Join Us

We are 225,723 members in 83 forums discussing 164,194 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Am I the only one dreading October?

Forum: Mental Health: Because Cancer Doesn't Just Affect Your Breasts —

Meet and support others who are affected by these issues around anxiety, depression & other emotional effects.

Posted on: Sep 27, 2021 05:09PM

LoverofJesus wrote:

Am I the only person dreading October? To me it’s not awareness month. It’s shove it in our face month. I’m sorry I would rather raise money for a cure. Seems like we just keep raising money on research for different treatments. Mostly new chemo, but nothing that actually cures any cancer. But, pink is not my favorite color. In fact now I go out of my way NOT to wear it.
I guess being reminded daily for a month of what changed my life forever is just not what I prefer. And honestly most of the people I talk to that have gone through it and are going through it don’t like it either.

I think it’s more for the family and friends of the cancer survivors and ones that have passed.

If I’m just being bitter I’m sorry. But I just had to vent. Please forgive me and show me Grace.
I just know mentally this has been so hard without a daily reminder.

Dx 5/22/2021, ILC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 6/15/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 11/2/2021 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Page 1 of 1 (17 results)

Posts 1 - 17 (17 total)

Sep 30, 2021 04:03AM PurpleCat wrote:

Yup. Maybe doubly for me because both my surgeries were in October. I clearly remember the phone call a few days after the lumpectomy that blindsided me with the news that what had looked like DCIS on initial biopsy had turned out to be IDC upon surgical pathology, and I'd need more surgery to check lymph nodes. After a long exhausting day of learning more and scheduling a second surgery and updating my people and generally thinking of nothing but breast cancer for hours, I made a grocery stop, as much for the comfort of a safe familiar routine and place than for any actual grocery needs. The first thing I saw upon entering was a huge pinked-out display. Pink cookies! Pink water bottles! Pink picnic supplies! Ribbons, ribbons, ribbons. And a big pink neon sign that said "Ha! We caught you thinking for more than two seconds about something other than the fact that you have invasive breast cancer, so here's a reminder." (OK, there wasn't actually a sign, but there might as well have been.)

I know there was a time when breast cancer and mammograms were taboo topics, and it may well be that Pinktober has saved a lot of lives. Maybe it continues to do so. But I really wish there was a way to opt out once you've actually had it.

Dx 10/2018, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/4/2018 Lumpectomy Surgery 10/18/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Surgery Prophylactic ovary removal

Sep 30, 2021 06:03AM MountainMia wrote:

I love October. But I don't watch commercial television with commercials, and I'm rarely out, so I don't see all the "awareness" stuff.

And I love pink. Not the icky bubblegum pink used in the campaign, but lots of pinks. Roses, babies' cheeks, and so on.

Still I get ya. If there is anything to be gained by it all, perhaps one way is to just talk one-on-one with one person about what it's actually like to deal with. Help educate one person. That might make the whole month worthwhile.

The rain comes and the rain goes, but the mountain remains. I am the mountain.

Sep 30, 2021 07:48AM AlwaysMeC wrote:

Yep. I have way too many aquaintances that like to keep up with the Joneses. It's not terrible if you look past it and think okay well maybe they just want to share their happiness and think others would like to know they are doing well because friends tend to care. On the other hand, I know for a fact that my feeds and emails will be flooded with Pinktober walks, full of pictures of people laughing and having day picnics to celebrate their willingness to go out and walk in a social setting for something they aren't connected to in any way. I know I'll be asked to donate to their virtuous causes by buying the kiddos pink box of cookies or fancy cooking utensil with the added bonus of helping their small side business and "curing cancer".

I will be reminded almost every day, and almost everywhere that I am getting treated for breast cancer, even though I so desperately want to not have it on my mind. Although it's not my favorite color, I actually like pink. I hate that companies have adopted cancer awareness as a theme, with guaranteed triggering statements and a specific color to get you on their team. And I hate that I will most definitely end up feeling guilty for despising family and friends for a few seconds for being healthy and smiley while wearing that pink t shirt and sporting the new pink mouse pad they bought, because it reminds me that I am not healthy and they are smiling because they are not me.

Dx 4/2/2021, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (FISH)

Sep 30, 2021 08:05AM moth wrote:

I take weekends off

Initial dx at 50. Seriously?? “Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next." blog: Never Tell Me the Odds

Dx 12/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 2/14/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 2/2020, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/18/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Immunotherapy 3/19/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab) Chemotherapy 11/26/2020 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Dx 12/9/2020, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to lungs, Grade 3, PR-, HER2- (IHC) Radiation Therapy 12/9/2020 External: Chest wall Dx 1/28/2021, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Radiation Therapy 3/3/2021 External: Bone

Sep 30, 2021 09:07AM Trishyla wrote:

Thank you for sharing that, moth. Exactly how I feel right now.

Dx 8/30/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/30/2016, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 9/6/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 9/28/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 4/4/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Chemotherapy 8/4/2017 Xeloda (capecitabine)

Sep 30, 2021 09:55AM Hopeful82014 wrote:

I just don't pay any attention to it anymore. I never liked the idea of October being hijacked by pink; to me the month is for planting bulbs and raking leaves and having fun with Halloween. There's no room in there for pink.

Dx IDC

Sep 30, 2021 10:07AM ErnRoo wrote:

I am few years out from my BC and I hate October BC Awareness Month. At my company, they hand out pink t-shirts so they can get photos to post on social media to show how much they care. They do not do raise one penny . . . for anything. It's all a PR stunt. I declined my shirt. I counter the BC silliness with an all out Halloween Decor--go Orange!

Ernroo

Sep 30, 2021 11:02AM Emily21 wrote:

Thanks Moth, pink is the last colour I would associate with how I feel. I think there is a lot of pink merchandise sold and not a lot of the proceeds go where they should. Roll on November.

Dx 9/4/2020, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 3/31 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 9/23/2020 Lumpectomy Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 3DCRT: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol)

Sep 30, 2021 11:07AM Poppy_90 wrote:

I posted this in another area, but didn’t get any replies. So my apologies in advance for the second post.

My question is on advocating for better funding for MBC and for disparity in care. Can anyone share how they have successfully become involved in advocacy? Thanks!

Dx 5/1/2020, IDC, Right, 2cm, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 5/28/2020 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 10/4/2020 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/4/2020 Breast

Sep 30, 2021 12:15PM moth wrote:

Poppy - maybe have a look at metavivor https://www.metavivor.org/about-us/

oct 13 is mbc awareness day & they're lighting up landmarks around north america in the mbc colors

I take weekends off

Initial dx at 50. Seriously?? “Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next." blog: Never Tell Me the Odds

Dx 12/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 2/14/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 2/2020, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/18/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Immunotherapy 3/19/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab) Chemotherapy 11/26/2020 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Dx 12/9/2020, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to lungs, Grade 3, PR-, HER2- (IHC) Radiation Therapy 12/9/2020 External: Chest wall Dx 1/28/2021, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Radiation Therapy 3/3/2021 External: Bone

Sep 30, 2021 12:51PM Poppy_90 wrote:

thank you, Moth! I thought you might answer.

Dx 5/1/2020, IDC, Right, 2cm, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 5/28/2020 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 10/4/2020 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/4/2020 Breast

Sep 30, 2021 04:14PM 2019whatayear wrote:

I lean in to Halloween

Re BC I’ll be posting on my social media about Stage IV - I’ll be sharing the metavivorlinks to mBC people’s blogs and doing training so I can support Force since I’m a BRCA2 mutant.

My thought is it’s time we moved from “awareness” to advocacy. So I’m working on putting that into action.

5/6/2019 IDC 2cm, micromet 1/9 nodes, BRCA2+, ER+, PR+, HER- BMX 6/2019, A/C & Taxol 2019, Radiation, BSO - preventative 2/2020, Letrozole 3/1/2020, Started Lynparza for 1 year preventative on 7/18/2021

Oct 1, 2021 07:24AM AlwaysMeC wrote:

I've already shared how turned off I am about how breast cancer awareness is marketed in October, but I would like to advocate regardless. Thanks to those who have already shared links to better places to support. Along with those, are there any other links I can post on my socials? Thanks in advance.

Dx 4/2/2021, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (FISH)

Oct 1, 2021 10:33AM Hopeful82014 wrote:

For those of us embracing autumn and Halloween and fall colors instead of pink, perhaps our motto should be "orange is the new pink."

Dx IDC

Oct 1, 2021 10:53AM December11 wrote:

I don't mind pink or breast cancer awareness month. But the people who came up with "save the ta tas" or "save the boobies" or people who just wear that kind of stuff need to smacked up side of the head.

Dx 12/11/2019, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (FISH) Chemotherapy 1/3/2020 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/3/2020 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/3/2020 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 5/19/2020 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 7/13/2020

Oct 3, 2021 08:39AM Beesie wrote:

Okay, this is something I don't understand:

https://people.com/health/nbc-kristen-dahlgren-reveals-her-cancer-recovery-has-been-infinitely-harder-than-treatment/

Good for Kristen Dahlgren for speaking out and for presenting some of the reality about breast cancer. She's very brave to do that. But in her tweet, she includes the link to "iRide for Tatas 2021". That may be the charity that she, or her employer, NBC, have chosen to support, but why doesn't she point out that the name is offensive and the funding raised by the ride will be going to save the lives of women with breast cancer, it's not for "tatas". Maybe she really isn't offended by the use of the word, but I would find that surprising, given all that she has gone through with her reconstruction struggles. I suspect it's more that she doesn't want to offend those who run and support the ride.

The cause seems lost when women with BC who have a public platform reinforce the sexualization and infantilization of breast cancer.

Dx 9/15/2005 Right, 7cm+, DCIS-Mi, Stage IA, Gr 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR- ** Dx 01/16/2019 Left, 8mm, IDC, Stage IA, Gr 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) ** Surgery 11/30/2005 MX Right, 03/06/2019 MX Left ** Hormonal Therapy 05/2019 Letrozole

Oct 19, 2021 03:58PM moth wrote:

I wrote a guest post for Nany's Point for her regular mets Monday feature. It's called "Dear breast cancer survivor" - about how breast cancer & advocacy campaigns have to include metastatic patients

https://t.co/rNOGSNC8Q0?amp=1

I take weekends off

Page 1 of 1 (17 results)