Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Immediate Counseling Services?

I had a suspicious spot on a CT last week, so I am having another on Wednesday. I have been extremely anxious since I found out about needing another scan. I have scheduled a therapy appointment with a new counselor for next week, and my MO has called in an Ativan prescription for me. But I feel like I need to talk to a professional now about how to manage these overwhelming feelings. I had triple negative, so if my cancer spread, I know I have fewer options for treatment.

Does anyone know of a phone number or website that can arrange quick counseling sessions that might help me?

Comments

• mle42
    mle42 Member Posts: 124

Violetcat, I don't have personal experience with these but you could try:

Suicide prevention lifeline 1-800-273-8255, The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources

SAMHSA treatment referral 1-877-726-4727, they may be able to connect you with a mental health provider who can see you sooner than your counselor next week.

National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) helpline 1-800-950-6264

There may also be local hotlines or crisis services in your area that you can call, try googling something like "mental health hotline" and the name of your state or county.

• Poppy_90
    Poppy_90 Member Posts: 84

Violetcat:

American Cancer Society has a 24 hour helpline: 1-800-227-2345. They should be able to help you find the right person to talk to. Please keep us updated. I know reaching out is hard, but please take care of yourself. Sending you good thoughts and hugs

• jo-jo2018
    jo-jo2018 Member Posts: 139

Violetcat - you are in my thoughts. Take care of yourself and reach out to people. We are here for you!

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605

Another option is one of those online counseling services like BetterHelp and TalkSpace. ❤️
  • violetcat
    violetcat Member Posts: 7

Thank you for the suggestions. I called the American Cancer Society and got some suggestions. I knew I had seen commercials for easy access counseling, but I couldn't remember the name of the website. It was TalkSpace. Thanks for the reminder, ParakeetsRule.

• jo-jo2018
    jo-jo2018 Member Posts: 139

Glad to hear you got some suggestions.