diagnosed at 34. 2 years of Ibrance via PALLAS trial (ends 4/2019) Dx 7/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/15/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Dx 12/27/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 5/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Radiation Therapy 1/16/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane) Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol)

Oct 8, 2019 03:09AM Jack-Bear wrote:

I agree about Rescue Remedy!🐾 We used it for rescue dogs that were frightened. I was doubtful. Then I read that it was made for people!!😳 I discovered that 4 drops is also the amount for a dog. We always checked online to see which HealthFood store had the cheapest price, because it can vary little bit. It is a small bottle that is almost the size of a tube of lipstick.

NancyB ♥️
HeartMusic

Oct 13, 2019 02:33PM Cubbie2015 wrote:

Oh Lexica, I know exactly how you feel.  Stuff like that sets me off, too.  The worst part is that what you're doing is a hobby, something that you do to take your mind off the world and have a little fun, and here comes this intruding into it.  Sometimes I get so disgusted, thinking, can't we have a little peace some place? And don't get me started on Focktober.  Can't even watch a football game.

I wish I had some answers.  I have not been able to take any antidepressants or anti anxiety medications because they all conflict with Lupron.  I've heard good things about Lexapro, though, it's what my doctor wanted me to take before we checked interactions.   I haven't had any luck with talk therapy, either.  Either they are nice folks with no clue what to do with cancer patients, or they are just not very good in general, I've had both kinds.  Be prepared to interview a few people to see if you can find someone you click with.  

1.8mm micromet in sentinel node; BRCA negative; chose bmx due to family history; age 43 at diagnosis; Oncotype 15 Dx 9/4/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/8/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 12/17/2015 Whole-breast: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 1/12/2016 Zoladex (goserelin) Hormonal Therapy 6/29/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)